News from Heroes and Leaders mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.
Post Reply
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

HaL Soviet Availability Vehicles Part 1

Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (290.81 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The Suka (SU-76M) was designed as a combination assault gun/tank destroyer on a much modified T-70 hull and chassis. The increasing effectiveness of German armor and guns soon relegated it to the infantry support role, however, where it saw widespread use. Despite all, some of the projectiles embarked by the SU-76, were anti-tank rounds in case of impromptu encounter.
Because of the few reliability of the parallel engines used on the SU-76 of which the synchronization was almost impossible, the production of the SU-76 was stopped March 21 1943 while only 350 copies had been produced. In anticipation of his offensive of summer, the GKO had little time to resolve this problem. May 17 1942, an improved version was proposed, the SU-12M or SU-76M (M = modernized) was tested and entered in production finally in June. The SU-76M was endowed with a transmission and two modernized engines installed on the hull of the SU-76. The modifications didn't correct totally the malfunctions of the SU-76. N. A. Astrov and A. A. Lipgart, GAZ plant chief engineers, chose to place the two engines in tandem on the right hand side, so to mate them more easily on a common transmission. The initial casemate roof was eliminated, replaced by a simple canvas. Mass-production of the SU-76M started as soon as February-March 1943. The production of the SU-76M started in May 1943 and ended in 1945 with a total of 11300 vehicles produced.
It was initially used in conjunction with the SU-122 on the Volkhov Front in the attempt to relieve Leningrad. To ease logistics, in mid 1943 the SU-76 were placed in their own light SPA regiments of 21 vehicles each (with each battery comprised of four vehicles). 12,671 SU-76 and ZSU-37 AA vehicles were built between 1942 and mid 1945. The SU-76 was not well-liked by its crews, as evidenced by its nickname, "Bitch".
The biggest advantages of the SU-76 were its low outline, its big mobility and its weak ground pressure that allowed to operate in the forest and marshy zones with the support of the infantry destroying all the strengthened points met.
As the first Soviet SPG, the SU-76 filled three roles in the Red Army: light assault gun, mobile anti-tank weapon and mobile gun for indirect fire. In the first case the open compartment eased communications between ground troops and battlefield awareness. It had greater firepower compared to previous infantry tanks, and was hugely popular in its close support role. However, it needed to be well defended by infantry in an urban theater, since its open compartment made it highly vulnerable to grenades and improvises explosives like Molotov cocktails, not to mention the Panzerfaust.
It could fire a large variety of ammo, ranging from the usual armor-piercing rounds, hollow charge, high explosive, fragmentation, shrapnel and incendiary rounds. As a tank-hunter, the high velocity of the gun, reinforced by APCR ammunition, could easily destroy any German tank up to the Panther (shot in the flank of rear), but instructions were given to aim at the Tiger’s tracks or gun barrel. It was also well suited for ambushes, having a low profile easy to camouflage and low noise level. It was also fast in reverse if needed. Another advantage procured by the large tracks and low ground pressure was its ability to sneak out through swamps, as it showed during the Belarus liberation campaign in 1944.
In 1943, a light artillery self-propelled regiment had 21 SU-76M. At the End of 1944 - beginning 1945, 17 self-propelled artillery batteries of 16 vehicles each were constituted and attached to the riffles divisions. In the first half of 1944, the light self-propelled artillery brigades of the reserve of the High Command (RGK) were created with each 16 SU-76M and 5 T-70.
At the end of the second World War, the Red army had 119 light self-propelled artillery regiments and 7 self-propelled artillery brigades.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (63.62 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The German met a lot of successes with their assault guns StuG III very effective and not very costly. The Russians that lacked this vehicle kind endow with a fight compartment more spacious, a frontal armor thicker and a more powerful armament than a classical tank. In April 1942, the GAU invited several design offices to develop an assault gun armed of a gun of 122 mm or more. All these works were coordinated by the Ministry of the tank industry (NKTP). Two of these projects were realized in metal. The first model, was the U-35 of Uralmash and the second, the SG-122(A) of factory n°592. The U-35 was a T-34 endow with a wide armored superstructure installed to the place of the fight compartment and turret. This superstructure welcomed the howitzer M-30 of 122 mm. The SG-122(A) was for its part a former German StuG III modified and equipped of the same armament that the U-35. In July 1942, the SG-122 was accepted for the service, but the experience helping was quickly considered as a failure and the lack of replacement pieces available returned its maintenance random. In December 1942, after several tests, the U-35 was accepted for the service and the GKO ordered immediately the production of the new assault gun renamed SU-122.
