Dear Mother, (an MCNA summary)
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 2:35 am
Dear Mother,
My long campaign in North Africa is over, and now I can tell you all about it.
As you know from my earlier letters, I waited by my mail box for my new assignment for several weeks last spring and early summer. When I received my assignment, my heart raced with anticipation. I was being sent to North Africa at last!
My campaign started off well enought,but soon Icame to respect and be wary of the Tommies and their equipment. Their 2lb guns are hard to spot in the desert, and the Matilda II proved to be a worthy advisory to our Panzers. However, we adjusted our tactics, and with help from our 88 AT guns, we learned how to handle these difficulties.
As we raced back and forth across the trackless desert, I made some new friends. Barxia(sp?)Bill comes to mind. He was very helpful when he was around. I also lost some friends and men as they did their best to fight for the Fatherland.
Also, I had the pleasure to visit Malta for a short time. Things there didn't turn out the way we would have hoped, but it was an interesting time none ther less.
During my time in the desert, I was slightly wounded (don't worry I recoverd nicely). Also, I earned the Iron Cross and Knight's Cross. I have never felt prouder than when Gen. Rommel pinned the Iron Cross on my dusty coat.
I have to admit, though, that I ame happy to be leaving North Africa. The last few weeks were wearing on my troops and me. It was obvious in our battles, and we probably suffered more casualties than we should have. Our last mission was to escort Gen. Rommel himself. I am happy to report we got the General to his destination without a scratch.
Well it's off to Russia for me now. I'm looking forward to being away from the deseret and the cooler weather. I'm sure the winters in Russia can't be as cold as at home.
Your loving son,
Hans
[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Max VonLoben ]</p>
My long campaign in North Africa is over, and now I can tell you all about it.
As you know from my earlier letters, I waited by my mail box for my new assignment for several weeks last spring and early summer. When I received my assignment, my heart raced with anticipation. I was being sent to North Africa at last!
My campaign started off well enought,but soon Icame to respect and be wary of the Tommies and their equipment. Their 2lb guns are hard to spot in the desert, and the Matilda II proved to be a worthy advisory to our Panzers. However, we adjusted our tactics, and with help from our 88 AT guns, we learned how to handle these difficulties.
As we raced back and forth across the trackless desert, I made some new friends. Barxia(sp?)Bill comes to mind. He was very helpful when he was around. I also lost some friends and men as they did their best to fight for the Fatherland.
Also, I had the pleasure to visit Malta for a short time. Things there didn't turn out the way we would have hoped, but it was an interesting time none ther less.
During my time in the desert, I was slightly wounded (don't worry I recoverd nicely). Also, I earned the Iron Cross and Knight's Cross. I have never felt prouder than when Gen. Rommel pinned the Iron Cross on my dusty coat.
I have to admit, though, that I ame happy to be leaving North Africa. The last few weeks were wearing on my troops and me. It was obvious in our battles, and we probably suffered more casualties than we should have. Our last mission was to escort Gen. Rommel himself. I am happy to report we got the General to his destination without a scratch.
Well it's off to Russia for me now. I'm looking forward to being away from the deseret and the cooler weather. I'm sure the winters in Russia can't be as cold as at home.
Your loving son,
Hans
[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Max VonLoben ]</p>