
OT Bull Run & GB pics
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
The Cyclorama is on the right. It is no longer in use (that I know of) but it's still there.


- Attachments
-
- a9g.jpg (490.47 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
That's George Meade in the center of the pic, now if you ask me if he was ever on a horse in this location I'd have to say [&:]


- Attachments
-
- a9h.jpg (452.17 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
Now, as you may have noticed, the shadows are getting long and I'm running out of time. The panoramas I've taken were generally using a tripod with a swivel, which helped the pics stay on the same plane, and also made it easier for me to take compass readings. Here though, I'm hurrying. This shot you can see is in G. Meade's shadow, and my intent is to give some idea of Cemetary Hill and Ridge behind the action at the Angle. In the first shot I was able to note that the Nat. Obs. Tower is at 50 degrees.
edit: I reviewed the location of the NOT and Cemetary Hill is entirely north (to the left) of it, so you can't see that here. Cemetary Ridge is visible and continues in the next pic or two.

edit: I reviewed the location of the NOT and Cemetary Hill is entirely north (to the left) of it, so you can't see that here. Cemetary Ridge is visible and continues in the next pic or two.

- Attachments
-
- a9ha.jpg (460.45 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
This is a pan right to roughly the ESE


- Attachments
-
- a9i.jpg (475.09 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
and South
You can see Round Top on the right

This concludes the survey from the first day of my visit to Gettysburg. The next day will begin on the Culp's Hill observation tower. But no wonder the Battle took three days, I've only barely covered half of it and I'm exhausted.
You can see Round Top on the right

This concludes the survey from the first day of my visit to Gettysburg. The next day will begin on the Culp's Hill observation tower. But no wonder the Battle took three days, I've only barely covered half of it and I'm exhausted.
- Attachments
-
- a9k.jpg (469.75 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
Sorry, I just skipped one. This one looking to the SSE


- Attachments
-
- a9j.jpg (471.02 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
A general comment about the park, there are many fewer markers for the Confederates and only a handful of monuments, and these are much less extravagant than the Union ones, and they're mostly in places where little or no fighting occurred. I'm not real interested in monuments in any case, but there seems to be some real inequality there and I don't know what the story behind that is, but if the Southern States would like to memorialize their troops at places like "the Angle" and Little Round Top etc., I would hope they be allowed to, even encouraged to.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
The morning of the next day I had to wait some time for the fog to lift. Once that was out of the way I began from up on the Culp's Hill observation tower. Today, for some reason, I dispensed with the tripod and did my pans freehand. Also I didn't take compass bearings except to occasionally note the bearing of a particular landmark. Nevertheless, it's usually fairly clear what direction the camera is pointed, approximately. In the first pic you can see Round Top in the center, and the Pennsylvania monument on the right.


- Attachments
-
- ct1.jpg (438.35 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
Before I show the next pic, I think it's important to establish the exact location of the Gettysburg National Tower; which was East of the Taneytown Rd., North of Hunt Ave. and South of Cemetary Hill. The red arrow points to the spot, and you can see Google Maps labels the location, even though the tower was demolished 13 years ago.


- Attachments
-
- gntloc.jpg (459.61 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
This pic is a pan right from the last pic, and you can see the Vermont monument center left and the tower in the center, and you can make out some of Cemetary Hill on the right.


- Attachments
-
- ct2.jpg (478 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
In the center here, you can see the New York monument behind the Evergreen Cemetary Gate House in the center, and some of the cemetary to the left.


- Attachments
-
- ct3.jpg (479.71 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Bull Run & GB pics
Here you can see the older part of Gettysburg, though some of the buildings are clearly more modern, and you can see monuments in the distance beyond (there are quite a few out there) here and in the next couple of pics. I've got a pretty good idea which one it is on one of the monuments, but it's very difficult to tell for sure on any of them.
edit: I forgot to mention, center left you can see the top of the Lutheran Seminary (on Seminary Ridge) with its cuppola, to the right of it you can see the spire of the Seminary Chapel.

edit: I forgot to mention, center left you can see the top of the Lutheran Seminary (on Seminary Ridge) with its cuppola, to the right of it you can see the spire of the Seminary Chapel.

- Attachments
-
- ct4.jpg (465.83 KiB) Viewed 270 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis







