Page 1 of 4

Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:22 pm
by RUPD3658
I am playing the Allies Scn 15 PBEM. I made a big mistake in the first week and the Lex got hit by 6 250kg bombs.

It is 27 hexes from PH and moving 3 hexes per turn. Current damage is 56sys and 58 float, no fires.

Am I better off pulling into one of the size one ports which I can reach in 1-2 turns just to get the benifit of not being "at sea" or am I better off continuing to head for PH? I am pretty sure the path to PH is clear of subs.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:30 pm
by Arkady
if you have Advanced Damage Control ON then you can continue to PH without fear

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:28 pm
by RUPD3658
Hoping for the best. Allied DC is on but she picked up 8 float over the last two turns and lost 1/2 her speed as a result.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:42 pm
by Speedysteve
I think it will be touch and go personally. All it takes is a couple of rough days and she'll be up near 70.....then 80.....then swimming with the fishes.

Fingers crossed though[;)]

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:47 pm
by wild_Willie2
think positiv, she WILL make it..... Negative vibes will only disturb the ships "naturall healing process" [:D]

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:52 pm
by Speedysteve
She will make it, She will make it, She will make it, She will make it, She will make it,......

She may not [;)]

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:59 pm
by Nikademus
A size 1 or 2 port is not worth bothering with as the best you can do is "dock" not disperse. While the DC bonus increases your chances of success it's no guarantee. Your at the threshold where even the bonus might not help at sea. Dont try full speed as this will increase your chances of increased FLT damage.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:42 pm
by RUPD3658
Ooops...I was at full speed. Maybe that is why flooding went up.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 pm
by Oznoyng
Dude, not to worry. You have Allied Damage control. By the time you make port, Lex will be upgraded to an Essex with Corsairs, TBF's and Helldivers.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:04 pm
by RUPD3658
I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:06 pm
by Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

So that's how it works! I was wondering.....

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:19 pm
by Bradley7735
I don't know why everyone assumes Lex will survive. 58 float is a lot. She's at least 5 days (probably more since she's slowing down) from help. If she's in the 90's when she makes Pearl, she still has a chance of going down.

I don't think I've saved a ship at 58 float that was 27 hexes from a big port. 10 hexes, yes. 27 hexes? I'd give her no more than a 50/50 chance. More like 20% from my experience. 0% if your opponent is reading this.


RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:36 pm
by Feinder
I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

[:D]

-F-

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:56 pm
by Dereck
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

I usually play Japan so I am used to their damage control methods ie. drill a new hole to let the water out.

So that's how it works! I was wondering.....

If I remember my damage control training in the US Navy you removed water from a compartment with a Perijet (spelling?) Eductor by putting water INTO the compartment.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:25 am
by niceguy2005
ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

I don't know why everyone assumes Lex will survive. 58 float is a lot. She's at least 5 days (probably more since she's slowing down) from help. If she's in the 90's when she makes Pearl, she still has a chance of going down.

I don't think I've saved a ship at 58 float that was 27 hexes from a big port. 10 hexes, yes. 27 hexes? I'd give her no more than a 50/50 chance. More like 20% from my experience. 0% if your opponent is reading this.

DOn't know, but I just sailed a ship from PH to Diego with 52% float damage the whole way. It got as high as 65% before dropping back down to 52%. On the other hand I have had ships with 50% flt damage sink in a matter of a day or two.

Its just plain dumb random luck.

Image

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:02 am
by Admiral DadMan
At 58 flt and 27 hexes, I'd say find the nearest filling station, man. Even if she does make it, she's nearing progressive flooding, and once that kicks in, it's all over.

Pull ovah.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:23 pm
by RUPD3658
Two days later and at 64 float but 6 hexes closer.

I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can...

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:28 pm
by steveh11Matrix
Not so sure...you're going to be slowing down, thus increasing the time, plus you're increasing the flooding. As AD just said, "Pull Ovah".

Steve.

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:49 pm
by Speedysteve
It's gonna be hit and miss as I said before.

Some amazing things can happen.

I once had Kaga at 53 FLT survive a 17 hex trip [8D]

RE: Will she sink?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:54 pm
by tsimmonds
I have thought/imagined that full speed makes flooding worse. Is there general agreement on this? What about not moving at all, intuitively that should help with flooding. Anyone have any experience with that?