New to series - which game to get first?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Post Reply
GoldenTalon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2026 11:05 pm

New to series - which game to get first?

Post by GoldenTalon »

Looking at all the options and it's a bit confusing. Can players offer suggestions on which game to try out first?

Thanks!
stormbringer3
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: Staunton, Va.

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Post by stormbringer3 »

I have both games and I'd start with War in Europe. You learn the system and all the basics. World at War is more complicated because there are a lot more invasions you must learn how to accomplish and the naval war is more involved than WiE. I started with WiE and I'm glad that I did. Also, there are some excellent MODS for it.
GoldenTalon
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2026 11:05 pm

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Post by GoldenTalon »

stormbringer3 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 3:56 am I have both games and I'd start with War in Europe. You learn the system and all the basics. World at War is more complicated because there are a lot more invasions you must learn how to accomplish and the naval war is more involved than WiE. I started with WiE and I'm glad that I did. Also, there are some excellent MODS for it.
WIE it is
Last edited by GoldenTalon on Thu Aug 20, 2026 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack59
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Post by Jack59 »

I agree. I have all 5 games. Play the Germans and watch how the USSR attacks your troops. If you are American, the Civil War game has a fair AI.
Duedman
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:36 pm

Re: New to series - which game to get first?

Post by Duedman »

Yeah WiE
I also think it is still the best overall

WW1 and ACW are good fun but tactically limited since there are no real tanks and planes.
WaW has less downtimes than WiE (Marching from Poland to France and then from France to Russia) because Japan is already active in China.
It really is grand strategy.
But to me, the scale of the map is too small.
The worst is the island hopping in the pacific. Nearly no tactics involved there at all. I mean the game is not called Tactical Command for a reason, I know.
But the bigger map in WiE really allows the the pretty solid tactical layer to shine
So to put it all together it is WiE for me
Post Reply

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”