Page 1 of 2
Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:01 pm
by Brady
???
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:13 pm
by RBWhite
Germans attack Santa Klauses workshop as Rudolph watches the carnage in total shock[:D][8|]
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:16 pm
by ilovestrategy
ORIGINAL: RBWhite
Germans attack Santa Klauses workshop as Rudolph watches the carnage in total shock[:D][8|]
ROFL!!! That is too funny LOL!
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:31 pm
by RBWhite
Reindeer?
Norway, Russia, Artic Circle?
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:34 pm
by RBWhite
All I could think of at the moment[8|]
I was tought always go with your first thought or impression[:'(]
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:55 pm
by stevemk1a
It's a Reindeer, so I'm thinking Finland ... one of the planes looks kinda like a Hurricane (perhaps in Finnish service??) the other planes are harder to make out [&:]
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:58 pm
by RBWhite
I was just thinking Russia & Finland disagreement
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:04 am
by stevemk1a
I just checked and Finland was sold 12 Hawker Hurricanes in 1940. Russians later also got leand-lease Hurricanes, so I guess it could be either side in the Continuation War, or Finnish Hurri's in the Winter War ...
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:12 am
by RBWhite
I would say that they are all Hurricanes, Mk Is & were in use by the Fins
Looking real hard, the tail marking suggest Finland
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:41 am
by RBWhite
MK I Hurricanes
1 Reindeer
1 Volcano
1 Dead Tree
The Continuation War\Winter War.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:58 am
by Brigz
What a strange picture. You would think with someone in front taking it's picture and an explosion behind and Hurricanes flying low overhead that reindeer would be long gone before a picture could be snapped. Either that is a stuffed reindeer, someone's pet, or one real bad case of "frozen in the headlights". I'd like to know the source of that picture from Brady if it's available. One of the strangest WWII pictures I've ever seen.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:51 am
by RBWhite
Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom[8|]
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:46 pm
by Procrustes
What a weird picture! My first reaction is that it must have been altered - two pictures put together as one. Really looking forward to hearing more about this....
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:52 pm
by Martti
One squadron of british Hurricanes I's fought in Norway in 1940. This picture might have been taken then. The white vertical line visible on the tail of the plane might be from british nationality markings.
The Hurricanes sold to Finland arrived too late to take part in the Winter War. Also, the finnish planes had nationality markings only in wings and fuselage, not in the tail.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:01 pm
by DandricSturm
Marlin Perkins' Wild Kingdom
Wild Kingdom
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:31 pm
by Brady
Hurricanes, it is[:)]
Reindeer, it is[:)]
...............................
Image source indicates that these are Russian Hurricanes, and pisture was taken in Russia, thought it could well be along the Finish front. The MK of Huricane is prety hard to tell thought the conspicious lack of Hispano cannons protruding from the wings means they are either MK I or MK IIA or B's.
I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:36 pm
by JTGEN
I'd say Soviet Hurricanes too. Finnish ones not used that high up in the north. Also the formation is a bit 'unfinnish'. That high up in the north they would be flying against the Germans in continuation war.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:42 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Plus, they're flying in V's, which the Red Air Force was among the last to use.
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:11 pm
by Procrustes
I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.
I think so, too - at least two - probably three pictures put together. If the picture was real I don't think you would have the clarity you see throughout the depth of field - either the things in front or in back would be blurry.
Way cool, though. Thanks!
RE: Name This Unlimited...(62)
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:18 am
by Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Procrustes
I think this is likely a composate photo, though I may be wrong.
I think so, too - at least two - probably three pictures put together. If the picture was real I don't think you would have the clarity you see throughout the depth of field - either the things in front or in back would be blurry.
Way cool, though. Thanks!
Even on aesthetic grounds I think it is impossible. Look how the antlers perfectly fill the void let by the two groups of Hurricanes. Not to mention the risk to the reindeer and photographer from shrapnel.