Page 1 of 4
What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:45 am
by Greyshaft
Post your photos here! I vote for the Amiot 143.
Details at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiot_143M

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:56 am
by DuckofTindalos
Stealing the picture posted elsewhere by DandricSturm, my vote goes to the BV.141

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:12 pm
by DandricSturm
I always thought the U-1 Otter was exceedingly unattractive.
Have to admit that BV.141 looks like something from a movie like "Flight of the Pheonix."
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:29 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Another painfully obvious (and French) candidate, the Bloch MB. 200:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:28 pm
by Greyshaft
ugh...gotta admit the Bloch MB. 200 is up there with the Amiot 143.
What happened in France in the 1930's... did they take LSD or just look at too many Picasso exhibitions?
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:52 am
by Sarge
ORIGINAL: DandricSturm
I always thought the U-1 Otter was exceedingly unattractive.
Have to admit that BV.141 looks like something from a movie like "Flight of the Pheonix."
I kind of dig the Otter.
We use them for fly-in fishing up in Ontario still, I was able to take the controls over this summers trip for a good amount of time. Guess all the years of my begging the bush pilot finally paid off (American cigaretts didn't hurt) [:D]
Anyway the Walrus has to rank with the ugliest top ten

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:55 am
by Sarge
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Another painfully obvious (and French) candidate, the Bloch MB. 200:
We have a winner [:D][X(][:D][X(]
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:49 am
by DuckofTindalos
ORIGINAL: Greyshaft
What happened in France in the 1930's... did they take LSD or just look at too many Picasso exhibitions?
Not sure what it was, but it eventually wore off. Here's the Amiot 354:

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:32 pm
by Raverdave
Even the ugliest aircraft has some appeal.
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:15 pm
by RBWhite
????????????????????????????????????
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:24 pm
by RBWhite
???????????????????????????????????????
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:23 pm
by RevRick
I've always been fond of the following

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:27 pm
by RevRick
But this is my absolute top favorite ugly aircraft...

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:57 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Never understood why people have such a big problem with the Barracuda; compared to some of the flying outhouses pictured here, it's poetry in motion...
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:14 pm
by RBWhite
??????????????????????????????????????
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:28 pm
by Greyshaft
Not sure how whether Xperimental aircraft are valid in this category. Quite often they are built to test an individual feature eg dihedral wings, and the rest of the aircraft is bolted on afterwards with cosmetic issues waiting until the bugs are sorted out in the airframe. I'd suggest the category should be limited to production aircraft... or maybe start a seperate category for XP units.
And I agree the Barracuda was born ugly

RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:05 am
by RBWhite
?????????????????????????????????????
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:47 am
by Greyshaft
ORIGINAL: RevRick
I've always been fond of the following
Actually I like the Defiant also... but I can't figure out why the closest one has a bent starboard wing [&:]
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:48 am
by Greyshaft
ok... its a pitot tube... but it had me going for a while before I figured it [:)]
RE: What is the Ugliest Aircraft of All Time?
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:55 am
by Tankerace
I'd have to vote for the Italian CA:60
Or the Junkers 287