Wild Sheep Chase - obvert (J) vs JocMeister (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]6 - 7 December 1943[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TWO YEARS!

After two years in game the tide is definitely moving against the Empire Japan has built. New Guinea hosts a strong Allied army on the move, the first Central Pacific atoll has just been lost, and two large armies are moving to constrict Central Burma while Japanese troops are pounded from the air.

On the positive side, the KB is still a potent force, three more CVs arrive in the next two months, and the best fighters we can field are now showing some positive results against Allied 2nd generation machines.

The Empire is beginning to go into a mode of conservation of fuel and resources. Ship construction is limited to essentials, only absolutely strategically relevant missions will be attempted, and attempts will be made to conserve use of supply for both industry and other construction.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] A few minor skirmishes on the 6th. Then on the 7th a fair bit of action, including an APA loaded up that was hit by I-173 near Canton Island and sunk.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SOUTH PACIFIC:[/font] Just a 4E strike to Milne Bay doing little damage. The AA, first and jungle are protecting things nicely here.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] Some hard numbers to look at these past few days. On the 7th I lost 22 Helens to flak out of about 150 sent. About 15%. Yuck. But some of this bombing is necessary. I may limit numbers while the stack is intact.

On the other side, the Allies nailed Magwe on the 7th. I had removed the AA here, and the troops paid for that. Over 1100 casualties! [X(] About 220+ 4Es and another 100+ 2Es hit the base, which has level 6 first but is in the clear. This could change everything. I have to see if this continues.

I sent Hiei and 2 CA, a CL and 5 DD to Akyab to hit the base. I don't think Jocke expects any fast BBs ere, or he may have just thrown 1000 mines in the approaches. Well soon see!

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENTRAL PACFIC:[/font] Canton Island falls with little fight. Most of the troops had already been evacuated or withdrawn. This proved a good speed-bump early, but there was no way it would stand even if re-enforced, after the attention paid recently.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 6, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Air attack on 52nd Naval Guard Unit, at 153,143 (Canton Island)

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes


Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 13
F6F-3 Hellcat x 154
SBD-5 Dauntless x 93
TBF-1 Avenger x 85


Allied aircraft losses
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
275 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 21 (2 destroyed, 19 disabled)


Aircraft Attacking:
10 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Ground Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes


Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 9
Mitchell II x 22
B-17E Fortress x 11
B-24D Liberator x 19
B-24D1 Liberator x 63
B-24J Liberator x 14
B-25C Mitchell x 36
B-25D1 Mitchell x 77
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 20


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 17
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 50

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 33rd Division, at 55,50 (Prome)

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 67 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes


Allied aircraft
Beaufort I x 20
Blenheim VD x 12
Wellington Ic x 24
Wellington B.X x 12
B-25C Mitchell x 24
P-40K Warhawk x 25


Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort I: 1 damaged
Wellington Ic: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Beaufort I bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 21st Division, at 55,50 (Prome)

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 12
Wellington B.X x 12
B-25C Mitchell x 24
P-40K Warhawk x 25


Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 2 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
317 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 26 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Wellington Ic bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Canton Island (153,143)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 5783 troops, 100 guns, 228 vehicles, Assault Value = 361

Defending force 655 troops, 3 guns, 28 vehicles, Assault Value = 9

Allied adjusted assault: 173

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 173 to 1 (fort level 5)

Allied forces CAPTURE Canton Island !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
627 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 71 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 36 (36 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 3

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)


Assaulting units:
34th Combat Engineer Regiment
766th Tank Battalion
104th Combat Engineer Regiment
193rd Tank Battalion
9th Marine Regiment

Defending units:
5th Armored Car Co
83rd Nav Gd /1
52nd Naval Guard Unit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 7, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASW attack near Eniwetok at 126,108

Japanese Ships
xAP Keihuku Maru
E Otori

Allied Ships
SS Narwhal, hits 2

SS Narwhal is sighted by escort
E Otori attacking submerged sub ....
E Otori fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Enderbury Island at 158,142

Japanese Ships
SS I-173, hits 1

Allied Ships
APA Du Page, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
APA Elmore
APA Custer
APA Zeilin
DD Stuart

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

SS I-173 launches 2 torpedoes at APA Du Page
DD Stuart attacking submerged sub ....
DD Stuart cannot reach attack position over SS I-173
DD Stuart is out of ASW ammo
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Enderbury Island at 158,142

Japanese Ships
SS I-173

Allied Ships
APA Du Page, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
30 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

APA Du Page is sighted by SS I-173
SS I-173 launches 2 torpedoes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 45th Indian Brigade, at 58,45 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 26
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 54



Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 15 damaged
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 26 damaged
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 3 destroyed by flak


Allied ground losses:
182 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 9000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Indian AA Bde , at 58,45 , near Mandalay

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 48 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 96
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 43
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 26 damaged
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 4 destroyed by flak
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 11 damaged
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
76 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled


Aircraft Attacking:
34 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 9000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes


Allied aircraft
Hudson III (LR) x 3
Mitchell II x 21
B-17E Fortress x 8
B-24D Liberator x 22
B-24D1 Liberator x 63
B-24J Liberator x 22
B-25C Mitchell x 48
B-25D1 Mitchell x 76
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 13


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 2 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 40

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 5th Division, at 57,47 (Magwe)

