The Movie Troy

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
tiredoftryingnames
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

RE: The Movie Troy

Post by tiredoftryingnames »

I went and saw this over the weekend. Great movie. The person that told me there was alot of matrix flipping around in the fighting must have saw a different troy movie or they are just a complete idiot. i thought the fighting was well done. Achilles uses his speed to rush and jump into the air some to bring a forceful blow upon his enemy. He jumped no higher than an average man could. I think what might throw people is the camera angle, to add a dramatic touch, is from the ground so maybe people think he's flying through the air above people's heads.
Image
User avatar
Von Rom
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am

RE: The Movie Troy

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

I went and saw this over the weekend. Great movie. The person that told me there was alot of matrix flipping around in the fighting must have saw a different troy movie or they are just a complete idiot. i thought the fighting was well done. Achilles uses his speed to rush and jump into the air some to bring a forceful blow upon his enemy. He jumped no higher than an average man could. I think what might throw people is the camera angle, to add a dramatic touch, is from the ground so maybe people think he's flying through the air above people's heads.

That is the problem with reading reviews, etc. . .

I learned long ago to judge things on their merits. I'm looking forward to the DVD of the movie :)
User avatar
Rune Iversen
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Copenhagen. Denmark
Contact:

RE: The Movie Troy

Post by Rune Iversen »

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

I went and saw this over the weekend. Great movie. The person that told me there was alot of matrix flipping around in the fighting must have saw a different troy movie or they are just a complete idiot. i thought the fighting was well done. Achilles uses his speed to rush and jump into the air some to bring a forceful blow upon his enemy. He jumped no higher than an average man could. I think what might throw people is the camera angle, to add a dramatic touch, is from the ground so maybe people think he's flying through the air above people's heads.

It lies in the nature of "Homeric Warfare" that it´s partcipant "Heros" are able to do things just a lttle bit out of the ordinary (though not flippantly so). Otherwise it just wouldn´t be "Homeric" nor heroic.
Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within
User avatar
Von Rom
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am

RE: The Movie Troy

Post by Von Rom »

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen
ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

I went and saw this over the weekend. Great movie. The person that told me there was alot of matrix flipping around in the fighting must have saw a different troy movie or they are just a complete idiot. i thought the fighting was well done. Achilles uses his speed to rush and jump into the air some to bring a forceful blow upon his enemy. He jumped no higher than an average man could. I think what might throw people is the camera angle, to add a dramatic touch, is from the ground so maybe people think he's flying through the air above people's heads.

It lies in the nature of "Homeric Warfare" that it´s partcipant "Heros" are able to do things just a lttle bit out of the ordinary (though not flippantly so). Otherwise it just wouldn´t be "Homeric" nor heroic.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing.

The "Illiad" is full of the Gods' participation in the war, and while Petersen steered away from this aspect of it, he does imbue Achilles with a certain "Uber-human" quality. . .
User avatar
Mangudai
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: The Middle West

RE: The Movie Troy

Post by Mangudai »

I just saw the movie and I thought it was very good. The acting was specacular and the screenplay was smooth and believable. In addition to Sean Bean, I'm going to remember Eric Bana (Hector) he was also in Blackhawk Down. I thought Achilles' (Brad Pitt) fighting style was perfectly suited to the character. He did some silly things like holding his shield behind his head, but overall it was very realistic. The infantry clashes looked about like what I expected. I also agree that this is one of the best anti-war movies ever, without any annoying political messages.

I wasn't upset by the differences between the film and the Illiad, and I didn't catch the llamas. The only thing that bothered me was that the greeks camped on the bottom of a hill without any defense or sentries on top. That was just too stupid to believe. Still, most movies are a lot worse at getting the tactics right. Usually hollywood has both armies charge frontally in a loose formation. I think Braveheart would have been better if it showed the clever tactics William Wallace actually used. At the Firth of Forth he let half the enemy cross then attacked. At Sterling he used a circular formations to counter flanking or envelopment (not arrows). I thought in LOTR at the black gates they used circular formations as well. I love LOTR, but the cavalry charges at Helms Deep made me want to puke. I think it would look cool if movies had zoomouts with cgi which actually showed some intelligible strategy. Troy was much better in this regard. In the biggest battle, the trojan infantry held the greeks in a position where they were vulnerable to arrow fire from the walls, then the trojans saved a special company of shock troops for the moment when the greeks lost momentum. In another scene the greeks used a wedge formation which was a nice touch. I sure hope Alexander shows some strategy. Hollywood has gradually gotten better at depicting realistic fighting styles, it's about time they pay attention to strategy.

<EDIT> One other flaw was Orlando Bloom's (Paris) archery. He always made a goofy jerk with his body when he released an arrow. In real life this would blow your accuracy to hell. I remember Legolas being perfectly smooth, I'll look carefully at this the next time I watch LOTR.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”