Page 1 of 1

Aircraft vs Infantry?

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:37 am
by Dragoon 45
When playing with aircraft, I have been constantly frustrated in trying to get aircraft to deliberately target infantry formations. It seems that aircraft have two targeting priorities in the Game and no others, first they go after vehicles with tanks at the top of the list, and then go after artillery/forts as the next priority. It is impossible to get them to target infantry; even infantry in the open, moving.

Is this a code issue?

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:00 pm
by azraelck
Hmm. While I don't use aircraft myself, I have never seemed to have a problem having aircraft target my infantry, and wipe out whole companies while doing so. Early on, when I first started playing SP WaW, I massed my infantry together, and found out the hard way not to do so. Vichy French planes left me with 2 weakened squads, out of two companies of US Army Rangers. Enemy fortifications, infantry, and guns left me with 2 Shermans, 1 Halftrack, and my AO.

It is their effectiveness that caused me to not use them. The AI isn't overly good (or wasn't, until Advanced) and Aircraft, when 99% they won't bother picking any, is almost cheating.

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14 pm
by Don Doom
If I remember correctly it's targets as follows:
1]trucks
2]tanks
3]AC
4]inf

If all it see's is inf then it will attack them, but if it sees either tanks,ac's, or trucks it will attack them instead even if it is it's own side!!

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:49 pm
by pbhawkin1
Having just suffered a pbem game against an opponent who had 4 Hs 129 ground attack aircraft it was interesting watching the dialog box show what the aircraft was targeting as it flew in.
It certainly targeted HIS tanks first (I had none left) then changed to my arty (including AA guns). When I had no arty left it tageted his tanks and didn't target my infantry (although I really only had crews on the board at this stage!)

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:00 am
by FlashfyreSP
The basic answer to this is, Yes, it is a code issue. One that has plagued the game since the early days.