Search found 8 matches

by Narlotep
Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:36 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: Reisen A6m
Replies: 3
Views: 146

<t>Having just finished Bergerud's book on South Pacific air ops... <br/>
<br/>
He commented that the Zero was extremely manouverable but only at low to medium altitudes. It was also very vulnerable when hit as it had no armor, was of light construction, and had no self-sealing fuel tanks. So, if ...
by Narlotep
Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:44 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: Bombardments Again!
Replies: 30
Views: 709

<t>Didz,<br/>
<br/>
Exactly my point. What your sources describe is accurate, but deliver operational and planning intelligence support. The problem with the tactical scenario you describe in your first post is timeliness. The ability of the SIGINT apparatus to disseminate such information in time ...
by Narlotep
Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:01 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: Bombardments Again!
Replies: 30
Views: 709

SIGINT

<r>Didz,<br/>
<br/>
<I><s>[I]</s>and that as at Guadacanal the intelligence units had the IJN codes and were intercepting the IJN radio traffic and so would know exactly what was inbound. <e>[/I]</e></I> <br/>
<br/>
That would have been very nice, but most tactical SIGINT was traffic analysis, i.e ...
by Narlotep
Thu May 30, 2002 4:25 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: Routine Convoys picking up TROOPS?
Replies: 10
Views: 496

CS has same problems

<t>I,<br/>
<br/>
Nope, I posted on the bug board that I had a CS convoy set between Noumea and Luganville. Worked for several turns, then the TF commander added all the APDs and parts of 1st Marine Div. It took them on a glory ride halfway across the Coral Sea, heading to Cooksville, before I caught ...
by Narlotep
Wed May 29, 2002 6:32 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: If you only get two books...
Replies: 11
Views: 424

If you only get two books...

<t>...get Eric Bergerud's "Touched by Fire" and "Fire in the Sky". <br/>
<br/>
This is a shameless plug for his works on ground and air combat in the South Pacific, Spring 1942- Winter 1943.<br/>
<br/>
Both cover exactly the time period and geographic areas in UV. Unlike the countless other books I ...
by Narlotep
Tue May 28, 2002 4:01 pm
Forum: Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific
Topic: Game versus Re-creation -the Gili Gili debate
Replies: 9
Views: 313

<t>IChristie,<br/>
<br/>
Except that in the July '42 Campaign the Japs hit GG within the first week. Historically, the Australians had already moved an AIF BDE, Base Unit, and fighters into GG before the Japs showed up in August. In the current campaign there is no way to do this in time other than ...
by Narlotep
Mon May 27, 2002 5:21 pm
Forum: Tech Support
Topic: Gung Ho Auto-Transports
Replies: 2
Views: 192

Gung Ho Auto-Transports

<t>Playing Jun 42-Dec 43 Campaign.<br/>
<br/>
I had set up a single AK with escorts as a computer-controlled routine convoy from Noumea to Luganville on the first turn. This convoy continued normal ops until I noticed in the second week of July 1942, it had decided to add several APs and board the ...
by Narlotep
Thu Jan 04, 2001 7:13 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: "Into the Shadows Furious"
Replies: 12
Views: 455

"Into the Shadows Furious"

<t>Having just finished this excellent account of the little known struggle for New Georgia, I am glad you are focusing on the Solomons and New Guinea campaigns. I had forgotten how many other struggles besides Guadalcanal occurred in the region. I look forward to "watching" the development progress ...

Go to advanced search