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes


Allied aircraft
Beaufort I x 27
Blenheim VD x 16
Liberator II x 16
Liberator B.III x 16
Liberator GR.III x 11
Wellington Ic x 48
Wellington B.X x 16
B-24D Liberator x 12
B-24D1 Liberator x 54
B-24J Liberator x 19
B-25C Mitchell x 62


Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
1184 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 60 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 95 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 27 (1 destroyed, 26 disabled)


Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Beaufort I bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 5th Division, at 57,47 (Magwe)

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes


Allied aircraft
Wellington B.X x 16
B-17F Fortress x 12
B-24D1 Liberator x 9
B-24J Liberator x 28


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
341 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 22 disabled


Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Wellington B.X bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 4th RTA/C Division, at 57,47 (Magwe)

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes


Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 12
B-24D1 Liberator x 12
B-24J Liberator x 16

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
172 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/font]

Reinforcements: Another small addition.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]MTB G-161 arrives at Yokohama/Yokosuka[/font]

Losses: None.

Ships Sunk: This is the very first APA sunk in the game so far.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]APA Du Page is reported to have been sunk near Enderbury Island on Dec 07, 1943[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Trebuchet MS"]BB Hiei and company are heading into dangerous waters. If they can get to Akyab and get a hit on those fields, there are over 600 planes there now. That could be a very good haul. [/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments
Heicolor.jpg
Heicolor.jpg (135.57 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]Burma[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After making the decision to stay in the bases and defend Burma from the center, I was optimistic I could at least make this take some time and slow the Allied advance through inside lines and the high forts that would allow me to re-enforce any base he invested heavily before it was in danger of falling.

Now I'm not so sure. The air results of last turn make me think any hex in the clear, whether it has forts 6+ or not, is not tenable. I'll sit on it and take a few more hits before I make any choices, because I don't want to let on what I'm thinking, but I am leaning toward giving up central Burma and moving into the jungles behind. The terrain there would protect me a bit and the front looks manageable with the forces I have available. There are now about 8k AV IJA troops in central and southern Burma. There are another 1k AV in the North holding the flank.

What to you guys think? What is the best option in the face of intense Allied air pressure and fighter superiority, plus two large stacks moving to pinch the center? Here is a map to give and idea of the situation.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Attachments
burm1128.jpg
burm1128.jpg (680.04 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

After making the decision to stay in the bases and defend Burma from the center, I was optimistic I could at least make this take some time and slow the Allied advance through inside lines and the high forts that would allow me to re-enforce any base he invested heavily before it was in danger of falling.

Now I'm not so sure. The air results of last turn make me think any hex in the clear, whether it has forts 6+ or not, is not tenable. I'll sit on it and take a few more hits before I make any choices, because I don't want to let on what I'm thinking, but I am leaning toward giving up central Burma and moving into the jungles behind. The terrain there would protect me a bit and the front looks manageable with the forces I have available. There are now about 8k AV IJA troops in central and southern Burma. There are another 1k AV in the North holding the flank.

What to you guys think? What is the best option in the face of intense Allied air pressure and fighter superiority, plus two large stacks moving to pinch the center? Here is a map to give and idea of the situation.

My experience is you just can't hold clear or cultivated terrain, regardless of fort levels, against determined Allied bombing. The Allied bombers will decimate your forces or cause so much disruption as to make your defence untenable. I don't recall if you remember from my other PBEM, but I had a Japanese division move into Meiktila with level four forts and one day of Allied bombing rendered it all but useless with over 85% disruption.

You have to get your troops into better defensive terrain otherwise you'll simply be ground into dust on the plains. I hate Burma.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Andav
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 7:48 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by Andav »


My experience has been the same as Lemon's. The center of Burma can't be defended. Allied air will destroy anything in an open hex. Defending in the jungles is better by far.

I pretty never post but I was logged in and thought I would let you know I am still reading and enjoying this AAR. It is one of about 6 I follow. Keep up the good work!

Wa
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
ORIGINAL: obvert

After making the decision to stay in the bases and defend Burma from the center, I was optimistic I could at least make this take some time and slow the Allied advance through inside lines and the high forts that would allow me to re-enforce any base he invested heavily before it was in danger of falling.

Now I'm not so sure. The air results of last turn make me think any hex in the clear, whether it has forts 6+ or not, is not tenable. I'll sit on it and take a few more hits before I make any choices, because I don't want to let on what I'm thinking, but I am leaning toward giving up central Burma and moving into the jungles behind. The terrain there would protect me a bit and the front looks manageable with the forces I have available. There are now about 8k AV IJA troops in central and southern Burma. There are another 1k AV in the North holding the flank.

What to you guys think? What is the best option in the face of intense Allied air pressure and fighter superiority, plus two large stacks moving to pinch the center? Here is a map to give and idea of the situation.

My experience is you just can't hold clear or cultivated terrain, regardless of fort levels, against determined Allied bombing. The Allied bombers will decimate your forces or cause so much disruption as to make your defence untenable. I don't recall if you remember from my other PBEM, but I had a Japanese division move into Meiktila with level four forts and one day of Allied bombing rendered it all but useless with over 85% disruption.

You have to get your troops into better defensive terrain otherwise you'll simply be ground into dust on the plains. I hate Burma.

For all of the info I've seen, including yours and even rader's game with jzanes in which he had whole divisions wiped out in the clear in Manchuria, I still thought for some reason this would work with enough forts. My experience so far has been that level 6 forts can hold in any terrain against bombing as long as some factors help lessen the effects. These would be AA, CAP and big tough fully prepped units with lots of support. I have had those factors until now in Burma, but slowly my ability to fight an air war in the center was weakened by the proximity and power of Allied sweeps and concentrated bombing of the fields.

