Page 1 of 1
Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:01 pm
by AbsntMndedProf
What unit(s) make you wonder what on Earth were their designers thinking when they threw them together?
Eric Maietta
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:08 pm
by 11Bravo
Headquarters.
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:26 pm
by Whitmire
Tatchanka. They used to be immensely deadly and cost only 13 points... (That was before I switched to H2H.) They had the morale of a tank, moved as fast as Cossacks and had the firepower of a set-up MG. They could also survive a lot of small arms fire. Surely an MG bolted on a cart can't be that deadly or it would have been the super weapon of WWII!
And who can forget the 4-point lend-lease Jeeps and 15-Point Ho-Has (Japanese half-tracks with AAMGs)? But apart from their low cost, there's nothing especially tricky about them.
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:49 pm
by AbsntMndedProf
ORIGINAL: AbsntMndedProf
What unit(s) make you wonder what on Earth were their designers thinking when they threw them together?
Eric Maietta
Perhaps I need to be more specific. I meant RW unit/weapon designers, as opposed to game designers.
Eric Maietta
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 pm
by 11Bravo
I'm sticking to my answer.
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:44 pm
by Svennemir
Tsar tank!
That, and the Volkssturm. (shudders)
(edit: now with link)
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:36 pm
by Twotribes
ORIGINAL: Svennemir
Tsar tank!
That, and the Volkssturm. (shudders)
(edit: now with link)
The tank had a purpose. If it had been properly designed it made perfect sense for WWI and the trenches that develeped on the Western Front. Though I am not sure how many trenches were made on the eastern Front.
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:13 am
by KG Erwin
I've got a Marine Paratroop Squad whose primary weapon is the .45 cal Reising SMG. To cap it all, these guys were used as ground troops during the initial landings at Gavutu/Tanambogo, and were later transported to Guadalcanal. They fought alongside Edson's Raiders at Bloody Ridge.
The only thing that saves them is that they are rated as elite airborne, which was their intended role. They were never used as such.
This is one of the few times I can blame the Marine brass for misusing men in this fashion.
For more information, see this article :
http://www.nps.gov/wapa/indepth/extCont ... /index.htm
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:21 am
by Twotribes
In the jungle fighting at Guadalcanal the SMG would work just fine.
RE: Units that Make You go Huh?
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:43 am
by KG Erwin
ORIGINAL: Twotribes
In the jungle fighting at Guadalcanal the SMG would work just fine.
Oh, jeez, I don't wanna hijack this thread, so Ill revisit an earlier one I started, OK?