Page 1 of 1

New to series - which game to get first?

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2026 11:10 pm
by GoldenTalon
Looking at all the options and it's a bit confusing. Can players offer suggestions on which game to try out first?

Thanks!

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 3:56 am
by stormbringer3
I have both games and I'd start with War in Europe. You learn the system and all the basics. World at War is more complicated because there are a lot more invasions you must learn how to accomplish and the naval war is more involved than WiE. I started with WiE and I'm glad that I did. Also, there are some excellent MODS for it.

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2026 1:37 pm
by GoldenTalon
stormbringer3 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 3:56 am I have both games and I'd start with War in Europe. You learn the system and all the basics. World at War is more complicated because there are a lot more invasions you must learn how to accomplish and the naval war is more involved than WiE. I started with WiE and I'm glad that I did. Also, there are some excellent MODS for it.
WIE it is

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2026 12:29 am
by Jack59
I agree. I have all 5 games. Play the Germans and watch how the USSR attacks your troops. If you are American, the Civil War game has a fair AI.

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:41 am
by Duedman
Yeah WiE
I also think it is still the best overall

WW1 and ACW are good fun but tactically limited since there are no real tanks and planes.
WaW has less downtimes than WiE (Marching from Poland to France and then from France to Russia) because Japan is already active in China.
It really is grand strategy.
But to me, the scale of the map is too small.
The worst is the island hopping in the pacific. Nearly no tactics involved there at all. I mean the game is not called Tactical Command for a reason, I know.
But the bigger map in WiE really allows the the pretty solid tactical layer to shine
So to put it all together it is WiE for me