Page 1 of 2

Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:41 pm
by Fred98
When you are On The Road Again, every laundromat has a front loader. But most homes use a top loader.

Professionals knows best. Is it better to use a front loader or a top loader?




RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:47 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Wow! It's only January 23rd, and I think we already have a winner for Most OT post of 2006![;)]


RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:24 pm
by bradclark1
Front loaders take smaller loads but use way less water and is more energy efficent. We bought one two weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it.

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:30 pm
by carnifex
A front loader is better because it provides vertical rotation which leads to more agitation and also prevents tangles due to the missing center column.

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 pm
by Hertston
ORIGINAL: Joe 98

But most homes use a top loader.


Not in this country they don't. I think I've only ever seen one, and that must have been nearly as old as I am!

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:21 pm
by DuckofTindalos
Yeah, we got rid of the toploaders in this country eons ago...

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 pm
by oi_you_nutter
top loaders are most common in the USA
front loaders are almost universal in the UK

both have their advantages


RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 am
by Neilster
Frontloaders are for crowded, little houses in crowded, little countries [:D] .

Cheers, Neilster

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 am
by rhondabrwn
Sorry mate, but here in the Navajo Nation we generally prefer front loaders. I left the old top loader behind when I left the old USA.

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:28 am
by Neilster
ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Sorry mate, but here in the Navajo Nation we generally prefer front loaders. I left the old top loader behind when I left the old USA.
I was joking. A bit of research indicates that front-loaders tend to be more efficient but generally have lower capacities and unless mounted high are more of a pain to use. They are usually gentler on clothes but the new generation of agitator-free top-loaders may change that.

Cheers, Neilster


RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:15 am
by Raverdave
Front loaders are used more in the UK because they have their washing machines located in the kitchen.......I don't know why that is, you'll have to ask a pom.

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:33 pm
by old man of the sea
Also remeber that January 23rd is the statistical most unlucky and worst day of the year for everyone in the western culture.

Thus, this thread appeared.

E

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:46 pm
by Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: old man of the sea

Also remeber that January 23rd is the statistical most unlucky and worst day of the year for everyone in the western culture.

Thus, this thread appeared.

E

[:D]

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm
by fabertong
There is only one true way to load....and that is from the front......load from the top and be D*mned

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 pm
by Fred98
I have learnt more about washing machines here than I could ever learn from a washing machine salesman in a store!


Thanks!

Joe




RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:26 am
by Zap
Yes, I learned something. I'm a minority; a top loader!

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:44 am
by ShermanM4
Front loaders take smaller loads but use way less water and is more energy efficent. We bought one two weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it.

Thats right. Since we have a pretty bad drought here in Colorado, the city of Denver gave me a $200.00 rebate just for buying one. The thing I like the best about it, it practically dries your clothes for you because it uses less water.

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:21 am
by SemperAugustus
Japan has diagonal loaders, the main advantage being ergonomics without too much loss of the advantage of a front loader

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:57 am
by Marc von Martial
Top Loaders are vintage in this country here. Actually I can't remeber having seen one in action [;)]

RE: Front loader or top loader?

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:06 pm
by Raverdave
Well goddamn ! I top load and I am proud of the fact !