Boardgames: Flat Top, The Eagle and The Sun
Posted: Wed May 09, 2001 4:38 am
Hi there,
This is my first post here (hurray!)
Anyway. Long time ago, when there were no computers... (yes, I'm married) I used to play an Avalon Hill (board) game called "Flat Top". It was about Guadalcanal, Coral Sea... campaigns.
Did you guys ever played it? Do you know about it?
It was pretty good for simulation of Air-Sea operations (no troops), with 1 turn = 1 hour scale. Was fun to play, even though the combat tables were... special.
They even published extension games (notably Midway and Wake) on the magazine "The General".
It could be a good source for getting info inorder to develop combat models.
I also played (once) a monster game called "The Eagle and The Sun". It was way too complex. It was something like WitP (= operational game) mixed with Flat Top (= tactical aspects).
How can be useful here? It had nice ideas such as ship positioning in a TaskForce (outer ring, inner ring and core), original force multiplier calculation systems and and extensive OOB.
With a bunch of frined we built our own "extensions": "Leyte Gulf" and "Leyte Gulf 2: What If". The second one was about IJN with more carriers (Shinano...), better pilots, lots of aircraft types... It sounds like your production system will be like that. And it was fun to play! Oh Yeah! (the main IJN BB-heavy CA managed to get in close-combat range with a disembarking TaskForce and a CV TaskForce!
Anyway, I just wanted to share my ideas about it.
Check six,
Sinner
This is my first post here (hurray!)
Anyway. Long time ago, when there were no computers... (yes, I'm married) I used to play an Avalon Hill (board) game called "Flat Top". It was about Guadalcanal, Coral Sea... campaigns.
Did you guys ever played it? Do you know about it?
It was pretty good for simulation of Air-Sea operations (no troops), with 1 turn = 1 hour scale. Was fun to play, even though the combat tables were... special.
They even published extension games (notably Midway and Wake) on the magazine "The General".
It could be a good source for getting info inorder to develop combat models.
I also played (once) a monster game called "The Eagle and The Sun". It was way too complex. It was something like WitP (= operational game) mixed with Flat Top (= tactical aspects).
How can be useful here? It had nice ideas such as ship positioning in a TaskForce (outer ring, inner ring and core), original force multiplier calculation systems and and extensive OOB.
With a bunch of frined we built our own "extensions": "Leyte Gulf" and "Leyte Gulf 2: What If". The second one was about IJN with more carriers (Shinano...), better pilots, lots of aircraft types... It sounds like your production system will be like that. And it was fun to play! Oh Yeah! (the main IJN BB-heavy CA managed to get in close-combat range with a disembarking TaskForce and a CV TaskForce!
Anyway, I just wanted to share my ideas about it.
Check six,
Sinner