So this really is a failure on my part to put the pieces together and anticipate the direction this would go. I now need to think of option B, and fast. Luckily for me he decided to shift in his next turn to a unit dug in in the woods with some AA in the hex, and that held much better. I'm still curious at how Mandalay will work with it's level 7 forts. I'll plan to leave that as the last redoubt on the plains as I shift focus to the rough jungle behind. I'm sending in more AA for the time being and hoping to surprise with 150 fighters one day soon along one of the rail line hexes in the center.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Andav


My experience has been the same as Lemon's. The center of Burma can't be defended. Allied air will destroy anything in an open hex. Defending in the jungles is better by far.

I pretty never post but I was logged in and thought I would let you know I am still reading and enjoying this AAR. It is one of about 6 I follow. Keep up the good work!

Wa

Thanks Andav. Glad to hear you're around and following. I really enjoyed your AAR when you had it going. It would be great to hear what's happening on your side of that game if the time ever presents itself.

Do you think the line I've made on the map is tenable for the near future? I do have the luxury of having all of China behind me, so that makes me at least not concerned with getting units trapped in the North.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

double post
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
GreyJoy
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by GreyJoy »

I'm sorry to hear that Erik but, as i told you few weeks ago, my opinion is that your defensive strategy in Burma wasn't the best one. Clear terrain is undefendable. Point. It doesn't matter how many forts you have, allied 1943 squads and tanks will simply overrunn your divisions and destroy your forts. The 4Es will do the rest. The only way to hold is to deny him the use of bombers, and the only way to do that is not CAP, but incredible masses of flak guns.
To be honest i think it's too late now. Your best option imho is to defend the Paoshan approaches (western China) and the Moulmein line. You need to estabilish a defensive line in northern thailand NOW. You also need to reinforce the Adamans and the area around Victoria Point. He'll be in Rangoon in a click once he breakthrough and, once there, you are screwed if you haven't set up a defensive line in northern Thailand.
8000 AVs are more than enough to do that. In jungle terrain, with some decent forts, i think you can hold long enough. Shift your base forces and flak to Bankok asap. The best i can offer is to avoid defences in base hexes. Use the empty hexes with good defensive terrain and deny him any advance south of Rangoon. All you efforts and vitories in the pacific may be rendered useless if you lose this battle now
See what happened in Jcar's game...
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I'm sorry to hear that Erik but, as i told you few weeks ago, my opinion is that your defensive strategy in Burma wasn't the best one. Clear terrain is undefendable. Point. It doesn't matter how many forts you have, allied 1943 squads and tanks will simply overrunn your divisions and destroy your forts. The 4Es will do the rest. The only way to hold is to deny him the use of bombers, and the only way to do that is not CAP, but incredible masses of flak guns.
To be honest i think it's too late now. Your best option imho is to defend the Paoshan approaches (western China) and the Moulmein line. You need to estabilish a defensive line in northern thailand NOW. You also need to reinforce the Adamans and the area around Victoria Point. He'll be in Rangoon in a click once he breakthrough and, once there, you are screwed if you haven't set up a defensive line in northern Thailand.
8000 AVs are more than enough to do that. In jungle terrain, with some decent forts, i think you can hold long enough. Shift your base forces and flak to Bankok asap. The best i can offer is to avoid defences in base hexes. Use the empty hexes with good defensive terrain and deny him any advance south of Rangoon. All you efforts and vitories in the pacific may be rendered useless if you lose this battle now
See what happened in Jcar's game...

I'm definitely listening, and I appreciate all of the advice here, but I'm not quite as pessimistic about a line farther north than Rangoon, Pegu, Moulmein being able to hold for a while. Even with relatively low forts, he needs 3-1 to really break through in good terrain. Thus if he concentrates and I can hold a few turns and load up that hex, it could be tough to both maintain that ratio and have enough supply for frequent attacks. Of course I have no idea how much he has really brought, other than that all of the AA in India has made it here!![;)]

Currently I am in fact moving more base forces to the Thailand area plus another HQa. I have engineer units building at the three bases near Pisanoluke. The Andamans all are level 5-6 forts and have garrison units, so between 120-200 AV. The upper Malay peninsula needs garrisons, but some of the major bases have a small garrison now.

A line in Burma in the center above Tougoo to Taung Gyi will have to hold for a month or two. I simply don't know that he has enough to force through as quickly as you're implying for one reason; supply. Although I lose many bombers a day, that all takes some supply. At this point it's a long train through difficult pathways, one of which I hope to interdict eve if for a moment in two turns, (there is nothing across from Prome just now on the road to Akyab). In jrcar's game it has taken a good several months in game to push into Thailand after a breakthrough, and from what it seems, a lot of US units were added into the mix to make that happen. Also, the one really critical factor I can't let happen is a landing on Sumatra. That compounds the issue there.

