Page 1 of 1

How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:29 pm
by Hartley
For those who have 17-19 inch monitors.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:35 pm
by wild_Willie2
I gues it looks good, but I haven't tried the game on anything else than a 19'' TFT yet... [;)]

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:52 pm
by Belphegor
It looks fine.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:23 pm
by Reg
With my 19" LCD, I find the text gets a but furry when the 1024x768 game screens resize to 1240x1024 so I usually run the game in a 1024x768 window on the desk top or tell the monitor not to resize (leaves a black border around the edge).

Still everything is quite legible and it is a matter of taste whether you bother with this or not.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:19 am
by stretch
Im playing on a 20" 1600x 1200 LCD. It isn't totally crisp to look at when playing but it doesn't bother me. and everything bothers me in life so it must really be ok. It is a shame it wasnt windowed properly but it gets by ok. Civ3 at 1600x1200 is darn fun and cool and crisp. Not that I have time to play anymore with WitP on my hard drive.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:50 am
by Stwa
Hi stretch,

I was thinking about getting a 1600 x 1200 TFT, which is a 4:3 aspect ratio for native display mode. I am surprised to hear that the game is not crisp at this resolution. (I supposed when streched [:D] - no pun intended. Is this more the monitor here or the resizing of the text fonts, please elaborate if you can.

Thanks,

Stwa

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:19 pm
by 2Stepper
Well I'm running it on a 19" SONY flat panel (SDM-HS95P for any curious about model) and its as crisp as can be. I also run it full color (32bit) with the altFont, and have no issues at all.

The only peculiarity I've noted and I dismissed it as being monitor driven is big sea battles bog down after a while. Methinks that's still a program leak of some sort and totally unrelated to the monitor.

Best 500 bucks I've spent in a while. [8D]

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:06 pm
by stretch
Its just thje typical look any LCD gets when it runs at a different resolution than it is designed for. Fuzzy is a strong word, its not blurry. When Im playing I don't even think about it. I don't notice any stretching at all due to the 4:3. I'm sure its there a little but its not enough for me to see.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:08 pm
by Oleg Mastruko
ORIGINAL: Hartley

For those who have 17-19 inch monitors.

EIZO L767 and Samsung ... something (Japanese and Korean companies are true to cryptic model names today as they were in time of WW2 [;)])

Both are 19" and 1280 x 1024 native resolution. WITP looks great on both. I am wary of saying it looks great though, because I'd hate to encourage companies of doing fixed-resolution games like WITP. Games should adapt to the desktop resolution Windows are using at the moment, period.

But the truth is game looks great. Since I knew I'd be using monitors to play the game a LOT I took care to check them in "combat conditions" before making the buy, and it reassured me the decision to switch to LCD was right (I used CRTs before).

O.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:56 am
by Gem35
I use a 19" Hyundai L90D+DVI with a geforce 6600gt video card, at 1280x1024 and WitP looks amazing. Don't forget to set your screen to clear type though, makes a difference.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:17 am
by ilovestrategy
I just bought a cheap 17' LCD for $200 and it looks ok to me.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:40 am
by general billy
19.5 in,
Didnt like it first, but then it started to look great, think I kind'of gotten used to it. But WITP dont run in 1280 x1024 mode, wish it did.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:59 pm
by rogueusmc
I have a 21" CRT I run in 1024x768. It makes things big enough to see from about 4' away and still have planty of visual area. I sit back with my wireless thumb ball mouse and relax while I play.

RE: How does the game look on a 1280x1024 LCD ?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:47 pm
by Peter Fisla
I have Samsung 915N (8ms refresh) 19" and I play WitP in window mode as I don't like the fuziness when I play in full screen mode, 1024x768 WitP screen doesn't strech well to 1280 x1024 from my perspective. Would be nice for the future to support multiple resolutions. I guess once we users will support WitP source code this would be one of my first things I would like to work on.