Page 1 of 1

Existing Forms and Helpers

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:05 am
by CarpeNoctem
Maybe this should be attn. to MarkShot but I'd like anyone to chime in with hints and tips concerning forms, notes, guides and other helpers.

Let me define: I am looking for existing forms that can be useful in analyzing a scenario or planning an operation. For example: In the SG (strategy guide) it contains a very good portion on planning. In it, it seems these ideas can be form filled to an extent. I.e. Each deduction may be the result of listing the objectives, and objective details. Also, something to encompass the forces involved, and terrain.

Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but I was wondering if someone uses something like these 'forms' to assist them in the planning, option selection and execution.

Thanks,

CN

RE: Existing Forms and Helpers

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:48 am
by MarkShot
I follow a fairly routine approach of analysis and planning although I don't know if it is at the point of being a mechanical procedure. Too much routine could be dangerous as it may well result in the commander (the player) failing to miss the key insight into what is the pivotal feature of the situation. Like my COTA mini-guide AAR where the key realization was that hasty attack was called for. Many of the battles have a key insight that is required. Thus, making it partly science and partly art.

At the moment, my wife is waiting for me to watch a DVD. I'll reflect upon your question and try to come up with a detailed answer in the next day or two.

RE: Existing Forms and Helpers

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:18 am
by CarpeNoctem
Thanks Mark,

Dont worry about it too much. Was sort of fishing expedition for existing things. Not really looking for something for end all results, just something to help with the process.

I.e. I try to write observations through the scenarios, but it really becomes useless because there isn't any real 'form' to it. Just post it note stuff.

-CN

RE: Existing Forms and Helpers

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:12 pm
by MarkShot
I have posted my initial thoughts on your question to the end of the COTA Mini-Guide.

{Unless something is only applicable to HTTR, then, these days, I will just address it as a COTA topic.}

RE: Existing Forms and Helpers

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 am
by MarkShot
CarpeNoctem,

By the way, I have finally completed this project. A template for enumerating the various information elements which should be assembled prior to battle.

It appears at the end of the COTA Mini-Guide thead. (It still needs some proof reading and polishing, but the keys ideas are there.)

Now go forth and encircle the enemy!