Repair and Maintenance...the not so glam side of war
Posted: Sat May 19, 2001 5:09 am
An area which I've found in my personal experience as a refinery manager that is vital is the repair and maintenance of equipment. The ability of resourceful experienced people is invaluable.
The factors of resourcefulness and experience allowed pilots to fly planes when they should have been grounded and sailors to put to sea when it should not have been possible. I hope that there will be a way to model the ability of units to gain experience and put their units back into the fight quicker than inexperienced units. America's cactus air force on Guadalcanal is a great example of how the mechanics and technicians kept their planes flying at times when supplies were short and conditions abominable. I'm sure their are similar examples on the Japanese side.
The work of dockyards also did some amazing things at times, everyone is probably aware of the Yorktown's frantic repair job before Midway. I believe some of the Austrailian ports also did some pretty amazing repair turn arounds early in the war.
Will dockyards build experience?
WIll airgroups and ships with experience have a higher rate of available equipment?
I don't want this game to get bogged down in too many details....but it would be cool to include this.
Norseman
The factors of resourcefulness and experience allowed pilots to fly planes when they should have been grounded and sailors to put to sea when it should not have been possible. I hope that there will be a way to model the ability of units to gain experience and put their units back into the fight quicker than inexperienced units. America's cactus air force on Guadalcanal is a great example of how the mechanics and technicians kept their planes flying at times when supplies were short and conditions abominable. I'm sure their are similar examples on the Japanese side.
The work of dockyards also did some amazing things at times, everyone is probably aware of the Yorktown's frantic repair job before Midway. I believe some of the Austrailian ports also did some pretty amazing repair turn arounds early in the war.
Will dockyards build experience?
WIll airgroups and ships with experience have a higher rate of available equipment?
I don't want this game to get bogged down in too many details....but it would be cool to include this.
Norseman