As I see it, with what I think he has brought, if I had been in the jungles on the edge of Burma he could have concentrated and broken through to run ahead already by now. I would be scrambling back to try to set up a line with vulnerable units running over empty plains. Now at least I'm close to cover, have a lot of supply, and can still stall in the base hexes and leave a rear guard to assess what he has brought to the party. I may still be wrong, and I am screwed, but I have always been an optimist! [:D]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
GreyJoy
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: obvert
ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

I'm sorry to hear that Erik but, as i told you few weeks ago, my opinion is that your defensive strategy in Burma wasn't the best one. Clear terrain is undefendable. Point. It doesn't matter how many forts you have, allied 1943 squads and tanks will simply overrunn your divisions and destroy your forts. The 4Es will do the rest. The only way to hold is to deny him the use of bombers, and the only way to do that is not CAP, but incredible masses of flak guns.
To be honest i think it's too late now. Your best option imho is to defend the Paoshan approaches (western China) and the Moulmein line. You need to estabilish a defensive line in northern thailand NOW. You also need to reinforce the Adamans and the area around Victoria Point. He'll be in Rangoon in a click once he breakthrough and, once there, you are screwed if you haven't set up a defensive line in northern Thailand.
8000 AVs are more than enough to do that. In jungle terrain, with some decent forts, i think you can hold long enough. Shift your base forces and flak to Bankok asap. The best i can offer is to avoid defences in base hexes. Use the empty hexes with good defensive terrain and deny him any advance south of Rangoon. All you efforts and vitories in the pacific may be rendered useless if you lose this battle now
See what happened in Jcar's game...

I'm definitely listening, and I appreciate all of the advice here, but I'm not quite as pessimistic about a line farther north than Rangoon, Pegu, Moulmein being able to hold for a while. Even with relatively low forts, he needs 3-1 to really break through in good terrain. Thus if he concentrates and I can hold a few turns and load up that hex, it could be tough to both maintain that ratio and have enough supply for frequent attacks. Of course I have no idea how much he has really brought, other than that all of the AA in India has made it here!![;)]

Currently I am in fact moving more base forces to the Thailand area plus another HQa. I have engineer units building at the three bases near Pisanoluke. The Andamans all are level 5-6 forts and have garrison units, so between 120-200 AV. The upper Malay peninsula needs garrisons, but some of the major bases have a small garrison now.

A line in Burma in the center above Tougoo to Taung Gyi will have to hold for a month or two. I simply don't know that he has enough to force through as quickly as you're implying for one reason; supply. Although I lose many bombers a day, that all takes some supply. At this point it's a long train through difficult pathways, one of which I hope to interdict eve if for a moment in two turns, (there is nothing across from Prome just now on the road to Akyab). In jrcar's game it has taken a good several months in game to push into Thailand after a breakthrough, and from what it seems, a lot of US units were added into the mix to make that happen. Also, the one really critical factor I can't let happen is a landing on Sumatra. That compounds the issue there.

As I see it, with what I think he has brought, if I had been in the jungles on the edge of Burma he could have concentrated and broken through to run ahead already by now. I would be scrambling back to try to set up a line with vulnerable units running over empty plains. Now at least I'm close to cover, have a lot of supply, and can still stall in the base hexes and leave a rear guard to assess what he has brought to the party. I may still be wrong, and I am screwed, but I have always been an optimist! [:D]

Yes, maybe you're right. Now i realize that Joc hasn't left anything to cover its road supply line north of Prome... crazy![8|]
If i was him i'd drive all the way to Bassein, jumping in clear terrain with my armour, while my divisions hold you back at Prome. Who gives a crap about Mandaly if you can have Rangoon?
However now that i look at your map, yes, it may be holdable but i strongly advice to have a plan for a fast strategic retreat if things go wrong.
Good thing you're already building Thailand.

How's your defences in North and western Sumatra? Pagang, Siberoet, Benkoleng, Sebang etc...?
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy


Yes, maybe you're right. Now i realize that Joc hasn't left anything to cover its road supply line north of Prome... crazy![8|]
If i was him i'd drive all the way to Bassein, jumping in clear terrain with my armour, while my divisions hold you back at Prome. Who gives a crap about Mandaly if you can have Rangoon?
However now that i look at your map, yes, it may be holdable but i strongly advice to have a plan for a fast strategic retreat if things go wrong.
Good thing you're already building Thailand.

How's your defences in North and western Sumatra? Pagang, Siberoet, Benkoleng, Sebang etc...?

Yeah, I know he has a US division moving forward, plus more moving from Akyab, but that hex is open now. I'm throwing a tank regiment at it. The hope is that the easier supply path will be severed, and stuff will have to move through more difficult one, possibly taking a while to get going. I'm sure the tanks will suffer.

The path I was preparing for is the one you outline. Heading for Bassein and blocking at Prome. I had most of the AA moved into this region and about half of the LCUs, 4k-5k AV. Since he went into the plains I am now having to shift it all around, but there is some time at least to do this. That is the main reason Magwe troops got nailed after I moved out all of the AA there.

In Sumatra I've been building forts and intended to use the brigades I've just dropped into Rangoon for that area. Because I know the US CVs are still in the Pacific and I do have some critical points partially garrisoned with air defenses and HQa in place, I decided Burma was in the most dire need. A serious risk, as it will be a while until I have some force in upper Sumatra now. Padang and Benkolen are built but have only naval guard units. Siberot and Sabang need garrisons but forts are in place. Sabang has a regiment and some arty with another naval guard en route.

I just got all of the Brigades in China listed in the ops report below. I plan to buy out one of the brigades below per week and send them to Sumatra and a few islands in the SE DEI. There are some other units also arriving in the next few months to add in.


Image
Attachments
brigdes129.jpg
brigdes129.jpg (295.88 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

Here is a shot of Burma with some plans for defensive lines. I'm trying to imagine the prep and movement of large forces with long supply lines for the Allies, and before he gets Rangoon it will hopefully be tough to move quickly. I'm not sure how realistic I'm being here, but I'm hoping for the best and trying to imagine a somewhat organized plan of retreat. Any major rout and breakthrough could severely alter these plans. Maybe I'm not seeing clearly where the good defensive positions are either, so if you guys see any glaring issues, let me know.

