Page 1 of 5
New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:38 pm
by MarcA
I heard a rumour Matrix was remaking War in Russia though I can find nothing on the website. Does anyone know if this is this true or not. If it is true what game system would it be based on and when would it be ready.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:45 pm
by Hanal
Actually, unless the plan has changed, there will be a new East Front Game...
You can read about 2x3's plans here in their development journal:
http://www.2by3games.com/devjournal/index.html
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:45 pm
by Speedysteve
Hi Mantill,
This is correct. I believe it will be called War In the East. It is based on the Russian Front/Second Front games (once more I believe).
Think it will be ready 2006.
You'll notice a lot of I think's in there but I believe that is the case [;)]
Regards,
Steven
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:20 pm
by MarcA
OK just wandered over to check out 2x3 and they say there forthcoming USSR 1941-1945 game is described as on hold. Ho hum [:(]
Thanks guys
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:16 pm
by Captain Cruft
No it's not on hold. Read the Developer's Journal not the general website blurb.
To precis:
The game is under development now (slowly). It will be based on an engine derived from GGWaW and will use a IGO-UGO turn format.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:44 pm
by moses
I don't think its based on GGWaW. At least based on the Developers Journal. My impression was that it would be more of a monster game like WITP.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:56 pm
by Erik Rutins
It's based on the GGWAW engine, that doesn't mean it will look or play anything like GGWAW, the engine is the underlying technology rather than the game design.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:24 pm
by moses
Hmmmm.
I had sort of given up on the civil war game because I like the big games and the GGWaW has just never really piqued my interest. Just seemed too small and not my cup of tea.
Now I wonder. Is the east front game still of a scale similar to GG previous east front games. How does the civil war game stack up in terms of scale and "monstergameness".
Maybe I'll have to get GGWaw to get used to the system.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:48 pm
by Honda
And then coffee in Moscow[:D]
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:44 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: moses
Hmmmm.
I had sort of given up on the civil war game because I like the big games and the GGWaW has just never really piqued my interest. Just seemed too small and not my cup of tea.
Now I wonder. Is the east front game still of a scale similar to GG previous east front games. How does the civil war game stack up in terms of scale and "monstergameness".
Maybe I'll have to get GGWaw to get used to the system.
Moses, WIR is actually even bigger and more "monster" than previous GG East Front games. It will definitely be a game for grognards. The ACW game is more detailed and at a smaller scale than GGWAW, but not close to WIR. It's in that "happy medium" zone.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm
by moses
Thank you for the info.
I think I'll get GGWaW when my work scheduale slows down. I have to be preped for when my two fav subjects (ACW and Russia are covered).
Thanks.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:52 pm
by general billy
Im not saying anything but if WIR plays like GGWAW I doubt I be getting it. Plus if its IGO-UGO system even worst. We need a somthing thats plays similar to WITP but in Russia.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:59 pm
by moses
Havn't played GGWaW yet so I don't know. I was sort of hoping for a game similar to GG's other russia games but perhaps that sytem has been bleed dry. Maybe its time for something new.
I'll keep an open mind and maybe test out WaW and see if I like it.
Havn't bought a wargame in nearly two years (WITP ya know). So I can afford to lost $50 if it turns out to be a bust.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:04 pm
by Erik Rutins
ORIGINAL: general billy
Im not saying anything but if WIR plays like GGWAW I doubt I be getting it. Plus if its IGO-UGO system even worst. We need a somthing thats plays similar to WITP but in Russia.
RUMOR CONTROL: An engine is not a game design. From what I've seen of WIE it reminds me strongly of "War in Russia", only bigger and more detailed (yes, I mean that). It does not play like GGWAW but it is based on the technology that underlies GGWAW. This means a cleaner, more modern and more Windows and DirectX-friendly underlying technology than the old games and even than WitP. Also an easier engine to improve and to debug on than WitP.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 pm
by Erik Rutins
Folks, please read what I'm posting. "Based on the GGWAW engine" != "Plays and looks like GGWAW". We could recreate Kampfgruppe on that engine, for sake of argument.
Regards,
- Erik
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:46 pm
by U2
Once Joel posted "based on...." a few months ago some people just would not understand that the game would not be a new GGWAW but a new game just like you posted Erik. It is hard to understand why some people still don't get it
Anyway it looks like it was a mistake to have said anything about it all since not even you or Joel can stop people from not getting it, well a few... It's a nasty missunderstanding since it would keep many grogs from buying it.
Anyway I can't wait for it!! [:)]
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:55 pm
by watchtower
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
We could recreate Kampfgruppe on that engine
Oooooh whens that out then?[:D][:D]
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm
by U2
Erik,
What about creating a forum for this game next year so that it can be discussed? I am sure it would prove as popluar as the pre-WITP release discussion. That forum was up like three years before the game was released
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:14 pm
by moses
It was nice to hear somthing about the game even if it causes some confusion.
A forum with screenshots would be nice but I guess we just have to wait till it happens.
RE: New WiR Game?
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:33 pm
by Erik Rutins
No forum yet, in general we've learned that putting a forum up too early can be a mistake despite a few exceptions. However, there will definitely be a forum for this well before release, to give plenty of time for discussions. I appreciate the interest and as soon as we are ready to provide more info, we will.
Regards,
- Erik