Page 1 of 1

AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:27 am
by samthesham
Getting ready for my first Jap campaign game... what possible
use are these AG's? Speed 8 knots, range 1? what is the point?

what the heck IS a collier anyway?

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:56 am
by bradfordkay
This is a recurring question. The manual lists the old standard naval nomenclature AG as a collier. The game has the small landing barges listed as AGs. Very few colliers were used by WW2 navies as most (nearly all?) naval vessels had been switched to oil buring by WW2.

These AGs, the small barges, are very good for resupplying bases exposed to allied air attack. They are worth exactly 0 victory points to the allied player when he sinks them.

The most famous collier was the ship converted into the USS Langley, our first aircraft carrier (used as a AV in WITP as she was no longer truly cpaable of handling modern carrier a/c by ww2).

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:14 am
by ChezDaJez
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

This is a recurring question. The manual lists the old standard naval nomenclature AG as a collier. The game has the small landing barges listed as AGs. Very few colliers were used by WW2 navies as most (nearly all?) naval vessels had been switched to oil buring by WW2.

These AGs, the small barges, are very good for resupplying bases exposed to allied air attack. They are worth exactly 0 victory points to the allied player when he sinks them.

The most famous collier was the ship converted into the USS Langley, our first aircraft carrier (used as a AV in WITP as she was no longer truly cpaable of handling modern carrier a/c by ww2).

I agree.

samthesham,

Don't worry about ther endurance or speed. You can send them anywhere you want and don't need to refuel them as they will move one hex per impulse regardless of whether they have fuel or not.

Now I personally think moving them long distances without refueling them is a bit gamey so I always put a ship capable of fueling them in a separate TF and refuel them at various points along the way. If their destination is within enemy LBA range then I send them on their own from there after refueling one last time. This way I don't have to risk many valuable ships and I can get some supply to units that have been bypassed. Works for me.

Chez

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:35 am
by FeurerKrieg
Yes, and their range looks like one, but it is actually 6 once you replensh them. They are also good for CS missions in short range areas. Like Kwaj to Moleap, or various areas in the SRA. And of course in the roles that Chez mentioned.

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:01 pm
by Mike Solli
When I began this infernal game, I thought AGs were pretty much useless. Now I love them. I use them in 3 locations for various reasons.

Home Islands - I move supply from Korea to Japan.
SRA - I move supply from various resource ports to other ports that need it.
Rabaul-Solomons - I move units & supply to various islands.

They're very useful when used properly.

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:55 pm
by Feinder
You can send them anywhere you want and don't need to refuel them as they will move one hex per impulse regardless of whether they have fuel or not.

Row, row, row your boat...

-F-

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:58 pm
by mlees
Row, row, row your boat...

Yarr! Set the Mains'ls. Set the Foretops'l. Set the TopRoyalGallants'l s'l... Yarr! Arrr...

*Sets fake parrot back to upright position on shoulder*

RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:21 am
by LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: Feinder

Row, row, row your boat...

-F-

George and Melchett: "Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Belts off, trousers down, life is such a scream. UNHH!!"
Blackadder: "Fabulous. University education: you can't beat it."


RE: AG Colliers Daihatsu class

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 pm
by WEXF
I have seen a posting that said that the Daihatsu Class landing barges were worth ZERO VP.
In the ship listings there is a page that shows 1 VP for such a barge. Which is correct?

The posting above in this thread said:

"These AGs, the small barges, are very good for resupplying bases exposed to allied air attack. They are worth exactly 0 victory points to the allied player when he sinks them."


Wex