The SU-122 was an assault gun consisting of an M-30S field howitzer mounted on the hull and chassis of the T-34. At the end of 1942, 25 copies had been produced. From this date 1123 other specimens were made by Uralmash. In total, 1,148 were built between 1942-44.
The SU-122 had a frontal armor of 45 mm. The howitzer of 122 mm M-30 possessed an elevation from -3° to + 26° and a limited traverse on 10° of every side. If at first the SU-122 used exclusively high explosive ammo, from May 1943, it was equally endowed with anti-tank high explosive ammo (HEAT) BP-460A that noticeably improved its anti-tank capacities on longer distances. No secondary armament did not be available except the light weapons of the crew. The access to the combat compartment was done through an alone opening presents on the roof of the superstructure.
The crew was composed from five men: the driver (to the left), the gunner (to the left behind the driver, the commander (to the right) and two loaders (behind the breech). The SU-122 being based on the T-34, it preserved a lot of equipment and of mechanisms of the latter as the chassis, the suspension, the transmission-engine group,... in order to increase the production capacities and diminish the costs. It disposed equally of almost them same performances level mobility.
In December 1942, the first mixed regiment was constituted. This unity was constituted of 4 batteries of SU-76 (16+1 vehicle) and two batteries of SU-122 (8 vehicles). At the end of January 1943, two SU-122 regiments were constituted and sent in battle close to Leningrad. In March 1943, two new SU-122 regiment were sent to the front. The mixed composition SU-76-SU-122 was not very popular because of the few reliability of the SU-76 while the SU-122 was very appreciated. After, the SU-76 were reorganized in separated light self-propelled artillery regiments and the SU-122 in medium self-propelled artillery regiments. The SU-122 regiments were constituted of 4 batteries (16 SU-122 in total) and a Command T-34. Thanks to its fire power and its good protection, the SU-122 was well welcomed by the crews. The SU-122 could destroy any German tank even the Tigers to reasonable distances.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The ISU-122 & ISU-152 were continuations of the SU-152 concept, but using the IS chassis. In action, the greater armor piercing capability and longer range of the 122mm gun were complemented by the 152mm's better HE performance. They were used almost exclusively for direct fire, in the second wave of tank attacks. Their greatest liability was their ammunition capacity, which was only 30 and 20 rounds respectively. The ISU-122 and 152 were used in heavy SPA regiments (as per the SU-152), and after 1944 also in Guards heavy SPA brigades (as per the SU-100). From the end of 1943 and during 1944, the factory n°100 (ChKZ) produced 645 ISU-122, and in 1944-1945, 1400 ISU-122S.
When the Russian engineers was developing the ISU-152 on the basis of the chassis of the tank IS, it was to suggest to mount equally on the new self-propelled gun the gun of 122 mm A-19 L/46.3 to solve the lack of howitzers of 152 mm available. During the summer 1943, the design office of Chelyabinsk (SKB-2) received the order to mount this gun to the place of the ML-20S. The gun of 122 mm had the advantage to have the same mount that the howitzer of 152.4 mm. At the end of 1942, the first prototype (Obeyt 242) was finalized and tested. It was accepted for the service under the name of ISU-122.
During its service it ISU-122 was modified to improve its firepower. The gun of 122 mm A-19 was modernized first of all on the tanks IS then on the ISU-122. The gun was equipped of a new semi-automatic breech and renamed D-25S. This modernization permit to double the fire rate of the weapon this that is strong noticeable. The models equipped of this gun were baptized ISU-122S or ISU-122-2 (Obeyt 249 for the prototype). The ISU-122S was equally endowed with a new thicker mantlet.
The ISU-122 being based on the IS-2 chassis, it preserved of the latter many equipment and mechanisms. The suspension and the engine-transmission group remained unchanged even if new fuel tanks were installed. The gun of 122 mm installed in the superstructure was at the origin the A-19 model 1931/43 L/46.3 supplied with 20-30 projectiles of 122 mm. It was protected by the same mantlet that the howitzer of 152.4 mm ISU-152. This gun had a range of 13000 m and a fire rate of 2-3 rounds/minute. It was coupled with a ST-18 sight. This gun put to fire 2 -pieces rounds, semi-armor piercing and explosive or to fragmentation. The A-19 could pierce 150 mm of armor to 1000 m. The armament was completed by a heavy machine gun of 12.7 mm DShK mounted on the roof of the superstructure, supplied with 500 projectiles. This gun will be replaced by the D-25S of same caliber endowed with a semi-automatic breech that allowed a better fire rate. The D-25S was equipped equally of a new thicker mantlet and a muzzle brake. This gun had a better penetration capacity than the preceding one. It was coupled with a TSh-17 sight. It put to fire same ammo that the A-19. The crew disposed again for its defense of PPS or PPSh submachine-guns and of grenades F-1.
