Page 1 of 1

Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:28 pm
by kipanderson
Hi,

I am a long time fan of the engine, the high quality of the production, the manual and everything associated with this series of games from Panther Games… however… airborne assaults just do not do the trick for me… side shows [;)]. Its Tank Corps and Panzer Divisions crashing about in the Ukraine that we need[:)].

I know what some are thinking, “not more Eastern Front”. In my defence I would point out that it must now be around five years that Panther games have been knocking out air-assault scenarios with this engine. At first, five years ago, it was a nice change from the mass slaughter of the East but it must now be time to see how the engine plays out where it really mattered, where WWII was decided.

Hoping the next outing will be a major operation in the East, July’44 L’vov operation would do very nicely[:)].

Congratulations on another great game and high quality production… but keeping my figures crossed for a major armoured clash next time round. If you really hate doing the East, how about The Bulge if it has the west again.

All good fun,
All the best,
Kip.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:41 pm
by Crimguy
I'm not stopping them from doing any East front games ;-D

Your dedicated Manstein fanboy,
Matt
ORIGINAL: kipanderson

Hi,

I am a long time fan of the engine, the high quality of the production, the manual and everything associated with this series of games from Panther Games… however… airborne assaults just do not do the trick for me… side shows [;)]. Its Tank Corps and Panzer Divisions crashing about in the Ukraine that we need[:)].

I know what some are thinking, “not more Eastern Front”. In my defence I would point out that it must now be around five years that Panther games have been knocking out air-assault scenarios with this engine. At first, five years ago, it was a nice change from the mass slaughter of the East but it must now be time to see how the engine plays out where it really mattered, where WWII was decided.

Hoping the next outing will be a major operation in the East, July’44 L’vov operation would do very nicely[:)].

Congratulations on another great game and high quality production… but keeping my figures crossed for a major armoured clash next time round. If you really hate doing the East, how about The Bulge if it has the west again.

All good fun,
All the best,
Kip.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:44 pm
by Banquet
Hi Kip,

There are lots of scenario's with these games and they're not all para drops. Admitedly they aren't East front - but I believe there is a data team working on the estabs for the East Front - so there will be a game covering that theatre at some point.

The Bulge should be the next game [:)]

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:55 pm
by pvthudson01
East, July’44 L’vov operation would do very nicely[:)].

ugh no more late war east front scenarios

lets try one that starts at the beginning!

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:02 pm
by Grouchy
ORIGINAL: kipanderson

Its Tank Corps and Panzer Divisions crashing about in the Ukraine that we need[:)].

Congratulations on another great game and high quality production… but keeping my figures crossed for a major armoured clash next time round. If you really hate doing the East, how about The Bulge if it has the west again.

Real man use Italian weenie tanks [;)]

PG will be going west: Battles from the Bulge will be the next one in the series.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:03 pm
by wodin
I too would like early to mid war EF scenarios.

I love the COTA setting myself. Makes a huge change.

The next out is the Bulge followed by Red Star Rising set on the East Front battle for the Chir Valley I believe.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:01 am
by Grotius
Jeesh, I think the setting is one of the best things about this game! I've played countless East Front and Bulge games, but this is my first ever look at the Greece campaign. I'm very glad they made this first.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:07 am
by JeffroK
I would also like to see the East Front given a miss. I would also prefer the Arnnes left alone, but as you are already working on it...
 
There were a myriad of Battles/Campaigns from the earlier years which would make an excellent topic for a good wargame. many of them are ignored because "They dont have enough Tanks"
 
Keep with the battles where strategy & tactics are of more need than brute strength.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:16 am
by JudgeDredd
I have to say I wasn't a fan of the area...I wasn't that intrested in the Greek campaign (sorry greek lads) but it has turned out to be very exciting. I think the scenarios are very well laid out (at least the two I've played have been). Also, it seems that the geographical features permit choke points which I like a lot.
 
I'm into this one in a big way...I decided to play the tutorial as the Germans and it's very difficult...you do not have a lot to hold the objectives with, let alone hold up the allies and it's turning out to be a great challenge.
 
I am seeing some strange things with paths, though...so I keep meaning to write them up and send a saved game, but I'm always too busy playing the damn thing!

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:19 pm
by Crimguy
I agree. I'm finding it pretty interesting. But for me, I was getting ready to shoot myself in Market Garden. 5 years of it is a bit much.

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I have to say I wasn't a fan of the area...I wasn't that intrested in the Greek campaign (sorry greek lads) but it has turned out to be very exciting. I think the scenarios are very well laid out (at least the two I've played have been). Also, it seems that the geographical features permit choke points which I like a lot.

I'm into this one in a big way...I decided to play the tutorial as the Germans and it's very difficult...you do not have a lot to hold the objectives with, let alone hold up the allies and it's turning out to be a great challenge.

I am seeing some strange things with paths, though...so I keep meaning to write them up and send a saved game, but I'm always too busy playing the damn thing!

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:30 pm
by jhdeerslayer
Totally refreshing the choice of Greece in my opinion. Seems like I've been gaming B of Bulge. D-Day, Holland for 30 years which I think I have....

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:31 pm
by captskillet
Oh I'll definately look at the Bulge when it comes out even though there is a 'Bulge' scenario (Well its just the 101st at Bastonge, but aint that the Bulge in a nutshell [;)]) already for HTTR...........now the Chir river stuff looks great, anyone interested in a jump start can read up on it by checking out von Mellenthins' Panzer Battles and I think Mansteins book covers this also. The one I really cant wait for is the 'Canal & New Guinea........... 'Bloody Ridge' on the Canal should be .............BLOODY INDEED! [:D] [;)]

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:59 pm
by simovitch
ORIGINAL: captskillet

even though there is a 'Bulge' scenario (Well its just the 101st at Bastonge, but aint that the Bulge in a nutshell [;)]) already for HTTR...........

I did another Bulge scenario for HTTR covering the 116th "Greyhound" division advance to Hotton. Available here: Airborne depot

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:21 pm
by captskillet
tks simovitch...........went and got it! [;)]

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:55 pm
by Montrose
The setting is EXACTLY the reason why I bought this excellent game.

Well done Panther for giving us something refreshing!

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:12 am
by wodin
Cant find that bulge scenario!

Whoops I thought you'd just finished another one but its the same one I already have.

RE: Stunning engine… shame about the setting ;)

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:17 pm
by steed
I find that playing lesser known campaigns/operations makes this wargame less "gamey"

Sure eastern front ops are epic and mighty , but i really do feel not knowing the full background of a campaign or op really makes the gamke more fun.