v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Roger Neilson II
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne. England

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Roger Neilson II »

Would totally agree Raver, took me ages clicking and almost gave up. Perhaps a sticky with simple directions for us eedjits out here?

Roger
Image
User avatar
Oliver Heindorf
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Hamburg/Deutschland

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

Hello,
 
public beta files have been in the same places since ages ago.
I wonder why those really old stuff / old questions come up every here and then ? [&:]
 
Member area as usual since the first release of a public beta since 2006
Fishbed
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 am
Location: Henderson Field, Guadalcanal

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Fishbed »

uber-kudos!
Fishbed
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 am
Location: Henderson Field, Guadalcanal

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Fishbed »

Unfortunately it seems I can't get the hi-res work on my laptop. Max is 1280x800, with an Intel chip. Too bad :(

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1280 –py0800
hunchback77
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 13, 2002 4:28 am
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by hunchback77 »

ORIGINAL: jigsaw

ORIGINAL: n01487477
Not to be too funny, but are you sure you bought the right game for you ? [;)]

Bought the origional on release day and enjoyed it in thoery, but the initial buggy state of the game ended up with it being shelved. So yeh, no problem with the game play or the game itself (have kinda bought it twice now)...1024x768 on a 30" screen makes my eyes bleed though [;)]

Don't be to upset Jigsaw, running at 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell will make the text very small,task force and ground icons tiny, your eyesight better be able to keep up. I'm finding that I don't like it as much as I thought I would at that high a resolution. Although seeing that much real estate is nice.
User avatar
BigJ62
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:53 am
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contact:

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by BigJ62 »

The map icons can be mod-ed, they are just bmps
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

I was going to experiment on this.

Should I just try stretching the graphics to a uniform 125 or 150%?

Combat animations are fine, it's the display menu's that need resized.
jigsaw
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by jigsaw »

ORIGINAL: hunchback77
Don't be to upset Jigsaw, running at 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell will make the text very small,task force and ground icons tiny, your eyesight better be able to keep up. I'm finding that I don't like it as much as I thought I would at that high a resolution. Although seeing that much real estate is nice.

Ah was worried about that actually, thats a real pity! Is there any way to increase the font size I wonder...maybe the matrix guys could add some support for a larger set of fonts down the track?

Anyway thanks for the update hunchback, looks like I may just have to live with it [:)]
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: hunchback77


Don't be to upset Jigsaw, running at 2560x1600 on a 30" Dell will make the text very small,task force and ground icons tiny, your eyesight better be able to keep up. I'm finding that I don't like it as much as I thought I would at that high a resolution. Although seeing that much real estate is nice.

I have ancient, 6-YO hardware--nothing like a 30"--but I also tried out the wide screen options. I had exactly the same reaction. Map was glorious, much easier to visualize routes, relative distances between islands, etc., but working with icons and info screens was sheer work. Not fun. I went back to default. Maybe when I get a modern monitor I'll try a mid-point compromise, but for now these middle-aged eyes couldn't take it.
The Moose
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

There is an alt-font code also.
Haven't tried yet in widescreen.

Any feedback on this from anyone?
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by jwilkerson »

My main issue with playing on 1920x1200 is that the order entry screens seem slower - I assume this is because I only have 512M on my video card. I will probably wind up with multiple icons as others are doing, so I can load up the game in HIRES mode when I want an overview or LORES mode when I need to key in lots of orders.
WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
hunchback77
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 13, 2002 4:28 am
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by hunchback77 »

ORIGINAL: Halsey

There is an alt-font code also.
Haven't tried yet in widescreen.

Any feedback on this from anyone?
Try 150% and 200% for the Map Icons, Halsey, they should be easy enough to mode. The bigger problem as you stated is we need larger display menu's and text at very high resolutions, that won't be as easy. The -altFont switch does help a bit, some bigger bolder font/text would be even better.
hunchback77
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 13, 2002 4:28 am
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by hunchback77 »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

My main issue with playing on 1920x1200 is that the order entry screens seem slower - I assume this is because I only have 512M on my video card. I will probably wind up with multiple icons as others are doing, so I can load up the game in HIRES mode when I want an overview or LORES mode when I need to key in lots of orders.

LORES mode for me when entering orders, maybe HIRES mode when running turn resolution.
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

ORIGINAL: hunchback77

ORIGINAL: Halsey

There is an alt-font code also.
Haven't tried yet in widescreen.

Any feedback on this from anyone?
Try 150% and 200% for the Map Icons, Halsey, they should be easy enough to mode. The bigger problem as you stated is we need larger display menu's and text at very high resolutions, that won't be as easy. The -altFont switch does help a bit, some bigger bolder font/text would be even better.

No cigar...
Did a quick experiment with the aircraft sides and their display screens.
Everything resizes offcenter, and the text stays in the same location.

Gonna need a different solution.

Any ideas?

Yeah, the altFont needs a bolder type.
I actually prefer the standard font to the alt ones.

I'm going to try the map icons now.
I think the main issue is the unit display screens though.
User avatar
Talon_XBMCX
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:42 am

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

A little late to the update comments ... but the widescreen is absolutely outstanding!

Thank you for all your hard work and effort. It is truly appreciated!

Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

Map icon resizing is a no go too.

Individual icons have to be manually resized to stay within the outer dimensions of the current bitmaps.
That's a lot of work...
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

So I've settled for highlighting the current icons.
A lot less work.

US



Image
Attachments
US.jpg
US.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

Japanese



Image
Attachments
Japanese.jpg
Japanese.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

Icons:

Allied TF's are now Lt Grey to almost White.
Airfield are Olive Drab.
Ports are Lt Grey.

Japanese TF's are now Med Grey to Lt Grey.
Airfields are Green.
Ports are Med Grey.

Maybe I can a least pick them out now.

Or I'll have to get a new prescription for eyeglasses.[:D]
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: v1.101b Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Halsey »

One more easy fix.

Art for Japanese point to the right.
Art for the Allies point to the left.

Except the map icons don't adhere to this formula.

They do now.
Here are the Japanese map TF, and airfield icons facing to the right.




Image
Attachments
mapiconsJ.jpg
mapiconsJ.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”