Page 1 of 3
I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:04 pm
by MarkShot
whenever COTA gets released, that is.
Although I am familiar with the many improvements made in COTA as with many game engine upgrades they creep up on you in a stealthy manner. So, if you really want to get the full sense of how things have changed, sometimes you have to back track. It should be an interesting exercise.
Of course, Dave has sneakily attempted to discourage back tracking - he changed some of the key key mappings. Now, if you ask him, he'll say it was to make things more ergonomic, but Dave's easy going nature often hides the fact that he is a lot more clever than people think!

RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:17 pm
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
.. but Dave's easy going nature often hides the fact that he is a lot more clever than people think!
Fiendishly clever - he even managed to offload the testing of his code to the beta-bunnies - he insists on calling us the Panther Prowlers, but that's just a smokescreen (hm, smokescreens ... now there's a feature request I can bug him with later today ...) thrown up by this Magister Militum.
Anyway, all this drivel to say that I had a re-look at HttR only some months ago - holy smoke (hey, that would be a nice subject title for this smokescreen feature request ...) things have changed ... a lot. If you liked HttR, you're gonna love CotA, but still like HttR - the game hasn't aged a bit - it's just as playable as it was 2 years ago, but CotA is the next big leap forward.
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:35 pm
by Real and Simulated Wars
This little chat you lucky testers have in front of the unfortunate waiting crowd is just killing me.
Should I save a place for CoTA under the Christmas tree?
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:16 pm
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: Chelco
This little chat you lucky testers have in front of the unfortunate waiting crowd is just killing me.
Should I save a place for CoTA under the Christmas tree?
Sure, nobody is forcing you to remove the tree right after Christmas [:D]
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:19 pm
by MarkShot
Well, actually what I am interested in to check is the subtle things that creep into your style of play that you don't even realize.
For example, I have gotten very used to the increased effectiveness of blocking roads at strategic points in COTA. In HTTR, you never really blocked a road, but rather created a big speed bump for the enemy.
I suspect when I go back to try HTTR I will find my well crafted defensive measures leaking like a sieve.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:22 pm
by MarkShot
In fact, I think maybe I will go whole hog and reinstall RDOA and give it a try.
Does anyone know where I can find patches for RDOA?
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:23 pm
by MarkShot
I have also been tempted to try a game or two of CMBO after a couple of years of CMBB/CMAK to see how it feels.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:27 pm
by Banquet
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
I suspect when I go back to try HTTR I will find my well crafted defensive measures leaking like a sieve.
That wouldn't be a problem for me. My HTTR defensive measures have always leaked like a sieve [:D]
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:48 pm
by Real and Simulated Wars
ORIGINAL: sterckxe
Sure, nobody is forcing you to remove the tree right after Christmas [:D]
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
Dang!
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:55 pm
by MarkShot
Never mind. I just found the RDOA patches.
Hmm ... maybe I should load it up today. I know that Dave would just love to see some RDOA bug reports in the Beta forum when he starts work this morning.

RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:23 pm
by sterckxe
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
Never mind. I just found the RDOA patches.
Hmm ... maybe I should load it up today. I know that Dave would just love to see some RDOA bug reports in the Beta forum when he starts work this morning.
Ok - you owe me a new keyboard - unless the coke-spray dries out of this one
Could you put in a few feature requests as well ?
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:18 pm
by JeF
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
Never mind. I just found the RDOA patches.
[8|]
Not enough marketing from my side perhaps ? Or did you find me competition ?
I too am back to HttR. With all the news around CotA, my interrest is bright new. It's still a beauty. I still like it. I'm still not too good at it. [;)]
Though RdoA is still installed on my HD, I'm not inclined to play it again.
Do you think I'll have CotA before I can replay all HttR scenarios once more ?
JeF.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:01 pm
by MarkShot
Only Dave can answer that.
Seems everywhere I go people are waiting. Here, for the COTA release. Over at Paradox, for Victoria 1.4 and CK 1.5. Over at MMG, for TC2M.
Personally, I have a small set of about 10 games installed on my computer. The oldest having been released 1994 and the newest having been released 2003. Except for perhaps one, they are all completely mature and unlikely to see much further change.
Besides the age of my system (2002), I am not really very interested in anything new. The learning curve is typically huge and I already have a set with good entertainment value and almost unlimited replay value. When I used to fly flight sims, I used to get a new top of the line system every two years. Now, I am in no hurry. The real problem is finding the time for them.
The only new game that I am waiting for (my first ever preorder) is TC2M from MMG. I am hoping that it will be a worthwhile addition to my small collection of classics.
I think those who had purchased HTTR and had enjoyed it or had missed purchasing it but are now looking for a well crafted intellectual war game that defines the state of the art will be pretty pleased with COTA. Sooner or later Dave will get it done. Then, it will consume your lives the way it has his for the last couple of years.

RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:12 pm
by Banquet
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
Personally, I have a small set of about 10 games installed on my computer. The oldest having been released 1994 and the newest having been released 2003. Except for perhaps one, they are all completely mature and unlikely to see much further change.
Besides the age of my system (2002), I am not really very interested in anything new. The learning curve is typically huge and I already have a set with good entertainment value and almost unlimited replay value. When I used to fly flight sims, I used to get a new top of the line system every two years. Now, I am in no hurry. The real problem is finding the time for them.
The only new game that I am waiting for (my first ever preorder) is TC2M from MMG.
Markshot,
Mind if I ask what the 10 games you have installed are?
Also, what is TC2M from MMG?
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:31 pm
by MarkShot
Here you go. Try not to snicker at my interests.
AOD - Aces of the Deep
CMAK - Combat Mission Afrika Corp
CMBB - Combat Mission Barbarrossa to Berlin
CWC - Civil War Collection (Mainly Sid Meier's Gettysburg and downloaded scenario/map packs)
EU2 - Europa Universalis II
HTTR - (Actually have not played a game in a couple of years.)
SC/SCX - Sub Command, also Sub Command Extreme IIC/Sub Changer Utility
SH1 - Silent Hunter I
SH2 PA - Silent Hunter II with the Pacific Aces Mod
Victoria/VIP4B - Victoria, also Victoria with a mod (but this is the one that really needs another patch and updated mod)
www.madminutegames.com - A team of two developers similar to PG, but they are located Pennsylvania, USA and their dream is to define the state of the art for the American Civil War genre. There are quite of few interesting parallels and differences between PG's and MMG's engines. Both are realtime with hiearchical command at any level and friendly AI to support the player. MMG's is a 3D game with minimal 2D map support. Their first effort was quite impressive although lacking the breadth and scope that would allow you to play it for years. However, I believe their second release will demonstrate that the engine/system has matured.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:33 pm
by RayWolfe
ORIGINAL: sterckxe
Ok - you owe me a new keyboard - unless the coke-spray dries out of this one
Eddy Sterckx
Coke-spray ... oh yea!

Ray
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:52 pm
by Banquet
Markshot - sometimes I rue the lack of decent PC games being made, but seeing that list is a nice reminder of what classics we've all been graced with. Even if no more games were produced that list of yours would keep me happily entertained for a lifetime [:)]
Thanks for the info on madminute games.. I've always loved friendly AI in games.. I'll check them out.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:05 pm
by "Joss" Osborne
ORIGINAL: MarkShot
SH1 - Silent Hunter I
SH2 PA - Silent Hunter II with the Pacific Aces Mod
Mark,
If you're a Sub sim guy you HAVE to get SHIII. Absolutely the best by far.
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:18 pm
by MarkShot
I don't want to rehash any long debates. Suffice it to say that I am opposed to Starforce for both practical (cannot afford to introduce anything which could compromise the integrity of my systems) and philosophical reasons (an invasive measure which is constantly loaded running a device driver seeking to obscure its interaction).
RE: I am going to play some HTTR
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 pm
by MarkShot
The pleasure of classic games ... tons of atomosphere ... no new PC required ... no risk of Starforce infection ...
