warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
It would be helpful if you used the quote function warspite. It helps illustrate what was actually said.
Well I’m sure it would but equally I’m sure we both know what was actually said – unless of course one of us wants to resort to silly word games……
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Then why did you make this claim in post #114?
Because you know full well it was a little exaggeration for effect. Your comments about the lack of importance of the Romanian oil to the German war economy are so mind-numbingly inane that this didn’t seem out of place
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. When did the war end in Europe?
You know exactly what I am getting at. You have tried to make the rather silly point that my saying ‘No Romanian Oil - No war’ was wrong because the war continued after the loss of Ploesti – as if that matters in the slightest.
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
No, that's not what I said. I suggest you revisit post #102. I think we can both agree that there were other Axis strategic considerations other than Ploesti.
You said “Axis strategy doesn't revolve around Ploesti alone”. Well I am quite sure that there was rather a lot for the Axis strategists to consider. You know, when deciding whether or not to go to war then there a myriad of things to consider. Now, when ranking those things to consider where, in 1939 do you believe that one’s main source of oil ranks in the overall consideration stakes?
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
For fantasy, you're indulging in a fair few flights yourself regarding Ploesti. Specifically:
1. The Allies forces are going to have the full benefit of hindsight in attacking the oil plants as a priority over other targets.
2. Allied attacks are going to be able to destroy 100% of oil production at Ploesti.
This is unfortunate as it simply evidences a total lack of understanding on your part. The whole Ploesti point came up as yet another counter to your preposterous limited invasion of Turkey routine. I did not say that the Allies could destroy Ploesti – whether 100% or otherwise. I did not need to because that wasn’t the point.
The point – and I can’t even believe I am having to explain this – is that Hitler was deeply concerned by Ploesti’s vulnerability. So much so that he had to get involved in Greece and then order the invasion of Crete. BUT you think that Hitler would have sanctioned your ridiculous Turkish (part) invasion, and so bring Ploesti into range and that would not concern him?
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
The link above has a chapter on the campaigns against oil centres, which covers this. German mechanized forces, to be blunt, stop operating. The landsers might plod along with their horse-drawn transport, but the mobile fire brigades cease to exist.
An answer that really does you no favours. Maybe it’s an attempt at humour, may be this is you being facetious? I don’t know.
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Again, please point out where that was said. I refer you back to post #107
Unfortunately because of your answer above, I am actually more of the opinion that you didn’t mean to say what I accused you of. Instead, unless you are trying to be funny, you actually meant that as a serious comment. You are actually not saying that the loss of Romanian oil pre-Barbarossa would mean no war. You are actually saying that Hitler would go to war 1900 styleee. Your credibility was shaky with the invasion of Spain/comments on Vichy stuff, really started wobbling with the whole part-invasion of Turkey rubbish, then started rocking back and forth on the ropes with Italians in the Black Sea malarchy. But then has hit the deck with this….
Listen. No Romanian oil = No war.
warspite1ORIGINAL: mind_messing
What do you define as any sensible measure?
Well it’s a shame this question was left to the end. Let’s see now. What would be a sensible measure of whether Hitler would take Germany into a war?
Erm… have we got enough reserves of oil? That would be a fairly sensible measure wouldn’t it?
Do we have adequate sources of replacement oil? There, that’s another sensible consideration right there?
If we rely on circa 50%-60% of our oil on just one source (and our ally rely 100% on this source) should we ensure first and foremost that it is not vulnerable to destruction? How about that for a sensible bit of forward planning?
Well there’s three sensible measures right off the bat. Not difficult was it?
Yes, the security of one’s main source of oil is pretty important. No Romanian oil = No war.
Now, hopefully you’ve stopped playing silly word games and you can start answering some basic questions on the subject at hand and that, in many cases have been asked more than once and by more than one person.

