Page 1 of 2
Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 am
by Nemo121
Hi.
I've updated to 1.8 and have given orders to several of my air transport units to pick up troops from 3 separate, captured bases and fly them back to the air transport unit's base but none of them are doing this. I've noticed the same bug under 1.795 and posted it to the forum.
can anyone else confirm or deny that the "Pick Up Troops" option is broken under 1.8 as my experience would seem to suggest it is.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:00 am
by treespider
Need more info...What size bases are you flying to/from?
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 pm
by dtravel
Are the bases you are trying to pick up from damaged at all?
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:26 pm
by Nemo121
One example is from Palembang ( Size 4) attempting to pick up paratroops from Merak ( Size 1).
basically I dropped the paratroops there a couple of days ago and now want to pick them up.
Another example is an attempt to pick up paratroops at Sabang (AF 1) using transports from Johore Bahru ( AF 5).
No bases have any damage whatsoever at any base.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:27 pm
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: Nemo121
One example is from Palembang ( Size 4) attempting to pick up paratroops from Merak ( Size 1).
basically I dropped the paratroops there a couple of days ago and now want to pick them up.
Another example is an attempt to pick up paratroops at Sabang (AF 1) using transports from Johore Bahru ( AF 5).
No bases have any damage whatsoever at any base.
Send save(and password) to
wigwamitus@gmail.com and I'll have a look.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:09 am
by LargeSlowTarget
I play AB's Guadalcanl scen (105) and try to evacuate Tulagi, ordering patrol seaplanes (Mavis) at Shortland to pick up the garrison - they transport supplies to Tulagi instead... Okay, Tulagi is airbase size 0, but since these are seaplanes, this shouldn't be an issue.
A related issue, I also tried to use the dedicated Mavis transport squadron for the same purpose, but there pickup orders cannot even be given because the prog tells me the destination has no airbase - aren't those planes seaplanes as well?
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:23 pm
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
I play AB's Guadalcanl scen (105) and try to evacuate Tulagi, ordering patrol seaplanes (Mavis) at Shortland to pick up the garrison - they transport supplies to Tulagi instead... Okay, Tulagi is airbase size 0, but since these are seaplanes, this shouldn't be an issue.
A related issue, I also tried to use the dedicated Mavis transport squadron for the same purpose, but there pickup orders cannot even be given because the prog tells me the destination has no airbase - aren't those planes seaplanes as well?
IIRC using seaplanes to air transport LCUs in/out of base hexes with no level 1+ airbase was possible in UV, but never possible in WITP. At least for UV 1.0 to 2.2 (I haven't played UV since WITP came out). I've wondered several times why this diffference exists. Not sure whether it is on purpose or not. Should not be a huge code change either way, but just pointing out this is not new. Oh and BTW yes supplies can be transport by PA to level 0 airbase, as you say, just not LCU.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:10 pm
by mc3744
I've experienced the same problem in my game vs. Gen. Hoepner on every attempt.
I eventually gave up using paratroopers bacause I still have to go and pick them up by ship.
I had the problem under 1.60 and under 1.795
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:27 pm
by pauk
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
IIRC using seaplanes to air transport LCUs in/out of base hexes with no level 1+ airbase was possible in UV, but never possible in WITP.
hmmm... are you sure? i think my esteemed opponent (Andy Mac) airlifted LCUs to Majuro and Nauru with Catalinas (both bases have af size 0)
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:38 pm
by Rob Brennan UK
Im sure you can send troops via seaplane or flyingboat to a level 0 base, just cant pick them up untill the place is level 2 .. iirc
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:23 am
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: Nemo121
One example is from Palembang ( Size 4) attempting to pick up paratroops from Merak ( Size 1).
basically I dropped the paratroops there a couple of days ago and now want to pick them up.
Another example is an attempt to pick up paratroops at Sabang (AF 1) using transports from Johore Bahru ( AF 5).
No bases have any damage whatsoever at any base.
Send save(and password) to
wigwamitus@gmail.com and I'll have a look.
Ok, I have been able to investigate one of Nemo121's problems. He flew a fragment of the 1st IJA "DashForward" Regiment to Merak ... after it arrived, it acquired a 47mm AT gun (as do a number of the other 9 fragments of this same LCU). When I did the "pick up" mission from Palembang to bring the Merak fragment back, all the "flyable" devices made the trip back, only the 47mm AT gun remained at Merak. So this is not a bug, but is what we call WAD (working as designed). The IJA airborne units in stock have this problem that the 47mm AT guns are too heavy to fly. I think this has been changed in some of the mods. But the 47mm gun will need to be retreived via ship.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:30 am
by michaelm75au
One moral in this instance is:
Turn off replacements when performing air-drops?
[Maybe replacements can be automatically turned off on the parent unit when it is piscked for transport?]
Michael
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:51 am
by Brady
2 Questions:
1) Why cant the 47 mm AT be Air transported? The Game will airtransport all kinds of huge ass guns why not a tiny 47mm At gun?
