Page 1 of 1
Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:03 pm
by Hartley
I think I remember someone once saying there were some effects other than fuel and sys damage for subs on Sub Patrol ?
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:46 pm
by Twotribes
As I understand it mission speed allows a TF to go either cruise or Max speed depending on the situation. Though I must admit, I dont know when a Submarine Task Force would resort to Max speed.
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:03 am
by RUPD3658
I set all TFs to cruise speed unless I need them to make it to their destinations sooner. I would like to be able to set Crusie as the default since it makes more sense.
Mission speed means running at Full speed for one movement phase. Unless you are in a hurry why burn more fuel and risk system damage?
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:11 am
by tsimmonds
If there's a juicy crippled carrier around, the ability to sprint in some subbies (8 hexes per day at full speed for IJN) is priceless.
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:01 am
by Hartley
I thought it might have an effect on the chance for a sub attack.
But my memory is not what it used to be.
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Hartley
I thought it might have an effect on the chance for a sub attack.
But my memory is not what it used to be.
There was a discussion about whether or not the speed of the subs affected its detection level, and if the speed affected its chance of success in interception and attack. No firm conclusions out of this exchange of views...
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm
by Wolfie1
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Hartley
I thought it might have an effect on the chance for a sub attack.
But my memory is not what it used to be.
There was a discussion about whether or not the speed of the subs affected its detection level, and if the speed affected its chance of success in interception and attack. No firm conclusions out of this exchange of views...
I would have expected a sub running at flank speed would be much more likely to be detected than one at cruising speed[;)]
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:07 pm
by Sharkosaurus rex
It was very clearly stated a couple of months ago:
the speed settings on the strategic map have no influence on the combat readiness or detection. So any TF moving at cruise on the global map will automatically fight at max speed for any combat resolutions. Or a sub at max speed will have same chance of detection as a stationary or cruising sub.
PS the two maps are independent in these regards
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:27 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex
It was very clearly stated a couple of months ago:
the speed settings on the strategic map have no influence on the combat readiness or detection. So any TF moving at cruise on the global map will automatically fight at max speed for any combat resolutions. Or a sub at max speed will have same chance of detection as a stationary or cruising sub.
PS the two maps are independent in these regards
True - that was ONE of the statements. Others were also made - but no firm proof was entered on any side. No devs or mods took part in the discussion (iirc).
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:38 pm
by Sharkosaurus rex
Yes they did. Pry wrote out all that code about the detection levels and how sys damage contributed to chances of detection. He also stated clearly (to me) that the speed setting on the strategic map did not influence the combat speeds during battles. So ships moving at cruise that are attacked by bombers go to max speed during the battle and return to cruise after the battle.
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:41 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex
Yes they did. Pry wrote out all that code about the detection levels and how sys damage contributed to chances of detection. He also stated clearly (to me) that the speed setting on the strategic map did not influence the combat speeds during battles. So ships moving at cruise that are attacked by bombers go to max speed during the battle and return to cruise after the battle.
Excuse my ignorance - i thought Pry was a beta, not a dev or mod.[&:]
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 pm
by Sharkosaurus rex
I don't know his relationship to the company. But what he wrote was clear and precise. The formulas he wrote out must have been from some authority. Since reading what he wrote I don't use ships with over 10 sys damage in battle if I can help it.
RE: Cruise vs. mission speed for subs
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:55 pm
by rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Sharkosaurus rex
I don't know his relationship to the company. But what he wrote was clear and precise. The formulas he wrote out must have been from some authority. Since reading what he wrote I don't use ships with over 10 sys damage in battle if I can help it.
But that is sort of my point - if he is a Beta, then he participated in the original design decisions, however, he MIGHT (or might not) be ignorant of what has happened since the original design was formulated. Of course, if he is a Developer this wouldn't (hopefully) be the case. The sub model seems to have changed since its original inception.
I agree about the SYS damage being important in detection.