Page 1 of 2
What's your game?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 am
by Banquet
So, as we get closer to CotA release - what are you all doing to pass the time?
For me this is a great time for computer games.. I'm having a lot of fun playing Take Command 2nd Manassas. Similar AI structure to HttR, and you can actually receive orders from superior commanders if you choose to play at that level. Thanks to Markshot for recommending that series. Another one Markshot recommended that I'm starting to play is Birth of America. Wonderful map, original subject matter and simple but thoughtful gameplay.
Then Oblivion - not everyone's cup of tea I expect.. but what a game! I lost about 3 weeks of my life to this.. and I'll lose some more before I'm done. Pure adventure.. exciting and epic.
War in the Pacific has just been patched to 1.8. A great mod, CHS, will soon be released to take advantage of the new code.. another mod, RHS, is about to be released.
HoI2 Doomsday. A few bugs ([:@]) but for 12 quid this must be the biggest wargame bang for buck in history. I could take this to a desert island and play it till I'm dead.
All will be on hold when CotA is released though. I really think Panther's latest might be the finest wargame I've ever played.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:49 am
by SuomiKp
I have been playing Highway to the Reich and World War 2 Online , been thinking to download 2nd Manassas.
Oblivion is waiting for new computer , it lacks too much with my old one
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:49 am
by Trigger Happy
Well beside Panther games' games, I have recently bought Red Orchestra, but haven't had the time to play it as much as I'd like to. Besides that, I'm not much of a gamer right now.
Oh and by times of great stress like now I mostly play windows' Minesweeper... Try to beat 188 seconds for expert [8D]
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 am
by JeF
I don't play much with the computer recently.
I started the Deelen Option campaign in HttR. Still ongoing.
I'm interrested in CM:Campaign and began training in CMBB. I'm so bad...
Recently, my youngest son received Mad Tracks, a furious race "simulation" for miniature pull-back friction cars. Lots of fun for the whole family.
I'm taking an eye on TC:2M and BoA as well.
JeF.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:14 pm
by Grouchy
Read good things about Take Command 2nd Manassas but due copyprotection I couldn't get the demo to run so i passed that one.
Currently playing Galactic Civ II and World War 2 Online.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:22 am
by Oleg Mastruko
Red Orchestra is pretty much the only game I play these days.....
Of course there is old favorite - WITP, I keep my pace in current PBEMs and with summer approaching, and 1.8 patch out may start couple more.
Oleg
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:46 am
by Golf33
What handle do you use in RO, Oleg?
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:37 am
by Arjuna
Why Steve? Will you be looking out for him or just looking for him?[;)]
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:22 pm
by Oleg Mastruko
ORIGINAL: Golf33
What handle do you use in RO, Oleg?
*7GA*Samsonov
*7GA* is tag of my "realism clan", Soviet 7th Guards Army

Samsonov is my "realism name". In realism clans - German or Soviet - people pick authentic names so that this whole role playing thing works better. Now that I am at it - come join the 7GA and kick some fascist ass! We rule! [;)]
We haven't had any clan match yet though [8D] and on public servers I play both sides, German and Soviet, depending on the map.
I saw you on the RO boards Steve. Do you get playable ping to US or perhaps even Euro servers from Australia?
Oleg
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:27 pm
by Crimguy
Got 2nd Manassas yesterday. First game I can think of that I actually replayed the demo numerous times, so I figured it was worth a pop. Great game. Just trying to figure out why these Civil War guys are so obsessed with the period uniforms - it's a big part of their culture that I can't comprehend. It seems like Star Trek fanboys to me ;-D
Also don't understand how many ppl state on the MadMinute forums they "identify" more with the Confederate side of the conflict.
Also playing CMAK. Still one of the top series ever. Just wish fog was recreated on my Radeon card.
Oblivion sucked 50 hours of my life. I had to stop for productivity/marriage purposes.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:25 am
by Golf33
ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko
*7GA*Samsonov
*7GA* is tag of my "realism clan", Soviet 7th Guards Army

Samsonov is my "realism name". In realism clans - German or Soviet - people pick authentic names so that this whole role playing thing works better. Now that I am at it - come join the 7GA and kick some fascist ass! We rule! [;)]
We haven't had any clan match yet though [8D] and on public servers I play both sides, German and Soviet, depending on the map.
I saw you on the RO boards Steve. Do you get playable ping to US or perhaps even Euro servers from Australia?
I'll keep an eye out for you and your clan mates [:)]
Playable ping depends a bit - not sure where the FKMod server is located but I usually get decent pings to that. Euro servers tend to be a bit out of reach though.
I play a bit of both sides but really do prefer Soviet [:)]
I'll keep an eye out for you.
Regards
33
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:31 pm
by Tzar007
I'm playing Galactic Civilization II right now. I liked the first one and the second one is well done too, goes into deeper details.
I fyou are looking a for a great grand strategy game set in the future, sci-fi style, you can't go wrong with this one.