The dotted areas are ones where i imagine less set defensive positions as they're farther from the previous line or less focal for moves to the areas of interest. Areas on the Chinese border will be pretty easy to defend as they are good territory and I have a LOT of Chinese units to use.

Image
Attachments
burm1129.jpg
burm1129.jpg (730.02 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I think your ability to withdraw into China is both a blessing and a curse so to speak. It definitely reduces the risk of being cut off but also disperses your defence to cover a much longer MLR. Which are you more willing to lose? Have you thought about trying to steer Jocke's offensive in a direction of your choosing? If you could get him focused on Katha, Myitkyina, Bhamo and Lashio that could buy you a lot of time to improve your Prome, Toungoo and Taung Gyi line and get your Apr. 44 line prepared in depth. The fact that you control all the bases on the supply road to Chungking means Jocke mostly likely won't be able to change anything in China for at least a year so I'd definitely look to shift your focus and make sure Moulmein and area stay Japanese for a long time.

The interior lines of communication should make it pretty easy for you to redeploy and entice Jocke to shift his advance farther north if you choose to. If the large enemy force at Akyab heads for the plains rather than Prome I think you'll have time to secure your Feb. 44 line anchored at Toungoo, but I'd include Taung Gyi. I'd be prepared to give up the plains without a fight if need be, don't be sentimental about the effort you put into building them up. I know you want the Allies to pay heavily to take them, but not at the expense of weakening the more formidable MLR you can establish using the terrain to your benefit.

Personally, I like your Feb. 44 MLR, but I'd shift it to cover Lashio and Paoshan rather than up to Myitkyina. I'd try enticing the Allies to move against Katha and Myitkyina which buys you more time. You can still eventually withdraw/reinforce your Feb. 44 MLR from China if needed from the secondary road west of Kunming.

I think Mandalay is not the key to defending the plains, Meiktila is. Once either Meiktila (more important) or Magwe are taken Mandalay becomes rather meaningless.

Just some thoughts based on what I currently see from your screenshot.

I hate Burma.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I think your ability to withdraw into China is both a blessing and a curse so to speak. It definitely reduces the risk of being cut off but also disperses your defence to cover a much longer MLR. Which are you more willing to lose? Have you thought about trying to steer Jocke's offensive in a direction of your choosing? If you could get him focused on Katha, Myitkyina, Bhamo and Lashio that could buy you a lot of time to improve your Prome, Toungoo and Taung Gyi line and get your Apr. 44 line prepared in depth. The fact that you control all the bases on the supply road to Chungking means Jocke mostly likely won't be able to change anything in China for at least a year so I'd definitely look to shift your focus and make sure Moulmein and area stay Japanese for a long time.

The interior lines of communication should make it pretty easy for you to redeploy and entice Jocke to shift his advance farther north if you choose to. If the large enemy force at Akyab heads for the plains rather than Prome I think you'll have time to secure your Feb. 44 line anchored at Toungoo, but I'd include Taung Gyi. I'd be prepared to give up the plains without a fight if need be, don't be sentimental about the effort you put into building them up. I know you want the Allies to pay heavily to take them, but not at the expense of weakening the more formidable MLR you can establish using the terrain to your benefit.

Personally, I like your Feb. 44 MLR, but I'd shift it to cover Lashio and Paoshan rather than up to Myitkyina. I'd try enticing the Allies to move against Katha and Myitkyina which buys you more time. You can still eventually withdraw/reinforce your Feb. 44 MLR from China if needed from the secondary road west of Kunming.

I think Mandalay is not the key to defending the plains, Meiktila is. Once either Meiktila (more important) or Magwe are taken Mandalay becomes rather meaningless.

Just some thoughts based on what I currently see from your screenshot.

I hate Burma.

I like your thinking here. I could run everything important to the South while the rail is still open, then keep a skeleton force in the plains just to make him have to take the bases (if the 4Es don't grind the remaining units into pulp first). While he takes the plains, I get the first two MLRs set up. Thinking about it I really like the Feb 44 line as well with the collapsing of the right flank in Northern Burma and protecting only the bases at Lashio and Paoshan and the roads between. This entire time I've been thinking I should keep him from getting to China and keep him from getting toward Thailand for as long as possible.

I actually do want him moving toward China. I have many more troops there to use that are restricted, so if he forces me to Paoshan, great. Welcome to the Chinese Expediationary Army. Here are 6 reinforced divisions in a jungle/mountain hex with 6-7 forts. Go for it. Every step there would be a grind.

I'm going to do some redrawing.

PS - Operation SqzMyPaoshan? [:D]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

PS - Operation SqzMyPaoshan? [:D]

I'd forgotten about Operation SqzMyWenchow! [:D]

I agree with your assesment about China. If Jocke decides to try and open a direct LOC to free up his Chinese reservation you've won a strategic victory. It will resemble the Italian theatre in terms of time and cost for him and not improve his overall situation that much. More so when you can use restricted units that otherwise would be doing nothing, as you point out.

It's going to take a little magic though in terms of timing and force allocation to make things just tough enough to slow him down, yet reward his success by dangling a carrot representing possible Chinese liberation and hope he jumps at it, rather than seize the central plains and launch a mutually supporting two pronged thrust against Prome and Toungoo. It all depends on if he'll play ball or not.

