Page 1 of 2

Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 pm
by rroberson
...no I'm not quiting WITP...love that game. But Im looking for a new challenge. I have 50 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and would like to pick up a quality wargame. Any recommendations from you guys?



RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:28 pm
by Nikademus
Tried WPO?

or is that not different enough?

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Tried WPO?

or is that not different enough?


I have looked at WPO...but I question if its just more of the same WITP wise. I love the thought of big guns and all that, but having seen how this engine (love witp don't get me wrong) struggles to simulate things at times....I guess its I worry.

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 pm
by Nikademus
have you tried Combat Mission?

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:11 pm
by kellyc
While not a wargame per say....Galatic Civ2 just got released the other day (yesterday?). Stardock does a good job with support and patches etc.


http://www.galciv2.com/

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 pm
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: rroberson

...no I'm not quiting WITP...love that game. But Im looking for a new challenge. I have 50 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and would like to pick up a quality wargame. Any recommendations from you guys?



Crown of Glory

GG World at War

Gal Civ II

Civ 4


RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:24 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

have you tried Combat Mission?

Own all 3. THe first one remains my fave..I have dabbled with the 3rd alot...but the lack of a true campaign mode keeps me away.

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Tanaka
ORIGINAL: rroberson

...no I'm not quiting WITP...love that game. But Im looking for a new challenge. I have 50 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and would like to pick up a quality wargame. Any recommendations from you guys?



Crown of Glory

GG World at War

Gal Civ II

Civ 4


What is crown of glory? (Civ 4 rocks but its beer and pretzels same with GGWAW).

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 pm
by Nikademus
i havn't picked up the third yet. hard to justify given how little i've played the first two. They are way neat....but Steel Panthers still tends to beat them out for me.


RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:57 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

i havn't picked up the third yet. hard to justify given how little i've played the first two. They are way neat....but Steel Panthers still tends to beat them out for me.



I really enjoy the we go...and then replay perspective of it. I like dabbling with the create your scenario mode alot (I should of so been a game designer). I am however one of those lovers of all things campaign...and the lack of that really causes me to lose interest in it quickly.

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:02 pm
by Honda
I'd go for Civ4. It's a great relaxation from WitP and easy to learn, more so if you are a civ veteran. Single player is interesting and a great challage (a cheater of course) at higher difficulty. The best part is, IMO, the multiplayer. If you have some friends (3 will do) you'll find it's as smooth as it gets. The game flow is fast since all players play their turns simultaneously. So only toilet and get-the-beer breaks in this game.

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:11 pm
by Oliver Heindorf
since you are a sim player as well ( like me ) try NASCAR 2003 Season from Papyrus/Sierra. Get a good wheel and pedals and you will have the best sim of a race game ever. you can join an online league and have league races. there are several mods released as well. But remember : Its a Simulation, not like the EA cheap kids games.

turn is up [;)]

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:16 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

since you are a sim player as well ( like me ) try NASCAR 2003 Season from Papyrus/Sierra. Get a good wheel and pedals and you will have the best sim of a race game ever. you can join an online league and have league races. there are several mods released as well. But remember : Its a Simulation, not like the EA cheap kids games.

turn is up [;)]


Do I need to drink beer and say y'all alot [:D]

I owned their 2002 game...fun game...loved customizing my own car...don't think I ever won a race against the AI though :).

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:18 pm
by Nikademus
there's always a good game of Doom3.

play it at night...with all the lights out. [:D]

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 pm
by Speedysteve
Yup. Can't beat Doom 3 at night with lights off. Truly freaky at times.

Alternatviely on similar vein - Halflife 2?

I've just picked up Star Wars: Empire at War. Am loving it so far. Strategy but also tactical. If you like SW stuff you may like this.

Having said that Steel Panthers is a great WW2 tactical. Very realistic engine. Srill play it now and have done for a long time.

There's always Solitaire or Minesweeper [;)]

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:34 pm
by tsimmonds
There's always Solitaire or Minesweeper

Nah, no campaign mode....[;)]

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 pm
by crsutton
HPS Campaign Series is still one of my favorites. Big beautiful maps and lots of units. They cover about a dozen battles now. Playing against the AI is boring but I love email games.

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:50 pm
by MarcA
ORIGINAL: Speedy

Yup. Can't beat Doom 3 at night with lights off. Truly freaky at times.

You can say that again. just got it and it is can be un-nerving at times

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 am
by Titanwarrior89
Steel Panthers or Starwars: empire at war.[:D]

RE: Needs new game...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:55 am
by 2Stepper
Actually I'm going to investigate Empire at war myself. But WITP will stay on my box for gaming as desired. [8D]