However it takes up quite a good PC to play this game on huge or gigantic universes.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:07 pm
by Agema
*7GA* is tag of my "realism clan", Soviet 7th Guards Army Samsonov is my "realism name"
Heavens! Wasn't Samsonov the poor guy who led the Russian army that was left unsupported and so annihilated at Tannenberg in 1914? I hope the realism doesn't extend that far for you. [;)]
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:15 pm
by Oleg Mastruko
Indeed he was, my bow goes to the fellow WW1 East Front afficionado [&o] Given the very unthankful task of attacking in the midst of expertly led German resistance, Samsonov failed, and commited samurai style battlefield suicide rather than to live with the shame.
But I didn't pick my nick (pick my nick?) because of him - after all he was Tsarist General, I am just lowly Mladzhy Serzhant (yes we have "realism ranks" in our clan [:D]) in the Soviet RKKA! I just picked it because it sounds Russian, and in some of Varlaam Shalamov's short stories there is character of "engineer Samsonov". Since I have utmost respect for Shalamov, and since I never got to be engineer in real life, I decided to pick Samsonov as my alter ego, when the need for alter ego arises [:D]
Samsonov (see what you guys have done, I am thinking of chaning my Matrix Games nick [:D])
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:00 am
by JudgeDredd
Playing all sorts Read another post of mine in the General Discussion forum!!)
But mostly I play HoI2 Doomsday and I have some PBEM Combat Mission games (all 3 flavours) going.
And Battle of Britain for my simulation fix....and Silent Hunter III when I feel like creeping about in the deadly dark and stalking my prey!
Also wanted some opinions on Take Command - 2nd Manassas (see General Forum). Played the demo a few times and liked it...so what's the proper game like? So far responses have been fairly negative (although I think they're talking about the first one).
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 pm
by Real and Simulated Wars
I just came back from a 3 week long vacation, hoping to purchase CoTA before doing anything else, like unpacking.
Then, I had to unpack. [:D]
As for games, last night I impulsively bought the download version of TC2M . Is a good game but sincerely I was expecting more from MMG. I was expecting some improvements in the gameplay department and all I can see is a great leap in graphics (better uniforms, flags and scenario stuff). I understand that's a very important department for CW buffs ("I finally can play this game now that the 1st Alabama's men have two ammo pouches!"[X(]), but I also fear that the graphics department is what keeps developer's mind away from gameplay. So far, seeing a famous general sucking a lemon didn't make it for me. It beats laundrying the unpacked clothes, though. [:'(]
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:13 pm
by Crimguy
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Also wanted some opinions on Take Command - 2nd Manassas (see General Forum). Played the demo a few times and liked it...so what's the proper game like? So far responses have been fairly negative (although I think they're talking about the first one).
I'm finding TC2M to be a real nice sim, but definitely needs a few tweaks here and there. The basic mechanics of it are excellent, and I think the graphics are very good/appropriate for the type of sim it is. I also find it to be a very well-paced game. It presents a number of interesting challenges, and defeating the Rebs can provide a good "mission accomplished" feeling.
Downsides - camera controls via mouse are not as smooth as CM (cant rotate camera). Can't zoom the map. can't quickly get from one commander to another - it would be nice to jump to a commander by selecting them on the map. Some unit control issues/challenges as well. I think it was well worth my $40, but CotA would have had that $$ if it were released already[:D]
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:23 pm
by Banquet
You should be able to rotate the camera by holding the right mouse button.
I like 2nd Manassas a lot. I am still a little confused about the AI control though. When the game starts you order your (say) brigades around by ordering it's commander to a location, then use the wheeling icons to get him pointing the right way - then select a formation and his troops march off and align themselves appropriately. But - after the brigade makes contact with the enemy it gets a stance assigned, if you haven't already assigned it one. Once that's done I can't seem to give the commander formation orders any more because his orders marker disappears before I can complete the order. This may be to simulate confusion of battle. I guess you just have to get into the habit of not micro managing where every unit goes once the battle is underway.
I'm also frequently getting lost on the map without having a mini map onscreen.
One feature it does have that I miss in the Panther games series is a sort of skirmish mode, where you can pick the map and the victory conditions.. in this mode of play you get time to organise and place your army where you want it, which I enjoy.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:35 pm
by Crimguy
Should have been clearer - in CM I like being able to rotate the camera by moving the mouse tothe upper left and right edges of the screen. You can right-click and rotate in TC2M, but I keep instinctively trying the Combat Mission way.
It gets confusing with the control of brigades because sometimes they do as you say without much intervention. Other times you have to hit the Take Control button and literally do it all for the general. I find the best medium is to TC, send them where you want them, and turn off TC when they get there, letting the AI do the rest.
RE: What's your game?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 pm
by Banquet
I'll have to try that.
I see what you mean about the rotate camera. I kept doing that to at first - not just from CM, but Rome:Total War also got me in that habit. I've got used to the right button method now - but probably next time I play CM or Rome I'll be trying to rotate them with mouse button!