Page 1 of 1
Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:34 am
by mark1726
When going back and forth between designing a play and then practicing it in the PDS, the performance eventually drops to bring the framerate below the 25 fps threshold. It takes several comings and goings, I would say at least 15. I end up having to reboot after 20 or so. Going against a defense in practice does not seem to make a difference one way or the other.
Just something to look at. If I were better at designing plays I wouldn't have to go back and forth so much!
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:00 am
by Sonny
ORIGINAL: mark1726
.......................................
Just something to look at. If I were better at designing plays I wouldn't have to go back and forth so much!
True for me too. Takes a lomg time for me to get anything halfway decent. And the whole practice setup every time...[:@]
I suggested having a way to save the practice setup between practice plays so you would not have to click everything each time.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:41 am
by David Winter
ORIGINAL: mark1726
When going back and forth between designing a play and then practicing it in the PDS, the performance eventually drops to bring the framerate below the 25 fps threshold. It takes several comings and goings, I would say at least 15. I end up having to reboot after 20 or so. Going against a defense in practice does not seem to make a difference one way or the other.
Just something to look at. If I were better at designing plays I wouldn't have to go back and forth so much!
I'll look into it. How much memory does your system have?
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:03 am
by mark1726
ORIGINAL: David Winter
ORIGINAL: mark1726
When going back and forth between designing a play and then practicing it in the PDS, the performance eventually drops to bring the framerate below the 25 fps threshold. It takes several comings and goings, I would say at least 15. I end up having to reboot after 20 or so. Going against a defense in practice does not seem to make a difference one way or the other.
Just something to look at. If I were better at designing plays I wouldn't have to go back and forth so much!
I'll look into it. How much memory does your system have?
768 mb ram on XP home. Small problem, just a nuiscance at this point. By about 20 times coming and going from the practice field the players don't even show up, all I see is a white field with the ball and shadows. Rebooting solves the problem instantly.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:31 am
by Breeze
I think this is true in the game also. I have noticed my performance slowly decreasing as a game goes on. I also have XP Home with 768 MB RAM.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:18 am
by Breeze
OK, there is definitely a memory leak in the game, and it's a rather severe one. I played an entire American game for the first time tonight, but by the fourth quarter it was extremely choppy. Now, I know I have a low-end system, but my performance should not decrease as the game goes on.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:01 pm
by mark1726
ORIGINAL: Breeze
OK, there is definitely a memory leak in the game, and it's a rather severe one. I played an entire American game for the first time tonight, but by the fourth quarter it was extremely choppy. Now, I know I have a low-end system, but my performance should not decrease as the game goes on.
Did you play the game from the MFB main menu, or did you use the quick start icon to go into the game interface? Maybe that menu application is the culprit because it is open all the time while in the PDS.
I haven't played much with a real game, no more than a quarter, so I haven't seen the performance drop while playing a game. I have been busy working on figuring out the PDS.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 pm
by Breeze
I think I used quick start.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 pm
by Sonny
I have played several complete games with no noticable slowdown. Then again, I have lots of memory. So it may be a slow leak.[:D]
Game Degradation
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 pm
by BCtheQB
IVe gotten the memory slow down so severly, the play freezes,
i reboot and it works fine
also to resuggest
stock settings for team and defense,when launching the play editor, that can be amended and saved in a cache, so that it isnt necessary to reload team and defense and wait everytime, because once you start desinging more plays than are in the original
you have to scroll down and find the play you are working against every time, and it saves about 50 extra clicks every time you design a play, my mouse is smoking right now.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:07 am
by arctcat
I thinks this is a cause for the fps
I did try the f11 it's up and down
I start @ 40fps then it's down to 20fps
i have seen it go up to 70fps for a second.[:)]
I love the arena football.!!!!!![:D]
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:16 am
by David Winter
Memory leaks are extremely difficult to track down. What I am trying to determine is why you're getting one going to and from the PDS as well as in game. A memory leak that rears its head in the fourth quarter, although annoying, makes sense because the game has continually built up the problem. But going to and from the PDS completely shuts down the game from memory.
RE: Possible memory leak with PDS/Game Engine
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:02 pm
by mark1726
ORIGINAL: David Winter
Memory leaks are extremely difficult to track down. What I am trying to determine is why you're getting one going to and from the PDS as well as in game. A memory leak that rears its head in the fourth quarter, although annoying, makes sense because the game has continually built up the problem. But going to and from the PDS completely shuts down the game from memory.
I don't know what to tell you. Basically I mess with a play, save it, then go to the practice field and see what happens. I run the play two or three times, then kill the practice, go back to the editor and repeat the cycle again. After about 15+ times of doing this (I have tracked it the last couple of times) I get the FPS warning in practice mode. I then reboot and everything is fine.
So far I find this as a nuiscance, but nothing show stopping. I haven't played a full game yet so I can't tell you if it is a problem there or not.