Page 1 of 1

LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:18 pm
by Mike Wethington
OK, I'm confused and need some help. I'm playing the latest version of UV and can't get Dive Bombers to perform.

I'm playing as the US and have a Lvl 5 airbase w/plenty of aircraft support and supply on Lunga. There are approximately 10 squadrons based on Lunga, including 3 SBD groups. I have 2 squadrons of F4Fs on 50% escort and the SBDs on Naval Attack. Unfortunately the don't do anything.

A TF w/3 Japanese CVs is within four hexes of Lunga and the SBDs NEVER launch an airstrike. I replayed the day 4 times and the NEVER did anything. I had a squadron of P-40s attack the CVs solo in one case (ouch). The SBDs have high morale, no fatigue (the don't do anything!) and 70+ experience.

What am I missing? It's not just CVs they don't attack, when my Lunga-based Havocs and Marauders are bombing the snot out of Japanese AGs, the Dauntlesses sit on the tarmac and look pretty.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get these planes into the fight?
Thanks[&o]

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:43 pm
by AcePylut
I'm having the same problem in a game against the AI.

I have a level 4 airbase at Irau and 150 B26/B25/Hudsons with about 50 fighters for escort, have the Jap CV DeathStar about 5 hexes away, and for 4 turns my LBA has sat on their butts doing nothing.

In the meantime, I lost 4 CV's (that decided to react to enemy carriers, great, but decided not to launch any attacks against them. :rolleyes:)... and had to shock attack with 20k troops for 4 days to capture Lunga.

And My LBA is still sitting on it's butt doing nothing. Why I had them on Naval Attack (10% Search) and Secondary attack of Ground Attack.,.. and they did nothing. 4 days in a row.

Where's the "execute officers for deriliction of duty" button? Cuz whoever is in charge of these squadrons is going to be courtmartialed for cowardice. Then shot.

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:05 pm
by Mike Wethington
This sounds like a bug. Although I can kind of understand the Tac Bombers not reacting to the Death Star. I don't understand the Marine Dive Bombers being so hesitant. It's what they are supposed to do.

What's the likelyhood of Matrix fixing this bug now that WitP is out?

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 pm
by Floyd
I don't think it's a bug. Please check manual page 41:

3. If the target is not the Target set for the air unit,
then the expected enemy CAP must not be too great for the
expected escorts to handle (roughly 1 escort is needed for every 2 CAP,
but the ratio is greater for escorts for longer range missions).
If bombing the Target, escort is not required.

I had my planes 'ignore' the 5 carrier force, but attacked a TF
with 2 BB and 6 DD later that day.


RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:40 pm
by Mike Wethington
I thought that might have been the issue with the CV TF, however, it still doesn't explain how 9 P40s will attack barges (with absolutely 0 CAP) at Tassafronga but the Dauntlesses (and their Wildcat escorts) wont do the same (all flying out of Lunga).

I wish we could specify either TF size, CVs v. Capital v. Auxillary v. All, or specific TFs to launch planes against. I'd always send Tac bombers against Auxillary but never Capital ships/CVs. Does this type of mission selection exist in WitP? It seems like an appropriate level of mission planning for this game.

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:21 pm
by Denniss
Tranfer a Wildcat unit to this base, maybe the game engine checks the odds using Army and Marine planes separately. Maybe the game engine thinks no marine fighters = no chance against the CAP of the enemy carrier group.

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:09 pm
by Mike Wethington
There are 3 Marine Wildcat squadrons based on Lunga. It's now a Level 7 base and still no attacks with 100% Wildcat escort (certainly hurts my LR Escort of convoys) and 3 SBD squadrons. Lunga is fully supplied and has an excess of 150 Air Support points and and excess of Support points. I Amphib Corps is based here, as is 1st MARDIV and Americal so plenty of HQs too (if those effect anything).

The SBDs wont even go after burning APs the P40s have shot up. Near as I can tell, they are drinking pina coladas and eating breadfruit. Maybe a mid-afternoon game of pinochle while the Army does ALL the work.

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:34 pm
by USSAmerica
ORIGINAL: Mike Wethington

I thought that might have been the issue with the CV TF, however, it still doesn't explain how 9 P40s will attack barges (with absolutely 0 CAP) at Tassafronga but the Dauntlesses (and their Wildcat escorts) wont do the same (all flying out of Lunga).

From page 43 of the manual:

- Aircraft that are not Fighter-bombers must be given an altitude of 100 feet in order to be eligible to attack a TF of all barges or PT boats. Fighterbombers will automatically dive down to 100 feet when attacking one of these Task Forces.

OK, so this explains the barge TF attacks, but not the examples of "burning AP's" not being attacked by the SBD's. I'm pretty sure the problem attacking the "death star" CV TF is not enough escorting fighters. Maybe there is also CAP or LRCAP flying over the "burning AP" TF?

There are so many variables that affect every action in this game that I'm sure there is a reason for the lazy SBD pilots. (A mid-afternoon game of pinochle is one of the best reasons I can think of. [:D] )

RE: LBA Dive Bombers Do Not Attack Shipping?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:57 pm
by Mike Wethington
Thanks, that was very cogent. I doubt the burning APs have CAP but I could be wrong. I'm experiencing similar things with TBDs based on GiliGili (AF 4) and shipping in the Bismark Sea. The Marauders and Havocs flying from PM are having a field day against unescorted APs near Buna. The TBDs, all in range, are just sitting there, even with escorts assigned.

I'm sure there are reasons for everything Mr. Grigsby does, he's a good designer. I just wish I understood this Navy/Marine shortcoming. Makes planning kinda tough.