Page 1 of 2

The series "Over -There"

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:15 pm
by Alby
Just wondering about everyones opinions on this show...
I started out liking it, but now it seems to becoming more Anti American...maybe its just me> [&:]

Maybe anti war is a better description...

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:48 am
by Major Destruction
What do ou mean by anti-American?

Is the show starting to show that the basic tenets of Americanism; freedom, the Constitution and its amendments and all that is bad or wrong?

Or is it portraying the military as abusing those tenets?

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:14 am
by Alby
ORIGINAL: Major Destruction

What do ou mean by anti-American?

Is the show starting to show that the basic tenets of Americanism; freedom, the Constitution and its amendments and all that is bad or wrong?

Or is it portraying the military as abusing those tenets?
Well last episode had the asshole american contractor......thought that one kinda sucked.
like I said...maybe its just me...I guess I still like parts of it...does seem to be turning the American Soldiers into something I dont believe they are tho.
too much damn sex too!! Typical Hollywood.

Just trying to get others comments on the show.

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:40 am
by Major Destruction
Immoral or criminal behaviour is not simply anti-American. Such behaviour is not acceptable in any just society. But we all know that unacceptable behaviour exists in society, even a military society. Perhaps the program is attempting to depict a human side of events?

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:24 am
by BruceAZ_MatrixForum
The thing that struct me odd was the tactics for clearing a built-up area has not changed since I did this at Hue.

A friend who served in Vietnam with me remarked "how clean they were." I nearly had a stroke laughing so hard!

I think it is OK and try not to let real life events ruin what I am watching - it's just a show from Hollywood. Right or wrong war, we owe it to them to support them no matter what happens. Let's just pray they will be home soon.

Recon
Semper Fi

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:15 am
by Dragoon 45
I have seen one episode and laughed so hard I just about fell out of my chair. Just over a year has passed since I came back from the sand box and retired as an E-8, and I must say the show needs a complete change in technical advisors. It was so far from reality I couldn't help but laugh my tail end off. The tactical blunders and mistakes I saw in just one show convinced me that it was pure junk so I haven't watched it again. The orginal COMBAT TV series was probably Hollywood's only serious attempt at getting it right for TV, and even that show had some problems. In "Over There" their technique for clearing rooms is very sloppy and doesn't really follow current training and doctrine. They bunch up when under fire and I for the life of me can't figure out why a female soldier is with a squad operating independently. Female Soldiers while I was there were not assigned to accompany squad size patrols except in very exceptional circumstances and then it was a lot larger operation than just one squad out doing security patrols. I just find the show so far removed from reality that I refuse to waste my time on it.

ORIGINAL: Alby

Just wondering about everyones opinions on this show...
I started out liking it, but now it seems to becoming more Anti American...maybe its just me> [&:]

Maybe anti war is a better description...

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:16 am
by Twotribes
Well, remember Hollywood is predominantly "anti-war" They ( through all job descriptions) are heavily of one political persuasion.

This can and will affect who gets hired for advisors and what writers are hired and their "take" on things. Even if the show hires good competent advisors if the producers and writers dont like what they are told or it doesnt fit their view or opinion or desire for story line or story content/message ( no matter what political persuasion in this case) guess who wins that disagreement?

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm
by Poopyhead
Dragoon 45 says it for me. If "Over There" was a show about the NFL, then all the players would be carrying football bats.[:D]

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:38 am
by John Galt
There are some technical problems with it, but like every Bochco TV production, it is very good, entertaining and that's all it is. It's not the History Channel.

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:13 pm
by Poopyhead
True.
If he did a propoganda show about experiences of Jews in Israel, except that no one in the show was even remotely Jewish, then detractors might point to that as a technical problem.
Dude, the show blows.

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:47 am
by Wild Bill
Its Hollywood, fact mixed with fiction. Like Bruce, I enjoy it as what it is, a theatrical presentation that has moments of realism mixed with the appeal to the senses, all minoritys, the feminine vote, the anti-war folks, blood thirsty people who like gore and death, heavy sentimentalism for folks like me (old age does make you not only senile but sentimental), moments of tenderness, and a host of other efforts to please everybody. That last point, pleasing everybody is a task way out of reach of TV, Movies and even ME![X(][X(][X(].

I know, I know, hard to believe, but even me [;)]

WB

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:49 am
by Wild Bill
So, Recon, you were at Hue! Well, God bless you my friend. That is one place I would never have wanted to be. Gung Ho, Leatherneck!

WB

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:28 pm
by Wild Bill
I've been continuing to think about HUE. I've done some more reading about it. Manila, Hue, Fallujah, and the Marines!...intense urban fighting for men who have been trained for a different kind of warfare. The Marines have proved themselves "Always Ready!"

Not as familiar with this bloody house to house fighting, they still, along with comrades in the US Army did the job! That's impressive

WB

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:31 pm
by Poopyhead
It's Hollywood, propoganda mixed with fiction. Art can be a tool for presenting a one-sided argument without an opportunity for rebuttal, because it's "only drama". The military I retired from two years ago was a group of professionals who volunteered for service, not another lost generation in a war that nobody wants. A soldier in my unit went to a "Bright Star" operation while his own mother was MIA (she had dropped a friend off at the WTC on 9/11.). When I watch this show, I don't see anyone like the soldiers I knew in 21 years in the Army.

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:23 am
by Riun T
I just wanted to say that in the ONE episode that i watched, The whole show is destined to suck for one big reason. The sargent lets one of the women trot off by herself to take a piss no more than ten minutes after the squad came under sporatic small arms fire, What kind of credible viewership that pays attention to this trype can continue to punish themselves by watching further RT

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:19 am
by Tankerace
From what I saw, and mostly what I have heard, I think that all this show does is sully the good name of "Over There." In my opinion, there is only one thing called "Over There":

Image

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:40 am
by Poopyhead
Maybe they are just trying to be controversial. If people like us talk about the show and others think about it, maybe they won't forget the men and women who are "Over There".

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:47 am
by Wild Bill
That's okay. I"m still watching it, and recording the episodes on DVD. Folks hated Tour of Duty. I loved it. Critics lambasted "Red Dawn." It is always one of my favorites. I'm just weird that way.

What! You guys want me to watch the really factual shows, like "Nip-Tuck" or "Desperate Housewives." Nah, I want bullets flying!

I even still watch "God is my Co-Pilot," or "Sahara (old version)." Yes, I'm weird that way

Wild Bill

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:26 am
by m10bob
Speilberg and Tom Hanks did a great *historical* thing with SPR and BOB, because that was a prime consideration from the git go..
Steven Bochco is a producer who is an expert at getting ratings..
This is HIS priority and he cannot be faulted for it, (so long as everybody understands that is HIS priority)..
If purple Volkswagons driven by Jane Fonda became the rage, the show would sprout them by the next episode, replete with peace flower decals and "Ho flags"................
(Interpret as you wish)..............

RE: The series "Over -There"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:41 pm
by Wild Bill
A very good one last night. I'm enjoying the series. Good acting, in my opinion.

WB