2) Why cant flying boats pick up and transport anything they want from a Zize "0" Base?
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:57 am
by pasternakski
ORIGINAL: Brady
2) Why cant flying boats pick up and transport anything they want from a Zize "0" Base?
I guess you figure that lugging equipment across a sand (or worse) beach through the surf and hoisting it by hand into a seaplane through a hatch designed only for personnel ingress and egress to be stowed safely for air transport is just par for the course, eh?
Recently, where I live, a licensed cargo aircraft (DC-8) was taking off, had its supposedly secured cargo shift while banking out of the airfield, dropped tail first into a junkyard, and killed the pilot and copilot while splattering itself and its load over several acres of landscape.
Warfare and logistics ain't as easy as you often times seem to think, Brady old man, no matter what "zize" you are.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:08 am
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK
Im sure you can send troops via seaplane or flyingboat to a level 0 base, just cant pick them up untill the place is level 2 .. iirc
Went in and tried with the Coral Sea scenario ... strange ... with the Emily's I can fly in troops to a level 0 ... but with the dedicated transport flying boats, the H6K2-L's I cannot.
Went in and looked at the database ... the Emily is a patrol, the H6K2-L is a "transport" just like the Thora, etc. just like all the landbased transport, so that is the issue, the flying boat transport is classified the same as the landbased transports. So we may need to make a new plane type - "FB Transport" and enable the features of a transport and some of the features of the flying boat. Something else to add to the list. But this tells me why I thought it worked in UV (cause there were no H6K2-L's just Mavis's and Emily's) and why I thought it was broke in WITP (cause I kept trying to use the new transport flying boats as flying boat transports - but they don't work - since the game doesn't know they are flying boats !).
So I'll add this to the wish list to get in in the queue.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:28 am
by Brady
So a Coranado, PBY and a PBM, Emily, ect, should be able to fly men and material to a "0" and from a "0" corect, presently in WiTP?
And eveunatly the "Transport" FB's?
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:50 am
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: Brady
So a Coranado, PBY and a PBM, Emily, ect, should be able to fly men and material to a "0" and from a "0" corect, presently in WiTP?
And eveunatly the "Transport" FB's?
Anything the DB shows as a type 10 patrol (which includes the ones you mention and others - but NOT the H6K2-Ls)
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:09 am
by pasternakski
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
So we may need to make a new plane type - "FB Transport" and enable the features of a transport and some of the features of the flying boat. Something else to add to the list. So I'll add this to the wish list to get in in the queue.
Aw, man, aren't there bigger fish to fry than this? Besides, all that has been asserted on this point in the time WitP has been a subject in these forums is, "I wish" and "I want." Where is the basis in historical fact for making this a game feature? I "would like" to see seaplane transport of troops scaled back, not augmented, unless there is reason not to do so. Not only would historicity be served, but the game would become simpler with cleaner code, and "disappearing unit" problems might be minimized or eliminated.
Just because three or four grunts can climb into a PBY or an Emily doesn't mean that forces sufficient to defend an installation large enough in size and significant enough in strategic consideration in a game of this scale can be transported by aircraft units created for the primary mission of detecting and reporting enemy naval forces.
I suggest that this whole concept be dropped from the game.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:31 am
by jwilkerson
ORIGINAL: pasternakski
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
So we may need to make a new plane type - "FB Transport" and enable the features of a transport and some of the features of the flying boat. Something else to add to the list. So I'll add this to the wish list to get in in the queue.
Aw, man, aren't there bigger fish to fry than this? Besides, all that has been asserted on this point in the time WitP has been a subject in these forums is, "I wish" and "I want." Where is the basis in historical fact for making this a game feature? I "would like" to see seaplane transport of troops scaled back, not augmented, unless there is reason not to do so. Not only would historicity be served, but the game would become simpler with cleaner code, and "disappearing unit" problems might be minimized or eliminated.
Just because three or four grunts can climb into a PBY or an Emily doesn't mean that forces sufficient to defend an installation large enough in size and significant enough in strategic consideration in a game of this scale can be transported by aircraft units created for the primary mission of detecting and reporting enemy naval forces.
I suggest that this whole concept be dropped from the game.
Point taken, but when H6K2-L was added to the game, the clear intent was to have it be a flying boat transport. But it was added as a landbased transport instead. I'd call this a "data error". In UV the H6K2-L was just rolled into the Mavis and allowed to be a transport and a naval recon plane, WITP tried to separate out the transport function, but did not implement a means to be a flying boat transport. So we could either roll this back and just make the HK62-L's be Mavis' or enable them as a new type, either way would implement the design intent. But all proposals will go through a "prioritization process" and with several hundred items on the plate, it isn't clear where this one will be on the list. Players of course could change the plane to be a Mavis themselves, if it is important to them, in the mean time.
RE: Air Transport still bugged under 1.8?
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:21 am
by pasternakski
ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
In UV the H6K2-L was ... So we could either roll this back and just make the HK62-L's ...
heeheehee ... what about this post gives you something in common with a certain Captain Shepard?