Page 1 of 5
Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 am
by rogueusmc
If you don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout, you are a Pollywog...[:D]
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:37 am
by ChezDaJez
Shellback!!!
Chez
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:51 am
by YankeeAirRat
Still a Wog.
Been close twice to conversion and twice been robbed by real world operations.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:51 am
by Zorfwaddle
Pollywog, but Bluenose

RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:52 am
by Ron Saueracker
Never been to sea Billy [:(] so I never experienced Neptune's wrath.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 am
by Knavey
ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat
Still a Wog.
Been close twice to conversion and twice been robbed by real world operations.
Wog, ditto what Yankee said. Close on two seperate occasions (too busy dropping bombs), but never made it across.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:11 am
by whippleofd
Shellback. x2. And yes I still have my card's and those big-ol certificates.
It was definately MUCH more fun the second time! [;)]
Whipple
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:23 am
by JJB647
Golden Shellback and a Bluenose.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:27 am
by skrewball
Golden Shellback...JJB647...when did you cross?
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:32 am
by rogueusmc
Describe your Neptune?[:D]
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:08 am
by barnacle bob
Pollywog [:(]
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:09 am
by joey
Blue nose!!!!!!!
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:14 am
by Big B
Oh, definately a pollywog - never went to sea more than 100 miles past the the channel Is.
B
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:18 am
by Dereck
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
If you don't know what I'm talkin' 'bout, you are a Pollywog...[:D]
SHELLBACK
First time 24 April 1981 on USS Midway at latitude 0000 and logitude 070 degrees 34 east.
And like Whipple I still have my wallet size card and my two huge certificates though only the first one was framed (only a SHELLBACK would know what I went through to get the first one).
By the way, I STILL keep the wallet sized card in my wallet to this day.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:27 am
by RevRick
A Wog - RATS.. Never got near, Med and North Atlantic. Almost a BlueNose - within 20 miles. Near enough to be cold, not enough for anything else. So....15,000 miles underway chasing Bird Farms or Sov Subs - and just some good, and some bad, memories.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:32 am
by Dereck
ORIGINAL: RevRick
A Wog - RATS.. Never got near, Med and North Atlantic. Almost a BlueNose - within 20 miles. Near enough to be cold, not enough for anything else. So....15,000 miles underway chasing Bird Farms or Sov Subs - and just some good, and some bad, memories.
Funny how time changes memories or feelings ... in 1984 I wanted to be there when they turned the Midway into razor blades but 22 years later I feel very nostalgic about her and damn glad she was made into a museum rather than scrapped.
Also seems that I remember more of the good memories than the bad though there were plenty of both.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:40 am
by RevRick
I think that is what keeps us from burning our discharge papers immediately. I couldn't wait to get off the Charlie Deuce, and now I try to find pictures of her all the time. I even still have my seabag - just to remind me that I was really there.
Funny how time does that. I remember a lot of those things very well, including rabid chiefs, salutin' demon ensigns, captains bucking for admiral, weird XOs, and even weirder characters in the crew. And I have come to a conclusion that there were no bad liberty ports, just some better than others. There are no crazier characters than sailors. And I remember very well when it was time to go back to sea. I've been RFS for several years now.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:43 am
by Dereck
ORIGINAL: RevRick
I think that is what keeps us from burning our discharge papers immediately. I couldn't wait to get off the Charlie Deuce, and now I try to find pictures of her all the time. I even still have my seabag - just to remind me that I was really there.
Funny how time does that. I remember a lot of those things very well, including rabid chiefs, salutin' demon ensigns, captains bucking for admiral, weird XOs, and even weirder characters in the crew. And I have come to a conclusion that there were no bad liberty ports, just some better than others. There are no crazier characters than sailors. And I remember very well when it was time to go back to sea. I've been RFS for several years now.
I still remember the one person who was dumb enough to brag how he was going to be flown off the ship a few weeks into a 4 month deployment (most of it AT SEA) and have his back turned on me when I had duct tape in my hand.
Somehow [8|] he was wrapped up in duct tape and duct taped to the overhead.
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:12 am
by mbatch729
Wog, never made it south of Cuba.
ORIGINAL: RevRick
salutin' demon ensigns,
You saluted the butterbars?!?!?!

We usually just had our senior chief give them a spanking...
RE: Are you a Pollywog or a Shellback?
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:39 am
by Zorfwaddle
Hey dereck, went to lunch today at a Chinese restaurant with our Master Chief and a couple of other chiefs and one of the main subjects of conversation was the Midway. He was TAD (a spook) on her in 83 in the SOJ and some NorPac stuff. I was on her in 88 for Team Spirit; lots o' fun. Fortunately, I didnt have to hang out in SSES too much, my job was in SUPPLOT.
George