Page 1 of 1

No Briefing sounds on MC-LV

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:02 am
by chillydigits
Help...maybe I missed it but other then moving the snd files is there another trick to getting the briefing sounds to work? thanks

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:50 am
by Supervisor
Make sure you don't have any nested directories (duplicates within each other) if you do move all of your sound files (.wav)into the MatrixGames/SPWAW/snd directory and that should solve your problem.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:24 pm
by chillydigits
Thanks I will double check that,

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:05 am
by Grenadier
If you are not getting the briefings to KG Vebber or the OKW reports then you need to take the contents of the Snd folder and put them in the main Snd Folder.
The wav files for Lost Victories all start with 11xxx. There should be 86 all together
example
main theme 11000
node 1-11001-starts with "Hauptmann Vebber,acknowledge"
node 2-11002-Goebbels speech

The contents of the Shp folder must be in the main Shp Folder as well or you will not see the aircraft and abandoned Soviet tanks in the nodes. The Watchtower patch is the file set to use as it has both LV and Watchtower shp files.

There are 4 terr86 files that will overwrite the original terr 86 files. To check for the correct files go to the map editor and type A then shift-1 which gives you access to the special MC icons. type in a number from 100 to 130, the first 15 are for Lost Victories and the next 15 are for Watchtower

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:51 pm
by chillydigits
I moved the snd files and I can play them from the snd file I have 256k of ram but still no briefings before the battles....

Maybe memory leaks?

Posted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:58 am
by MrPlow
I never got briefing sounds either, until I started saving prior to the last turn of a scenario, exiting SPWAW to free all associated memory (check with RamBooster or similar utility), restarting SPWAW, and loading saved scenario to play final turn. Now I always get briefing sounds when succeeding scenario starts.

RamBooster
http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/index.htm

Posted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:10 pm
by RockinHarry
Hi
..it might not be of concern, but I would like to mention that not every scenario has a "real" briefing sound attached! Most have spoken briefings, but others only play some music or things like Goebbels speech, ect. There are combinations as well. F.e: First you get a "Wochenschau" theme sound and right after the spoken briefing can be heard....

For those who have the sound trouble, can you please tell what sound format your Lost Victories sound files have (11kH or 22kH)? Do you play with original files from the CD or douy you use the sound files from Matrix update site?

thanks

________
Harry

Sound file format

Posted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:43 pm
by MrPlow
All Matrix patches, including sounds, installed prior to beginning LV.

Windows Properties tells me most of the 110xx.wav files are
PCM, 8,000Hz, 8-bit, mono.
11000.wav is 11,025 Hz, stereo
11005.wav and 11010.wav are 22,050 Hz, mono (wouldn't play)

and only 11001.wav (the first briefing) ever played without a problem
(till I tried freeing memory before scenario start)

Posted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:50 am
by Supervisor
Briefing audio will only play when an option of some sort is chosen in the briefing screen. Try running these files outside of the game enviorment by double clicking on them and see if they play that way. This will tell us if those files are corrupted although those are the propert properties. Also let us know which audio player gets activated when these sounds are played. PCM is Pulse Code Modulation which is a subclass of a Microsoft .wav file format is the most commonly used format because of it's descrete sampling intervals at even intervals. The upside of 8-bit is that it requires little disk space for the file, the downside is a noticeable audible hiss because of a lower resolution used in comparison to a 16-bit.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:41 pm
by MrPlow
Hmm, I thought the hissing sound and static was deliberate to imitate the poor radio transmissions and 78 RPM hiss (as in Hitler's and Stalin's recorded speeches). I like it.

My .wav files are associated with MS Media Player (version 7) and all play just fine outside of SPWAW, so the files themselves are fine and uncorrupted; they just wouldn't play when I Selected Option on the briefing screen, not speech, music, or anything (and I knew there was a 110xx.wav file for that node, cause I found it and played it outside SPWAW).

Since SPWAW will periodically crash with a Windows error msg (memory low - 5 Megs) when I am repeatedly opening and closing scenarios ( while editing ), I know SPWAW does not clean up memory well. So I figured the sound glitch was a program load problem, and made sure memory was clean before Selecting Options on the briefing screen. That worked on my machine. The briefing music, songs, and speeches play (when there is one for that node) when they're supposed to.

I'm not going to worry about it any more, and just enjoy the game.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:36 pm
by RockinHarry
Originally posted by MrPlow
Hmm, I thought the hissing sound and static was deliberate to imitate the poor radio transmissions and 78 RPM hiss (as in Hitler's and Stalin's recorded speeches). I like it.

My .wav files are associated with MS Media Player (version 7) and all play just fine outside of SPWAW, so the files themselves are fine and uncorrupted; they just wouldn't play when I Selected Option on the briefing screen, not speech, music, or anything (and I knew there was a 110xx.wav file for that node, cause I found it and played it outside SPWAW).

Since SPWAW will periodically crash with a Windows error msg (memory low - 5 Megs) when I am repeatedly opening and closing scenarios ( while editing ), I know SPWAW does not clean up memory well. So I figured the sound glitch was a program load problem, and made sure memory was clean before Selecting Options on the briefing screen. That worked on my machine. The briefing music, songs, and speeches play (when there is one for that node) when they're supposed to.

I'm not going to worry about it any more, and just enjoy the game.
MrPlow...thank you for telling us of how you solved this problem! This could be worth much for other gamers when encountering this same problem!:) This "5 Megs memory low" thingy I also get on a frequent base when switching between editing/playing SPWAW scenarios and I already have a tool running called "freemem" that I´ll try to use for this problem the next time. (...not yet tried up to this time now) Seems no matter how much RAM (..and swap file) you have on you puter, you always seem to get this 5 MB error.....Well..if nothing worse comes up with this grandpa...:D :)

Have fun!

________
Harry