Page 1 of 1
Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:10 pm
by scott64
I am starting a new PBEM and trying to streamline my a/c for Japan. A few questions. Which recons should I keep? How about transports? The Thora and Hickory both got axed. The other four, I will probably keep 2 models. Any suggestions?
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:31 pm
by Onime No Kyo
Both services have Dakota ripoffs. Keep those. For recons, I like the Dinah for IJA and the Emily for the IJN.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:39 am
by FeurerKrieg
Transports:
Army: MC-21 Sally
Navy: L3Y for long range, Mavis Transport for area with no airbase, but mostly use L2D2 it has big capacity (it was Dakota design built in Japan).
Recon - Army: Dinah
Navy: Think you only have one choice here, the C5M.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 am
by John 3rd
I REALLY like the Tina's! They have a huge range (21) and are pretty reliable. I bump their production up so I can replace my Thora's and also keep the Mavis's going at a more limited pace.
Agree with the note above on Army Transports.
Good luck on the new campaign!
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:34 pm
by Hoplosternum
ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
Transports:
Army: MC-21 Sally
Navy: L3Y for long range, Mavis Transport for area with no airbase, but mostly use L2D2 it has big capacity (it was Dakota design built in Japan).
Recon - Army: Dinah
Navy: Think you only have one choice here, the C5M.
Do the Mavis Transports work at zero air bases? I thought that because they were 'Transport' class aircraft, not 'Patrol' class they could not land or deliver at zero airbases? Meaning that the Mavis itself is far more flexible, although sadly not an option [:)] Of course even without it's flying boat advantages it's still long ranged and has a big capacity.
I tend to keep a few of each sort (except the very short ranged Hickory, Thora and the Ida). I like the Theresa as it reminds me of the good early days when it helps airlift a lot of stuff in the SRA conquests [:)] Sadly you can't build any more as the factories upgrade to the adject Hickorys.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:15 am
by Onime No Kyo
ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
Navy: L3Y for long range,
Range is impressive, for sure, but there a bit of a lightweight. To be honest, the only way I have used transports is organizing mass airlifts. In such situations, I think Dakotas (or their foreign-made brethren) provide the best balance of range and capacity.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:33 am
by Arstavidios
depends on what you want to do.
Mavis is a great plane for the navy with a good range and the ability to take troops in and out of any coastal base.
Don't forget all your Patrol aircraft are also transports

the tabby (jap dakota) has agood capacity but needs airbases
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:33 pm
by Onime No Kyo
Well I mostly do supply transport. You need lift capacity for that. I assume seacoast bases means inserting scout teams, for which I prefer to use subs.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:30 pm
by RUPD3658
A fleet of 100 Tinas will force the Allies to garrison every base within 20 hexes or risk and airdrop. Against empty bases their lack of lift capactity is not too important.
I used Tinas to take Burma though airdrops in Dec 41. Burma road was cut within 2 weeks of the start of the war.
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 pm
by janushm
usually i change most of them to c47 clones, but i keep 3 or four squads flying tina's....... like they said before..... range!
RE: Jap Recon and Transports
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:05 am
by FeurerKrieg
Yup, my post was just that there isn't a clear winner in the Naval transport list. I favor the L2D2 the longer things go on since more and more areas have airstrips constucted, and they have a great lift capacity for either supplying, or evacuating units.
The L3Y is great for deep para strikes though.
Mavis transport - if forgot about that bug with it being transport, but I think it can BASE in a zero airfield base and still do transport activities at least.