Page 1 of 1
MTBs Anyone?
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 7:28 pm
by madflava13
I'm curious how MTB/PT boats are going to be modeled. They're in the game, (they should be IMO), but are they going to be like the ones in PACWAR? Those had very little value, and watching 60 Bettys from Rabaul strafe them for an hour per turn wan't too fun either... I would love to see them used properly, denying resupply to Guadalcanal, etc... Just some random thoughts, anyone feel the same/differently?
------------------
"The Paraguayan request for subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 11:05 pm
by Joel Billings
In UV we account for the use of barges to run local supply missions through the Solomons. These barges are used where it's too dangerous to use valuable transports.
Since they generally run unescorted, they are easily shot up by PT Boats if the PT Boats can find them. Against major warship groups (or heavily escorted transports) PT Boats are just an annoyance factor that can occasionally score a big hit, but against barges they can cause serious disruption to what otherwise would be a cheap way of ferrying supplies in waters covered by enemy air units. Is that what you are looking for?
Joel
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:17 am
by Ed Cogburn
Originally posted by Joel Billings:
In UV we account for the use of barges to run local supply missions through the Solomons. These barges are used where it's too dangerous to use valuable transports.
Since they generally run unescorted, they are easily shot up by PT Boats if the PT Boats can find them. Against major warship groups (or heavily escorted transports) PT Boats are just an annoyance factor that can occasionally score a big hit, but against barges they can cause serious disruption to what otherwise would be a cheap way of ferrying supplies in waters covered by enemy air units. Is that what you are looking for?
Sounds great Joel. I remember reading somewhere that PT boats evolved into barge-busters. They had to upgun the PT boats to deal with heavily armed barges. There were many pitched gun battles between them.
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:34 am
by madflava13
Absolutely... Thats what I would put into my ultimate version of this game if I had the know-how or programming ability that you guys do... I don't have either, so I will just continue to anxiously await the game's release. Thanks for being the best damn wargame company on the planet!
------------------
"The Paraguayan request for subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:30 am
by Mike Wood
Hello...
Also, please note that PT boats are harder to spot by air than larger ships and if they stay close to the shore, they are harder to spot, still.
Originally posted by madflava13:
Absolutely... Thats what I would put into my ultimate version of this game if I had the know-how or programming ability that you guys do... I don't have either, so I will just continue to anxiously await the game's release. Thanks for being the best damn wargame company on the planet!
They have very limited range, however, and only have a combat radius of about 150 miles or five hexes. With a maximum range of only about 300 miles, you really need the PT bases well forward in the combat zone. To get them that far forward, you will need to transport them or build, as do I, little refueling bases along the way.
Bye...
Michael Wood
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:55 am
by madflava13
Ok, if theres that much detail in PT ops, I can't wait for all the other stuff... I love you guys.
------------------
"The Paraguayan request for subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:08 pm
by Hammer2000
Kann das verdammt noch eins schneller gehen.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:57 am
by Bulldog61
Since PT Boats will be able to play their historic role will we also need tenders to maintain them?
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 12:36 pm
by Mike Wood
Hello...
They are on the list of things to add. If time and weather allow, we will add 'em.
Originally posted by MikeKraemer:
Since PT Boats will be able to play their historic role will we also need tenders to maintain them?
Thanks for Your interest...
Michael Wood
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:58 pm
by madflava13
Ok, I know I'm pathetic, but I am already trying to figure out where I'll be basing my sub, seaplane, and perhaps PT boat tenders...
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:41 am
by Mike Wood
Hello...
I do not feel that to be pathetic. It is this sort of detail which should make the game really neat.
Originally posted by madflava13:
Ok, I know I'm pathetic, but I am already trying to figure out where I'll be basing my sub, seaplane, and perhaps PT boat tenders...
As an area commander, that is exactly the sort of thing you would consider.
I think you are going to like UV & WiP...
Michael Wood