Interesting times.

I'll be following along closely as this theatre always concerns me and learning how to defend it properly is a big deal in my books. I hate Burma.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by crsutton »

I would have to agree with the others. You are facing disaster if you continue to fight for the center of Burma into 1944. It is not just the terrain but by now the Allied player should have enough surplus assault shipping that he could mount a major invasion anywhere along the coast and flank the whole Burma theater. If he springs a major invasion on Pegu, Moulmein, Rangoon or even one of the points to the South then your whole force will be cut off from supply. I pulled this on Viberpol in our game and I would say it cost him the equivalent of 15 divisions. Not only was he trapped and out of supply he then had no force to block the capture of Bangkok or prevent an easy drive into central SE Asia. There just comes a point when Burma has to be evacuated and Rangoon given up.

Quite frankly, it is now 1944 and he is way past the point where he should have invaded in your rear somewhere. Sabang is an option too. Looks like he has commitments elsewhere but he is getting a lot of amphibious ships by now and may be eyeballing you in Burma.

Knowing now what I know about Allied capability in 1944, if I was playing Japan, my defensive line would be along the Molmeim/Chaing Mai line. Great terrain, shorter supply line and not so easy to flank.

You do have some advantage in that you control the Burma road through China but I don't think enough supply can flow through that route to Burma and getting flanked and having to evacuate through China is not necessarily the best thing.

I will say that for the Allies it gets to be a problem supporting a major offensive as supply does not flow well from India to Burma. He is going to have some trouble until he takes some cities in the central plain and expands them. Plus if he gets Ramree Island then supplies flow very well from there into any portion of Burma. (God bless the LST!) But if you stay in open terrain, you will just be doing him a favor. Especially if he has lots of armor.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Here is a shot of Burma with some plans for defensive lines. I'm trying to imagine the prep and movement of large forces with long supply lines for the Allies, and before he gets Rangoon it will hopefully be tough to move quickly. I'm not sure how realistic I'm being here, but I'm hoping for the best and trying to imagine a somewhat organized plan of retreat. Any major rout and breakthrough could severely alter these plans. Maybe I'm not seeing clearly where the good defensive positions are either, so if you guys see any glaring issues, let me know.

The dotted areas are ones where i imagine less set defensive positions as they're farther from the previous line or less focal for moves to the areas of interest. Areas on the Chinese border will be pretty easy to defend as they are good territory and I have a LOT of Chinese units to use.

Image

With China completely lost, there is no strategic benefit to the Allies in retaking one single point in Burma. There are very few VP to be had, no industry to take out-nothing worth expending time and troops on that can be used elsewhere. Rangoon is nice due to the VP and the port but otherwise there is nothing there that will benefit the Allies or help them win the war. Only a fool would even consider a campaign back towards or into China. Are you assuming that your opponent will do what you want or expect him to do? Perhaps he will wise up and just say the "heck with it" and go deep into the DEI. That is what I would do if I were him. He should be looking toward your oil fields and not at Burma at all.

Sorry, I am just a die hard Allied FB. I wish I could grab your opponent by the ears and shake some sense into him...[:D] You have done a great job so far.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton


With China completely lost, there is no strategic benefit to the Allies in retaking one single point in Burma. There are very few VP to be had, no industry to take out-nothing worth expending time and troops on that can be used elsewhere. Rangoon is nice due to the VP and the port but otherwise there is nothing there that will benefit the Allies or help them win the war. Only a fool would even consider a campaign back towards or into China. Are you assuming that your opponent will do what you want or expect him to do? Perhaps he will wise up and just say the "heck with it" and go deep into the DEI. That is what I would do if I were him. He should be looking toward your oil fields and not at Burma at all.

Sorry, I am just a die hard Allied FB. I wish I could grab your opponent by the ears and shake some sense into him...[:D] You have done a great job so far.

No apologies needed. Some new developments show that my opponent may indeed have realized all of this and has been toying with my ability to use internal lines a bit with his movement so far in Burma. If that is indeed the case, kudos to him.

The idea proposed by Joseph in no way implies that I thikn Jocke will bite and go all-in for China. If any of his resources are allocated to that route though, that would be a bonus for me. It was more of a useful wakeup call for my strategy. I think I'd become too precious about BUrma, having been in it and building up the defenses for so long. I needed a shake-up of concept, and that did it.

Why are any good troops guarding the approaches to China? Well that is my failing. They shouldn't be. They should be an absolute wall protecting the approach to Thailand and the DEI. So at least now, if I'm not too late, I can make that shift of strategy and bring more to bear instead of having my forces split.

It's all new, I've not tried any of this before, but I should have thought a bit more deeply about it all maybe, um, about a month ago. [8|]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

The idea proposed by Joseph in no way implies that I thikn Jocke will bite and go all-in for China. If any of his resources are allocated to that route though, that would be a bonus for me. It was more of a useful wakeup call for my strategy. I think I'd become too precious about BUrma, having been in it and building up the defenses for so long. I needed a shake-up of concept, and that did it.

Why are any good troops guarding the approaches to China? Well that is my failing. They shouldn't be. They should be an absolute wall protecting the approach to Thailand and the DEI. So at least now, if I'm not too late, I can make that shift of strategy and bring more to bear instead of having my forces split.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think Jocke will go all-in for China either, it may be too late for you to hope for that now. However, I still think you'll have time to shift into better terrain and block the direct route. The railway is going to be invaluable for your redeployment, so at least Jocke hasn't blocked it yet.

