Page 1 of 1
sieges
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:20 pm
by tristandracul
Hi, I'm relatively new to this game and hope not to ask the same old questions again.
As far as I've playtested right now, I love it. The diplomacy options are by far the best I've seen in similar games. The detailed battles are very good too.
But to my question: How exactly do I start a siege. Went with a big french army (110k artillery included) to Gibraltar. No Brit troops were in sight, so I set them on "fire at the walls" later on "storm the walls" and not much happened. After waiting for some rounds i moved my troops because of the massive starving.
[:D]And another funny little incident. I saw a ship moving in the middle of Austria in the computers turn. Was that the famous Austrian Mountain Navy?
RE: sieges
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:21 pm
by Naomi
As far as I witnessed, Storm the walls is no obvious improvement on Fire at the walls for a siege.
RE: sieges
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:27 pm
by siRkid
You should have seen some Siege reports telling you that your units attacked the walls and inflected/suffered so many causalities. It takes a lot of turns to wear down a garrison. Charging the wall will do it faster but it will be bloodier. If the city is undefended you should have taken over the province. If none of these things occored, it sounds like a bug to me.
RE: sieges
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:04 pm
by Gem35
Let's get this out of the way first...you DID declare war on Britain or currently are at war with the good 'ol chaps... right?
RE: sieges
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:54 am
by Grand_Armee
Love to see that smoke rising from somebody else' cities. I won't use charge the walls anymore because I seem to lose men 5-1. I'll resort to it if my supply is cut. But otherwise I'll starve em away first.
RE: sieges
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 am
by tristandracul
Thanks for the advice. It works. Don't know what I did wrong before. And i already see what you tell, that starving is much healthier for my own troops.
RE: sieges
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:45 am
by Gresbeck
Probably I'm missing something, but I've recently noticed, playing as France in 1805 scenario, that my force in Hannover doesn't seem to siege the city. I don't see any message about the siege, I'm in war with Britain, and I've not conquered the province (I see an English force inside the city). Do I need something else? Is there a minimum strength requriment? Is artillery required to siege?
RE: sieges
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:33 pm
by carnifex
yes there is a minimum strength requirement - not sure i think it's based on the fortification level?
RE: sieges
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:37 pm
by Naomi
ORIGINAL: Gresbeck
Probably I'm missing something, but I've recently noticed, playing as France in 1805 scenario, that my force in Hannover doesn't seem to siege the city. I don't see any message about the siege, I'm in war with Britain, and I've not conquered the province (I see an English force inside the city). Do I need something else? Is there a minimum strength requriment? Is artillery required to siege?
Somewhere in the manuel you will find an explanation in this regard. It's better to let gunmen lend help in sieges; they count for more than those on foot. Besides, those ahorseback seem to have no effect. In your case, send the Batavian Army to help Bernadotte finish the job.
RE: sieges
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:06 am
by Gresbeck
Thanks. I will check the manual (I read it, but I don't remember the point).