Will it really cost that much?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Post by bradfordkay »

"Being the younger, of course I was always the Germans, Japanese, Confederates, North Koreans and Communist Chinese. I'm grateful to the computer AI for allowing me to try out the "good guys" side finally. "

Ron, I see that at least ONCE you go to be the "good guys"...

sorry,
ex-patriate Confederate...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Originally posted by Snigbert
The thing that is difficult about being an old-school board gamer is finding opponents. I have lots of old AH games (Midway, D-Day, Flat Top, Stalingrad, Afrika Korps, War at Sea, Bismarck, Victory in the Pacific, Battle of the Bulge, Guadalcanal, etc) but they are sitting on a shelf collecting dust because I haven't found another gamer other than my dad. Unfortunately my dad doesn't play anymore because he has PTSD from Vietnam and military things like that bother him these days.


I'll be you could find a club of board wargamers tucked away somewhere in your area if you figured out some effective way of looking, say on the Internet or via the local newspaper. The Northeast has always had a pretty good concentration of us smelly old f@rts.

You never know when an old AH player will pop up. I bought an old, unpunched copy of Blitzkrieg on eBay to salt away for collector purposes and came to discover I was doing business with a "K. Combs." I inquired and, sure enough, this was the legendary guy who topped the AREA PBM standings for so many years. It was really nice to meet him. Another time, I bought something or other (can't remember what) and the seller was a woman whose last name was "Dott." She was, indeed, a member of the Dott family of AH fame, selling off some extra copies that had been cluttering up the attic for a number of years.

It IS a shame that these games are mostly collector's items anymore, although my unpunched copy of The Longest Day I bought in the early eighties for 65 bucks would now go for close to 300 on eBay, which is nice. The reward for my version of misspent youth.

I hope your dad is getting proper care for his PTSD and social support for his sacrifices on behalf of his country. You can't trust the VA anymore, and there are too many vets out there who are trying to cope but just get lonelier and more isolated. Tell him for me that everybody else who was incountry cares for and respects him. Tell him "GI numbah one, Colt 45 numbah 10."
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Leahi
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:59 am
Location: Far West

Post by Leahi »

Bradfordkay: Apologies. Actually, even against the computer I prefer to play the Confederates at "Gettysburgh." I spent three years in Georgia in the Army and loved it down there. My branch of the family comes from Tennessee, and from there to Texas, on my father's side. Mother's side generally Yankees, though.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”