I just know from my experience that you can only hold Burma by not fighting in it [:D]. There's no catch all strategy for the theatre and the time always comes when you have to just cut most of it loose.

I wish I'd mentioned this to you maybe, um, about a month ago.

P.s. I learned the same painful lesson in my previous AAR. I misplayed Burma too and beat myself up over it for not seeing it sooner.
<<<< for me, not you. [8D]

I hate Burma.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Wild Sheep Chase

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]8 - 9 December 1943[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] British subs hit 2 DDs near Ramree after naval battles at Akyab, sinking both.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SOUTH PACIFIC:[/font] Milne Bay shrugs off another big raid with little damage. I'm also sending in ships to begin evacuating big useful infantry, AA and engineer units for use in the DEI.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]WEST OZ: [/font] Troop ships are loading at Darwin and Exmouth. Praying for a few more days of calm. Interestingly, no recon these days at Exmouth. Darwin has protection from 100 fighters, but is under constant scrutiny.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The oceans took precedent during these turns. I sent DDs to hit PT boats at Ranree Island on the 8th. All good there. The moon helped us sink five.

The bombardment didn't go, and I probably should have cancelled for another time. Instead I though maybe he wouldn't imagine such a bold step. never a good assumption against good play. So we had a tussle. Five British CA were sitting at Akyab waiting, and the BB, 2 CA, CL, 7 DD TF went in. The battle started at 2k and Takao was hit early with a TT that probably ruined our chances of getting away with good results here. Nothing sank but a Brit DD in the first engagement, but the Takao and the Nagara were about to go and were put in escort TFs.

I hate this function, as then the DD allocated to them were out of action and also left unCAPed, which showed up as a problem later. So with now only 5 DD, the Hiei and Kinugasa met the Brits again, sinking the Shropshire and Exeter. The Kinugasa was in sorry shape though and sank after the battle.

The devastating part was later when subs nailed 2 DD and air strikes hit the unCAPed escorts for three more losses.

Looks like I tried for too much here, and wasn't quite powerful or subtle enough in my methods to get in there.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENTRAL PACFIC:[/font] Ships are hanging around Canton Island and some subs are lurking in the area hoping for opportunities. Baker Island does make forts 6. He most likely won't even hit it now, though.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 8, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 54,48, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Akigumo
DD Hayashimo
DD Akishimo
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
MTB 283
MTB 284
MTB 285
MTB 286, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 291
MTB 292
MTB 293, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 294

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 54,48, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Akigumo
DD Hayashimo
DD Akishimo
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
MTB 275
MTB 276
MTB 277
MTB 278
MTB 279
MTB 280
MTB 281, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 282, Shell hits 1, and is sunk


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 54,48, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Akigumo
DD Hayashimo
DD Akishimo
DD Oboro

Allied Ships
MTB 283
MTB 284
MTB 285
MTB 291
MTB 292, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 294

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Milne Bay at 101,133

Japanese Ships
SS I-10, hits 6

Allied Ships
DMS Zane
DMS Lamberton
DMS Boggs

SS I-10 launches 2 torpedoes at DMS Zane
DMS Lamberton attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-10 eludes ASW attack from DMS Lamberton
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Gove , at 82,127

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 3 damaged

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled


Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 48

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 9, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASW attack near Milne Bay at 101,134

Japanese Ships
SS RO-62, hits 2

Allied Ships
DMS Zane, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DMS Lamberton
DMS Boggs

SS RO-62 launches 4 torpedoes at DMS Zane
RO-62 diving deep ....
DMS Boggs attacking submerged sub ....
DMS Boggs cannot reach attack position over SS RO-62
SS RO-62 eludes ASW attack from DMS Boggs
DMS Boggs attacking submerged sub ....
DMS Boggs cannot reach attack position over SS RO-62
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Akyab at 54,45, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
CA Takao, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Nagara, Shell hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Asashio
DD Arashio, Shell hits 2
DD Umikaze, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Hibiki
DD Usugumo
DD Shirakumo, Shell hits 1
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Shropshire, Shell hits 4, on fire
CA Dorsetshire, Shell hits 2
CA Sussex, Shell hits 1
CA Suffolk, Shell hits 2
CA Exeter, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Racehorse
DD Rapid
DD Redoubt, Shell hits 1
DD Relentless, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Roebuck, Shell hits 1
DD Rotherham, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 92% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 7,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 7,000 yards
CL Nagara engages CA Suffolk at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
CA Takao engages CA Exeter at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
CL Nagara engages CA Exeter at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Exeter at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Shropshire at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Exeter at 13,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
CA Exeter engages CL Nagara at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
CA Exeter engages CL Nagara at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Exeter at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
CL Nagara engages CA Exeter at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
CA Takao engages CA Exeter at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Suffolk at 12,000 yards
CA Takao engages CA Suffolk at 12,000 yards
DD Asashio engages DD Rapid at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Akyab at 54,45, Range 7,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Walrus II: 1 destroyed
Seagull V: 2 destroyed


Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 1
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 14, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Asashio
DD Arashio, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Hibiki
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Shirakumo, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Shropshire, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
CA Dorsetshire, Shell hits 3, on fire
CA Sussex
CA Suffolk
CA Exeter, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Racehorse, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Rapid, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Redoubt, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Relentless, Shell hits 3, heavy fires
DD Roebuck, Shell hits 1

