B-29 : The fairy princess of 1945
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:30 pm
I'm playing Oliver in a Campaign '45 scenario.
I AM JAPAN.
It is the "stock" '45 scenario. So most of my fighter squadrons started at about 2/3 strength, and I clicked endlessly on the "get pilot" button when they started drawing planes. The average exp of my Zero squadrons is about 40 - 45 (so they basically suck). This is a '45 start, so I don't have the benefit of a training program or somehow managing to conserve a core of pilots for 4 years (for those of you who -can- do it, I commend you, I don't see how you do it).
I AM JAPAN.
So I'm just laying the groundwork here. I'm flying Zekes in '45, with (relatively) crappy pilots.
DID I MENTION, I AM JAPAN?
Along comes my opponent Oliver, with his B-29s from Saipan, Guam, or whichever base he's using from that little chain. We're not talking about 20 or 30 B-29s. We're talking darken the skies with clouds of them, as in multiple 100+ plane raids in a day. And that DOESN'T count the scores of B-24s attacking everywhere else on the map (but I digress). US Army pilots don't suck in 1945. They start at like 60 or 65 exp (top of my head). And the B-29 is a BEAST. Right...?
(* BUZZZZZER! *)
My suck-Zekes shot down 37 of them yesterday (with the loss of about 14 Zekes). Yes, he -is- flying a long way. But that would be a very historical base from which they would be flying from. He does lose some from ops losses. But even then these are mostly planes destroyed OVER TARGET. These aren't the late appearing messages, "PO Sake Swigger is credited for kill #2", which denotes a plane damaged in air-to-air, but then crashes on landing (air-to-air credit). Only 1 or 2 of those. These are B-29s that got pasted over the target. Oh, and these are NOT aces. Most of my teenage Kamikaze-wannabe pilots are getting their 1st and 2nd kills. And FWIW, I actually keep forgetting to actually station a sqdn there, so these are an "area intercept" that are actually fighters being scrambled from Tokyo next door.
OH, AND I'M JAPAN.
Yes, I have about 130 Zekes next door. Historically, B-29s probably never saw more than 50 come up to intercept a given raid (I really have no idea). But still, I doubt the US ever lost more than 30 B-29s in a given week, let alone a single day. Frankly, he should be kicking my butt with 400 B-29s showing up over Japan. Instead, I've downed about 60 of the pathetic things, in about a week. Yesterday, he got zero stratigic hits from from all those bombers. The planes that didn't get shot down, were damaged, and only about 15 actually made runs. I'm almost exicited to watch that single sqdn of 12x B-29s from NBS show up over Tokyo. I'm thinking shooting down the B-29s carrying the Nukes would be amusing to say the least.
YEP, I'M STILL JAPAN. THIS ISN'T A ALLIED FAN-BOY WHINE ABOUT LBA BEING NERFED. THIS IS A JAPANESE OPPONENT SAYING THAT THE B-29 IS NERFED.
Something is dreadfully wrong with the B-29 if I'm shooting them down in droves. Who's afraid of the fairy princess? Not I.
-F-
I AM JAPAN.
It is the "stock" '45 scenario. So most of my fighter squadrons started at about 2/3 strength, and I clicked endlessly on the "get pilot" button when they started drawing planes. The average exp of my Zero squadrons is about 40 - 45 (so they basically suck). This is a '45 start, so I don't have the benefit of a training program or somehow managing to conserve a core of pilots for 4 years (for those of you who -can- do it, I commend you, I don't see how you do it).
I AM JAPAN.
So I'm just laying the groundwork here. I'm flying Zekes in '45, with (relatively) crappy pilots.
DID I MENTION, I AM JAPAN?
Along comes my opponent Oliver, with his B-29s from Saipan, Guam, or whichever base he's using from that little chain. We're not talking about 20 or 30 B-29s. We're talking darken the skies with clouds of them, as in multiple 100+ plane raids in a day. And that DOESN'T count the scores of B-24s attacking everywhere else on the map (but I digress). US Army pilots don't suck in 1945. They start at like 60 or 65 exp (top of my head). And the B-29 is a BEAST. Right...?
(* BUZZZZZER! *)
My suck-Zekes shot down 37 of them yesterday (with the loss of about 14 Zekes). Yes, he -is- flying a long way. But that would be a very historical base from which they would be flying from. He does lose some from ops losses. But even then these are mostly planes destroyed OVER TARGET. These aren't the late appearing messages, "PO Sake Swigger is credited for kill #2", which denotes a plane damaged in air-to-air, but then crashes on landing (air-to-air credit). Only 1 or 2 of those. These are B-29s that got pasted over the target. Oh, and these are NOT aces. Most of my teenage Kamikaze-wannabe pilots are getting their 1st and 2nd kills. And FWIW, I actually keep forgetting to actually station a sqdn there, so these are an "area intercept" that are actually fighters being scrambled from Tokyo next door.
OH, AND I'M JAPAN.
Yes, I have about 130 Zekes next door. Historically, B-29s probably never saw more than 50 come up to intercept a given raid (I really have no idea). But still, I doubt the US ever lost more than 30 B-29s in a given week, let alone a single day. Frankly, he should be kicking my butt with 400 B-29s showing up over Japan. Instead, I've downed about 60 of the pathetic things, in about a week. Yesterday, he got zero stratigic hits from from all those bombers. The planes that didn't get shot down, were damaged, and only about 15 actually made runs. I'm almost exicited to watch that single sqdn of 12x B-29s from NBS show up over Tokyo. I'm thinking shooting down the B-29s carrying the Nukes would be amusing to say the least.
YEP, I'M STILL JAPAN. THIS ISN'T A ALLIED FAN-BOY WHINE ABOUT LBA BEING NERFED. THIS IS A JAPANESE OPPONENT SAYING THAT THE B-29 IS NERFED.
Something is dreadfully wrong with the B-29 if I'm shooting them down in droves. Who's afraid of the fairy princess? Not I.
-F-