Search found 148 matches

by Alamander
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)
Replies: 70
Views: 4656

RE: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: Lowpe<br/>
<br/>
You ask a lot! Statesmanship would interfere with their economic self interest.<br/>

<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
This is sort of my point with regard to the Dulles brothers and their legacy at CIA and the State Department. They ...
by Alamander
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 am
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)
Replies: 70
Views: 4656

RE: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: Alfred<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
IIRC, Kissinger's doctoral thesis, and if it wasn't that, it was certainly the theme of his main scholarly book (which I read so many years ago I've forgotten its title[:)]) was the interplay of an uneven number of Great Powers. Which ...
by Alamander
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:49 am
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)
Replies: 70
Views: 4656

RE: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
I think garrison is the wrong word for it because it denotes passivity. The idea is still to have a powerful and flexible USMC that is highly proficient in network centric warfare. It's just that the focus is increasingly on a ...
by Alamander
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:33 am
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)
Replies: 70
Views: 4656

RE: OT:USMC junks their tanks (smart breath edition)

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101<br/>
<br/>
A few points to highlight on the USMC shift:<br/>
<br/>
1) This is not without institutional resistance and the USMC leadership as a whole is not entirely aligned on the process. Yes the tanks will likely go but the future operational ...
by Alamander
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<r>
<QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: Ian R<br/>
<br/>

<QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: Alamander<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
Sounds like your clever ploy bagged a follow up TF with a base force on board.<br/>
<br/>
You might want to lower the volume on the self congratulation here. I am starting to like ...
by Alamander
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 am
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: BBfanboy<br/>
<br/>
As I understand it, the game does not allow land-based artillery to fire against bombarding ships unless it is a Coast Defence/Naval Fort unit or has DP guns. Standard artillery will not return suppressing fire, but will fire at landing troops ...
by Alamander
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:19 am
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<t> Oh... it was no decoy. It was moving south from Ceylon to link up with what appeared to be 2 other divisions, at least 2 heavy SAG/bombardments groups, including serious BBs, such as Colorado, what I suspect was a group of AOs, and at least 1, probably more CV TFs. It was pretty well ...
by Alamander
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:08 am
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<t> I guess I have to agree that if you are going to land at spot with a coastal fortress with heavy guns, such as Truk, BBs embedded in the amphibious group are helpful when combined with other BBs doing standard bombardment missions to bring to bear as much firepower as possible while also using ...
by Alamander
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 pm
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: BBfanboy<br/>
You need to plan for the BBs using up most of their ammo on the first turn of landing. If I expect the landings to go on for more than one turn, I have another set of BBs or CAs to swap into the landing force and remove the low ammo BBs to go back ...
by Alamander
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:09 pm
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: RangerJoe<br/>
<br/>
Too many Allies want to counterattack too soon. Especially with the Indian and Commonwealth forces.
<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
There are far more units present in the Western theater than Indian and Commonwealth forces. There is a large ...
by Alamander
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: Allied sweep whining
Replies: 70
Views: 3924

RE: Allied sweep whining

<r> <QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot<br/>
<br/>
In light of all of this discussion on CAPs what is the rationale for the sometimes used house rule re use of higher altitude bands? My opponent and I decided we better use that rule....is that a fool's errand?
<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE ...
by Alamander
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 pm
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<t> The date is November 7th, 1942.<br/>
<br/>
I'm not convinced that the CV group nearby contained only British CVs. I have a strong suspicion that U.S. CVs may have been there as well: possibly all of them. I am not sure, and this is pure speculation on my part. He may well have been thinking ...
by Alamander
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:36 pm
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<t> The point that I am trying to make, I think, is that BBs in amphibious groups, in my opinion, especially these R-class BBs with almost no AA package, offer nothing to the group, extract little from attackers, and are simply big floating targets which ensure that even non-aggressive CV commanders ...
by Alamander
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:20 pm
Forum: The War Room
Topic: The R's
Replies: 85
Views: 3908

RE: The R's

<r> One of the R's in action in my game against Mike, serving, I think, as an amphibious escort. These ships really aren't very helpful for most things. I suppose if you can bring them to bear 2 v. 1 against an isolated Japanese BB in narrow straits, they can be effective, given the quality of crew ...
by Alamander
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: Allied sweep whining
Replies: 70
Views: 3924

RE: Allied sweep whining

<t> As the Japanese, you should have a variety of planes. Many of your planes tend to be more maneuverable though less armed (and often slower) than their American counterparts. You depend upon maneuverability to survive dogfights. Pay close attention to the combat reports. What is the detection ...
by Alamander
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Forum: War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition
Topic: Low CAP vs High SWEEPS test #1
Replies: 223
Views: 10371

RE: Low CAP vs High SWEEPS test #1

wrong thread.
by Alamander
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Forum: Tech Support
Topic: R&D and Production bug
Replies: 14
Views: 737

RE: R&D and Production bug

<r>
<QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: jdsrae<br/>
<br/>
Well, fingers are crossed for you that it resolves itself, but I have 2 shellbits ready for collection if it doesn’t!
<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
<br/>
No need. It eventually did resolve itself and the factory converted to producing ...
by Alamander
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:54 pm
Forum: Tech Support
Topic: R&D and Production bug
Replies: 14
Views: 737

RE: R&D and Production bug

<r>
<QUOTE><s>[quote]</s>ORIGINAL: jdsrae<br/>
<br/>
If you check via the Int screen, aircraft/engines area does it show you’ve built 1x Kawasaki engine?<br/>
I’ll bet 2 South Pacific Shellbits that it changes to white tomorrow.
<e>[/quote]</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
No engines were produced on Nov ...
by Alamander
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm
Forum: Tech Support
Topic: R&D and Production bug
Replies: 14
Views: 737

RE: R&D and Production bug

<t> I am fairly certain that I have seen R&D factories sit at 100% for more than 1 day and models remain in the R&D tree during this time, probably as the result of some failed RNG, but I have never seen a factory go from 100% to 1% and continue to produce R&D after the model has entered production ...

Go to advanced search