Improved night sighting under 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 92% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 7,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 7,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages CA Exeter at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
CA Exeter sunk by CA Kinugasa at 2,000 yards
Massive explosion on CA Shropshire
CA Shropshire sunk by BB Hiei at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Sussex at 5,000 yards
CA Suffolk engages CA Kinugasa at 5,000 yards
CA Dorsetshire engages DD Shirakumo at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Suffolk engages CA Kinugasa at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Dorsetshire at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Dorsetshire at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Dorsetshire at 8,000 yards
DD Racehorse engages DD Usugumo at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages CA Suffolk at 10,000 yards
DD Shirakumo engages DD Racehorse at 10,000 yards
Boyd, D.W. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range closes to 7,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Suffolk at 7,000 yards
CA Dorsetshire engages CA Kinugasa at 7,000 yards
DD Shirakumo engages DD Racehorse at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
BB Hiei engages CA Suffolk at 13,000 yards
CA Suffolk engages CA Kinugasa at 13,000 yards
Task forces break off...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Akyab at 54,45, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
[color] Takao, and is sunk
[:(]
DD Umikaze, on fire
DD Yugiri

Allied Ships
MTB 275
MTB 276, Shell hits 1
MTB 277
MTB 278
MTB 279
MTB 280, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Ramree Island at 53,48

Japanese Ships
DD Usugumo, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Shirakumo

Allied Ships
SS Trespasser

SS Trespasser launches 4 torpedoes at DD Usugumo
Trespasser diving deep ....
DD Shirakumo fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Prome at 53,50

Japanese Ships
DD Yugiri, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Trusty

SS Trusty launches 2 torpedoes at DD Yugiri
Trusty diving deep ....
Sub escapes detection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 50th Tank Brigade, at 55,49 , near Prome

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 96
Ki-49-IIb Helen x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 15 damaged
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x Ki-49-IIb Helen bombing from 12000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Milne Bay , at 101,133

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes


Allied aircraft
Mitchell II x 15
B-17E Fortress x 15
B-24D Liberator x 17
B-24D1 Liberator x 70
B-24J Liberator x 23
B-25C Mitchell x 42
B-25D1 Mitchell x 79
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 20


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase hits 42
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 89

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Prome at 53,50

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes


Allied aircraft
Beaufort I x 8
P-40K Warhawk x 25

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Umikaze, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 20th AA Regiment, at 59,45 (Shwebo)

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes


Allied aircraft
Blenheim VD x 13
Liberator II x 12
Liberator B.III x 12
Liberator GR.III x 10
Wellington Ic x 26
Wellington B.X x 26
B-17F Fortress x 3
B-24D Liberator x 20
B-24D1 Liberator x 67
B-24J Liberator x 50
B-25C Mitchell x 41


Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 1 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 1 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
271 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 59 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 69 (15 destroyed, 54 disabled)
Vehicles lost 47 (11 destroyed, 36 disabled)


Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Wellington B.X bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Prome at 53,50

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 4 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 15
Spitfire VIII x 15

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Shirakumo, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Hibiki, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color][/font]

Reinforcements: These infantry are the units that go to the DEI. I'll buy one a week. The air HQ and base forces are for Thailand and N Malaya.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]9th Air Division arrives at Saigon
5th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Hankow
12th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Hankow
6th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Shanghai
7th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Nanchang
13th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Canton
1st Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Tsingtao
2nd Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Peiping
9th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Tientsin
3rd Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Peiping
4th Ind.Infantry Brigade arrives at Peiping
87th JAAF AF Bn arrives at Saigon
89th JAAF AF Bn arrives at Saigon
22nd JAAF Base Force arrives at Nagasaki/Sasebo
26th JAAF Base Force arrives at Shanghai
27th JAAF Base Force arrives at Sapporo
30th JAAF Base Force arrives at Tokyo

Aircraft N1K2-J George advances R&D (3/44)
[/font]

Losses: Losing another two CA is tough, but at this point in the game not unexpected. At least we took out an equal number. It's the DDs that are concerning me.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Loss of CA Takao on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
CA Kinugasa
CL Nagara
Loss of DD Umikaze on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
Loss of DD Hibiki on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
Loss of DD Usugumo on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
Loss of DD Shirakumo on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
Loss of DD Yugiri on Dec 09, 1943 is admitted
[/font]

Ships Sunk: Not a bad haul, just a high price.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]MTB 281 is reported to have been sunk near Ramree Island on Dec 08, 1943
MTB 282 is reported to have been sunk near Ramree Island on Dec 08, 1943
MTB 286 is reported to have been sunk near Ramree Island on Dec 08, 1943
MTB 292 is reported to have been sunk near Ramree Island on Dec 08, 1943
MTB 293 is reported to have been sunk near Ramree Island on Dec 08, 1943
Previous report of sinking of SS Scamp incorrect. Intelligence reports ship is still in service
CA Shropshire is reported to have been sunk near Akyab on Dec 09, 1943
CA Exeter is reported to have been sunk near Akyab on Dec 09, 1943
DD Rotherham is reported to have been sunk near Akyab on Dec 09, 1943
DMS Zane is reported to have been sunk near Milne Bay on Dec 09, 1943
MTB 280 is reported to have been sunk near Akyab on Dec 09, 1943
[/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Image
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[font="Trebuchet MS"]The Takao is one of those ships that looks like it'll never go down. Alas, one TT to begin the battle and it didn't have a chance. [/font]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments
takao.jpg
takao.jpg (165.94 KiB) Viewed 459 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”