The access to the vehicle was done through two circular hatches with two shutters situated in the front of the roof or through a rectangular hatch with two shutters between the roof and the rear plate of the superstructure. All these hatches where mounted on hinges and had a rotary episcope. The driver had for his vision a aboard situated on the frontal plate of the superstructure.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

To the look of the success of the SU-152, the Russian engineers decided to conceive a similar vehicle on the basis of the chassis of the IS tank of which the production had just been launched to the ChKZ. Shortly after the SU-152’s deployment, the NKTP ordered design teams in Chelyabinsk, in cooperation with the Mechanized Artillery Bureau, and General F. Petrov, to design two new heavy assault guns based on the IS-2 hull on May 25th, 1943. The development for this tank was undertaken by the famous Joseph Kotin, and G.N. Moskvin as the main designer – the first prototype was ready in only a month.
The ISU-152 was an absolute nightmare for the Wehrmacht. Much like the SU-152, it was capable of blowing Tiger, Ferdinand, and Panther turrets/casemates open. However, what made the ISU-152 inherently better than the SU-152 was its superior armor and towing power. It had three major roles – assault gun, tank destroyer and mobile artillery, which made it one of the most versatile heavy vehicles of the war.
The ISU-152 was endowed with a combat compartment more spacious than the one of the SU-152, wiht a higher superstructure, more rectangular, and also featured less sloped side armor. Thicker frontal and side armor (90 mm instead of 60 mm) did not make the crew compartment any smaller, so there was still space for 20 shells of 152.4 mm for the ML-20S gun. The other main differences between the SU-152 and the IS-152 were that the suspension was lower, and a heavy, two-piece gun mantlet was bolted onto the right of the hull. It underwent factory trials in September, 1943, but a large number of problems with the design was encountered, so the design was reworked. By November 6th, 1943, an order was issued for this tank to be mass produced and it was now known as the ISU-152. Production started in December and replaced production of the SU-152 at the Chelyabinsk Kirovsk Plant. Between December 1943 and May 1945, 1885 ISU-152s were made. When production finally ended in 1947, 3242 vehicles had been produced.
The ISU-152 was hardly a different concept to other Soviet self-propelled guns. It still featured two compartments – the fighting compartment and ammo storage in the front, and engine and transmission at the back. The gun was mounted slightly off-center and could traverse 12 degrees left and right. It had 12 torsion bars, 6 road wheels, rear drive sprockets, and front idlers identical to road wheels, thus making maintenance easier. There were three internal fuel tanks – one in the rear compartment, and two in the fighting compartment. Like most late-war Soviet tanks, there were also up to four external fuel tanks that were not connected to the engine. The howitzer of 152.4 mm ML-20S installed in the superstructure was supplied with 20 projectiles of 152.4 mm. It was protected by the same mantlet that the gun of 122 mm (A-19) of ISU-122. This gun had a range of 8960 m and was coupled with KT-5 sight. This howitzer put to fire 2-pieces rounds, semi-armor piercing and high explosive or to fragmentation. The ML-20S could pierce 120 mm of armor to 1000 m. The armament was completed by a heavy machine gun of 12.7 mm DShK mounted on the roof of the superstructure, supplied with 1000 projectiles. The crew disposed again for its defense of PPS or PPSh submachine-guns and of grenades F-1.
During the production one tried to rearm the ISU-152 while using different pieces as the 152 mm BR-8 with long barrel, the 152 mm BL-10 and the 130 mm S-26. All these attempts not out passed never the stage of the prototype.
