Page 1 of 1
Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 am
by wodin
I pre odrered this game.
When you pre order you can download the beta. Plus when the game comes out you get a few extras.
Anyway, it has a fair few bugs at present but I can tell you now its going to be superb.
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:20 pm
by ravinhood
Curses you since I have dialup. ;(
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:55 pm
by Hanal
I have been debating about preordering for some time now...please provide some first impressions especially as to how it differs from Gal Civ 1.....thanks
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:18 pm
by FreeBird
I've been following the development of GalCiv2 with some interest, but I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering it.
Regards..
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:26 pm
by wodin
Well so far from the limited time Ive had with the game its going to be better than Gal Civ 1. Graphics are very good. You can design your own space ships. Loads of upgrades. The developers listen to the fans and are dedicated to the game. Still alot of bugs and balance issues to sort out which they are doing.
If you enjoy space 4x games it will be a must have.
I dont usually play this type of game but it has pulled me in.
Reasons to pre order.........."All users who pre-order it will get extra content: Additional ship components, the Galactic Civilizations Desktop and more. Players who purchase the retail pre-order (either direct or pre-order it from retail) will get the special pre-order package which includes a fold-out tech tree and other goodies."
Very pleased I pre ordered and downloaded it.
LINK
Good interview
Interview Link
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:45 pm
by Hanal
Thanks Wodin, I have 2 final questions which by all means take your time in answering back.
1. Are the bug issues concerning alot of CTD's and freeze ups?.....I am not looking to ruin my pc if the bugs are along those type.
2. Is invading planets more involved now, in that there are tactical land battles to manage rather than the originally designed auto-resolve?
Thanks again as your answers will finally help make up my mind for me.........
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:04 pm
by ilovestrategy
i played the original but i was sooooo lost...
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:22 pm
by elmo3
ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
Thanks Wodin, I have 2 final questions which by all means take your time in answering back.
1. Are the bug issues concerning alot of CTD's and freeze ups?.....I am not looking to ruin my pc if the bugs are along those type.
2. Is invading planets more involved now, in that there are tactical land battles to manage rather than the originally designed auto-resolve?
Thanks again as your answers will finally help make up my mind for me.........
Just pre-ordered the other day. Not because I have any time to be a beta tester, I don't, but because I was going to order it anyway as a big GC fan and decided to save myself the $5.
1. So far I have not had any CTD's after a few hours of playing time.
2. Haven't invaded a planet yet but from reading the forums I'd say there will not be any tactical ground combat model. It does sound like more factors will be involved in determining the outcome than in GC though. So the decisions you make prior to the battle in terms of getting the most advantages will be what insures you win the day rather than any tactical control you have once the boots are on the ground. Will try to make time to actually invade soon and report back here.
This is a link to one of the dev journals on invasions. Not sure if you can go there without being a registered forum user or not:
http://www.galciv2.com/Forums.aspx?Foru ... 764#723906
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:46 pm
by ravinhood
Something Wodin didn't mention that is in the previews. Every planet is unique now, you can't just build everything on every planet now. So you have to really plan out your space expansions, what's industrial, what's research, what's a population depot, etc. etc.
The fan interest in this game is high. It's the peoples new MOO if you ask me. I enjoy Gal Civ I and will definitely buy this one as soon as I can get my hands on it. (well at least a week after launch if the reviews are half good. hehe). I don't buy many new retail games now, but, Gal Civ was solid out of the box and that's a plus when it comes to my buying dollars.
Only thing that bugs me about Gal Civ 2 is it's going to be a PARADOX release gawwhhhhhh I do not want to support that company. But, I ain't no "pirate" neither.

They musta did that on purpose, got the rights to publish Gal Civ 2 just cause they read my stance on the game. Must show I have power over there. lol
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:57 pm
by Veldor
Only thing that bugs me about Gal Civ 2 is it's going to be a PARADOX release gawwhhhhhh I do not want to support that company. But, I ain't no "pirate" neither.

They musta did that on purpose, got the rights to publish Gal Civ 2 just cause they read my stance on the game. Must show I have power over there. lol
Paradox realizing there is still a market for turn-based strategy games sounds like a good thing to me. Nearly their entire new lineup of games are all turn-based...
BUT you are actually not correct. [:D] Paradox is not publishing Gal Civ 2 in its main market (the US). The developer is self-publishing the title for the US Market. Paradox is only stepping in for international coverage. Well I thought you lived in the US anyway, but your profile isn't marked so... Maybe your supporting Paradox, and maybe your not [;)]
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:02 am
by ravinhood
Oh thank you Veldor, you saved my pride and dignity! WOOHOO I won't be supporting Paradox and getting a great game.

RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:13 am
by Erik Rutins
Good to hear this is looking good. I've owned GalCiv since the original OS/2 version, so when I have some free time I'll likely check this out as well.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:58 pm
by elmo3
ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
...
2. Is invading planets more involved now, in that there are tactical land battles to manage rather than the originally designed auto-resolve?
Thanks again as your answers will finally help make up my mind for me.........
OK, had my first invasion last night. I was on the receiving end. If you are familiar with GC then you will understand when I say the graphics are pretty much the same. A screen with the troops strengths and odds modifiers (to be enhanced in the next build) are presented. To resolve the combat you just hit the space bar to freeze the randomly fluctuating odds.
I had a significant troop advantage (~5:1) but what looked like a pretty big tech disadvantage (~1:2). No attack or defense advantages either way. Result: *almost* all enemy troops killed, but all mine were killed so we lost the planet.
RE: Galactic Civ 2
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:35 pm
by ravinhood
I had a significant troop advantage (~5:1) but what looked like a pretty big tech disadvantage (~1:2). No attack or defense advantages either way. Result: *almost* all enemy troops killed, but all mine were killed so we lost the planet.
EXCELLENT, this is what I been wating to hear. The AI kicked your butt! woohoo
So, my long list of games to buy NEXT YEAR ARE:
1) Galactic Civ II
2) ????? lol
3) ????? lol
Man that's just pitiful when I can remember back in the 80's there was a game a MONTH to be bought. Wut happened to all the games????