Struggling to get to grips....
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 am
Hi Everybody,
OK, so this is my first post and I hope I don't sound too stupid - though given that I have what some folk would consider basic questions, I probably will.
I've only been playing WITP for a few days (though have managed to rack up 24+ hours of game time whilst making substantial withdrawals from my "relationship bank account" - thank god for Big Brother (in the UK) at the moment or I think my girlfriend would have binned me off already!!) and have struggled on a few things that I'd like to seek some advice from experienced players on, just to get me through this learning period more quickly. By the way, I have read the manual and searched the board so I think I have taken on a fair chunk of information anyway.
Question One. The thing I like about WITP is the size and the detail. I'm really struggling though to think at the right strategic level. I can conceptualise what I want to achieve (e.g. hold a temporary line at this point but start building a better defensive line between points A, B and C) but I struggle to implement this strategically because I start micromanaging and then tinkering. What I'm struggling with is, I think, the Order of Battle. I know I have HQ units (e.g. in my current, starter scenario there is Southeast Asia command and I have the Malay Army HQ) but I can't work out what units are associated with this HQ so that I keep them near to get command benefits / avoid penalties. Simiarly with the RAF units. I seem to have several RAF units and several HQs (I think) but I'm not sure who should stack up under where. When going through the history on this board and looking for "Order of Battle" I can see people planning campaigns and making reference to Group II, Group III and Group IV etc where it looks like they've grouped units. Is this just a "conceptual" grouping not actually supported with the game of am I missing something? Generally, any tips on better organising myself to avoid micromanaging would be greatly appreciated - though I do like a bit of micromanagement at times! Moving umpteen units though, I'd like to be a bit more macro....
Question Two. I'll kick myself when I get the answer. I'm losing tons of ships when trying to evacuate / relocate troops. Essentially, I want a TF to head to a location and pick up troops and then come back. What happens is that the TF gets to its objectives and then comes straight back so, again, I get bogged down in micromanagement. I suppose that this is better than the poor guys sitting at the port with enemy troops on all sides and bombs raining on their heads watching as the ships come into port and then bugger off without them. It takes me a while to actually get the ship into port and, invariably, the TF gets spotted and despatched fairly quickly by some well aimed torpedoes. Where am I going wrong?
Question Three. I'm rubbish at recon. Period. When I make a defensive stand, I can't determine the make up of the attacking force (other than info from combat reports) and so can't decide whether fight or flight is the best approach. When I do counter-attack, I can't determine any degree of effectiveness. i.e. I want to know if I'm doing any damage. I have the right recon missions being flown so I'm guessing that my recon capability is pretty weak.....thought?
Basics - I'm sorry - but any help through this frustrating (but essential) "learning" period would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.
OK, so this is my first post and I hope I don't sound too stupid - though given that I have what some folk would consider basic questions, I probably will.
I've only been playing WITP for a few days (though have managed to rack up 24+ hours of game time whilst making substantial withdrawals from my "relationship bank account" - thank god for Big Brother (in the UK) at the moment or I think my girlfriend would have binned me off already!!) and have struggled on a few things that I'd like to seek some advice from experienced players on, just to get me through this learning period more quickly. By the way, I have read the manual and searched the board so I think I have taken on a fair chunk of information anyway.
Question One. The thing I like about WITP is the size and the detail. I'm really struggling though to think at the right strategic level. I can conceptualise what I want to achieve (e.g. hold a temporary line at this point but start building a better defensive line between points A, B and C) but I struggle to implement this strategically because I start micromanaging and then tinkering. What I'm struggling with is, I think, the Order of Battle. I know I have HQ units (e.g. in my current, starter scenario there is Southeast Asia command and I have the Malay Army HQ) but I can't work out what units are associated with this HQ so that I keep them near to get command benefits / avoid penalties. Simiarly with the RAF units. I seem to have several RAF units and several HQs (I think) but I'm not sure who should stack up under where. When going through the history on this board and looking for "Order of Battle" I can see people planning campaigns and making reference to Group II, Group III and Group IV etc where it looks like they've grouped units. Is this just a "conceptual" grouping not actually supported with the game of am I missing something? Generally, any tips on better organising myself to avoid micromanaging would be greatly appreciated - though I do like a bit of micromanagement at times! Moving umpteen units though, I'd like to be a bit more macro....
Question Two. I'll kick myself when I get the answer. I'm losing tons of ships when trying to evacuate / relocate troops. Essentially, I want a TF to head to a location and pick up troops and then come back. What happens is that the TF gets to its objectives and then comes straight back so, again, I get bogged down in micromanagement. I suppose that this is better than the poor guys sitting at the port with enemy troops on all sides and bombs raining on their heads watching as the ships come into port and then bugger off without them. It takes me a while to actually get the ship into port and, invariably, the TF gets spotted and despatched fairly quickly by some well aimed torpedoes. Where am I going wrong?
Question Three. I'm rubbish at recon. Period. When I make a defensive stand, I can't determine the make up of the attacking force (other than info from combat reports) and so can't decide whether fight or flight is the best approach. When I do counter-attack, I can't determine any degree of effectiveness. i.e. I want to know if I'm doing any damage. I have the right recon missions being flown so I'm guessing that my recon capability is pretty weak.....thought?
Basics - I'm sorry - but any help through this frustrating (but essential) "learning" period would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all.