Page 1 of 4

PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:40 pm
by Ron Saueracker
Hey guys. Just upgraded a RNZAF Hudson squadron to Venturas and was floored by the lack of range. I think we have a specification booboo here.


Image

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:05 pm
by Kereguelen
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Hey guys. Just upgraded a RNZAF Hudson squadron to Venturas and was floored by the lack of range. I think we have a specification booboo here.


Image

Hi,

noticed the same (and btw., the RNZAF used the Ventura GR.Mk V not the PV-1).

But I'm not sure about the total bomb load of the Ventura, some sources give the Ventura a load of 5,000lb instead of the 3,000lb given by you and used in stock game. Maybe their reduced range (as given in the game) was with 5,000lb bomb load? [your picture shows only 4x 500lb bombs as loadout - CHS game?]

K

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:21 pm
by Ron Saueracker
Yep

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:35 pm
by Halsey
I think elcid has addressed this in his RHS.
Anyone playing it know for sure?


RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 pm
by el cid again
Hey guys. Just upgraded a RNZAF Hudson squadron to Venturas and was floored by the lack of range. I think we have a specification booboo here.

You may thank our resident lady - Black Mamba - for this. She went to bat for the Ventura - and provided a great deal of information with sourcing. Seems it was a big deal up north too - they bombed Japan from the Aleutians with it! She was dead on right, and both stock and CHS were dead on wrong. There is also an interesting story here about the designation - which is almost unique - PV was decided to imply this is a patrol bomber - but then it got used as a bomber bomber anyway! I do not know or understand how the short range version got into the game - but I do know that almost ALL Allied bombers were grossly misdefined. On the other hands, it is a slightly mixed bag - SOME Allied bombers lost range. Joe was in charge of me then - and his doctrine was "go with the data." So we did.

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:22 am
by JeffroK
The RNZAF only used the PV-1 Ventura & B-34 Ventura in the Pacific

One Sqn did use the GR Mk V in the ETO.

ADF Serials, New Zealand Section at www.adfserials.com

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:21 am
by tabpub
Old news Ron; ole TJ was beating the drums on this one a year ago as I recollect. I pm'd Pry on this one; nothing ever came of it. As I remember this, it was before 1.6; would have been nice to have in the OB corrections.

On the other hand, it really doesn't matter; there are plenty of Privateers for these to transition to in the future.

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:38 am
by JeffroK
The RAAF also had a Sqn of Venturas

From the RAAF Museum site

TECHNICAL DATA
(Lockheed-Vega Ventura GR5 (PV-1)

DESCRIPTION: General-reconnaissance bomber, with 5 crew. All metal stressed-skin construction.

POWER PLANT: Two 2,000 hp Pratt and Whitney R 2800-31

DIMENSIONS: Span, 65 ft 6 ins; length, 51 ft 9 ins; height, 13 ft 2 ins.

WEIGHTS: Empty, 20,197 lb; loaded, 31,077 lb.

PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 312 mph at 13,800 ft. Crusing speed, 164 mph. Service ceiling, 26,300 ft. Climb, 2,230 ft/min initial. Range, 1,600 miles.

ARMAMENT: Two 0.50 fixed guns in nose, two 0.50 guns in dorsal turret, and two 0.30 guns in ventral position. Six 500 lb bombs or six 325 lb depth charges. A torpedo could also be carried in the fuselage bay

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:29 pm
by el cid again
The RNZAF only used the PV-1 Ventura & B-34 Ventura in the Pacific

Do we have the right squadrons in our OB? I did not specifically look up RNZAF or correct anything except what someone pointed out - we are using CHS research - which I believe is rather good for NZ.

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:31 pm
by el cid again
The RAAF also had a Sqn of Venturas

More than one according to my RAAF book. Any that we missed in PTO?

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:28 pm
by JeffroK
ORIGINAL: el cid again
The RAAF also had a Sqn of Venturas

More than one according to my RAAF book. Any that we missed in PTO?

I checked the ADF Serials site,13 Sqn was the only Pacific based RAAF Ventura Sqn.

(464 Sqn was only in the ETO)

It served in the RNZAF 1,2,3,4,8 & 9 Sqns during WW2 and 75 Sqn post war.
(I only see 1 allocated to 4 Sqn, and 1 Sqn seemed to be an interim unit before they were allocated to other Sqns)

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:56 pm
by el cid again
I checked the ADF Serials site,13 Sqn was the only Pacific based RAAF Ventura Sqn.

I do not see a 13 Squadron. Can you tell me when it entered the theater - its size - and how you know this?

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:02 pm
by el cid again
It served in the RNZAF 1,2,3,4,8 & 9 Sqns during WW2 and 75 Sqn post war.
(I only see 1 allocated to 4 Sqn, and 1 Sqn seemed to be an interim unit before they were allocated to other Sqns)

Only 1 squadron was wrong - it was set to upgrade to a Dutch plane!
All the others on the list upgrade to the Ventura V. Fixed 1 Squadron RNZAF. Thanks.

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:02 pm
by DuckofTindalos
This link seems to cover all of it.

http://www.defence.gov.au/Raaf/organisa ... istory.htm

(Didn't want to butt in, but JeffK's not on right now...)

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:22 pm
by Halsey
So, what did the range for the Ventura end up being in RHS?
In hexes.[;)]

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 pm
by Andrew Brown
I am no expert on aircraft, but this thread has prompted me to look at the performance of the Ventura. From what I have read about the missions it performed, I think that its range should be increased from its current values, to something more like 29/7/9 max/extended/normal.

Andrew

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:51 am
by JeffroK
ORIGINAL: Terminus

This link seems to cover all of it.

http://www.defence.gov.au/Raaf/organisa ... istory.htm

(Didn't want to butt in, but JeffK's not on right now...)


RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:35 pm
by Halsey
It looks as though the Ventura was one of the aircraft that really got shortchanged in the original data base.

Your figures almost double it's operational capability.
Nice work.[;)]

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:30 pm
by JeffroK
Is the problem that the standard PV-1 was capable of the ranges as shown by the game.

But when lumping around 2 x 115 gal Drop tanks and another 250? gal tank in the bomb bay it had far better range (and far lesser bomb load)

Try fitting the extra fuel and see whether the range then fits your understanding of the range.

RE: PV-1 Ventura

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:03 am
by walkerd
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Hey guys. Just upgraded a RNZAF Hudson squadron to Venturas and was floored by the lack of range. I think we have a specification booboo here.


Image

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but I have been looking around and can not find the art work used for the back drop. Is it available to download anywhere?