All roof hatches were fitted with periscopes, as well as there being two gun sights – a telescopic, and a panoramic ST-10. An intercom was also fitted, and each vehicle had a standard 10R or 10RK radio set. The crew was also given a pair of PPSh-41 sub-machine guns with up to 1491 rounds, as well as 20 F-1 grenades in case they needed to abandon the vehicle in combat. Giving the crew weapons was not at all an uncommon practice. Whilst at first, the ISU was based on the IS-1 hull, it was later based on the IS-2 hull in 1944, which meant that the vehicle had extra fuel capacity, a newer radio, a slightly modernized main gun, mantlet armor was increased, and finally, an AA machine gun was installed in an AA mount. Also, a fourth, round hatch was fitted at the top right of the roof, next to the rectangular hatch on the left-hand side. The later ISU-152 modifications, with newer gun and slightly longer barrel, (4.9 meters), had a maximum range of fire of up to 13,000 meters.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

After the failure of the SMK and T-100 multi-turreted heavy tanks, the Russians decided to develop a more conventional heavy tank, the KV (Klementi Vorochilov - commisar of the people for the defense) that was realized with only one turret, armed of two coaxial guns, one of 76.2 mm and the other of 45 mm. The armament was supplemented by a machine-gun of 7.62 mm DT assembled on the hull. It kept of SMK, the hull, the transmission, the equipment of optics. It was propelled by powerful diesel V-12 V-2K. September 5, 1939, it was sent in Moscow and was presented at the Soviet government the 25 of the same month. October 8 it was returned to Leningrad to be tested there. When the Winter War, KV was sent to the front with the SMK (91st Bataillon of tank and 20th Brigade of heavy tanks). KV showed its superiority on the SMK. On the ground, changes were made to KV. Indeed the gun of 45 mm was removed and replaced by a machine-gun of 7.62 mm DT and another machine-gun was placed at the rear of the turret. December 19, 1939, KV was officially baptized KV-1 and accepted for the service in the Red Army.
The KV-1 was produced only by one factory, the factory n°100 Kirovsky of Leningrad (LKZ). This factory in 1941, will amalgamate with other factories and will be relocated behind the Ural to Chelyabinsk (ChKZ or Tankograd). The first model called KV-1 model 1939 was produced with approximately 100 specimens in 1940 by the LKZ. The second model called KV-1E model 1940 was produced to several thousands of specimens by the LKZ during spring and the summer 1941, the third model called KV-1 model 1941 was it also produced to several thousands of specimens in 1941-1942 by the LKZ then by ChKZ. The only precise figures of were provided for KV-1S model 1942 which was produced to 1370 specimens from August 1942 to April 1943 by ChKZ.
In May 1940, a first production plan envisaging 200 units was accepted but the tests on the tank had however not been finished and of defects still remained. The tests will begin again in May 1940 in Kubinka and in the area of Leningrad. After the KV-1 was tested on 2648 km, many technical problems in particular to the level of the transmission, gear box and chassis were discovered. However the production was launched and was not stopped, although the engineers of the SKB proposed to make it to correct these defects.
The KV-1 was produced until 1942 and was modified little. These modifications however will give rise to 4 models of KV-1. In February 1940, the KV-1 was used for the very first time at the combat in Finland. At the time of the beginning of Barbarossa, the Russians had 635 specimens and at the time of the battle of Moscow 1364. At the beginning of 1943, because of the performances of the German anti-tank weapons, the production of the KV-1 was stopped and the it-last was replaced by the KV-85 on the assembly lines.
The KV caused great consternation amongst the Germans when they first en-countered it. Barring a lucky track hit, it was almost totally invulnerable to all German guns save the 88s and large caliber artillery pieces. Its chief drawbacks were a poor turret layout and the fact that it was both extremely tiring to drive and unwieldy in action (the KV's turret had a three-man crew, but its turret configuration precluded the commander's being Open Topped while the MA was being used). 508 KV were in service on June 22. 3,015 KV-1 types were built. Most Soviet independent tank battalions and brigades in the 1941-42 period contained a mixture of KV, T-34, and recon tanks. Soviet heavy tank platoons consisted of only two tanks each, with five tanks per company. 'The KVs' first major combat came with the German invasion, although a few KV-1 Model 1939 prototypes saw action near Summa, Finland, as early as 12/39.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

In 1941 came a new model equipped with the very new gun of 76.2 mm ZIS-5 (sometimes F-34). Separately the gun and a weight of 45000 kg, it had there so to speak no difference if not the machine-gun of hull, between the model 1939 and the model 1941.
In July 1941, F-32 itself was replaced by the new gun of 76.2 mm ZIS-5 similar to F-34 which equipped T-34/76 (and some KV-1). This new gun was installed in a new cast turret (the preceding one was welded) with a thicker shielding. This gun equipped KV-1 model 1941 and KV-1s model 1942. KV-1S accepted a new cast turret with cupola of commander
The armament of the turret was supplemented by two machine-guns of 7.62 mm DT. The first was assembled coaxially to the gun of 76.2 mm, whereas the second was assembled on ball mount to the back of the turret. The turrets of various versions of the KV-1 were angular except for that of KV-1s which was of round form.
The standard engine of the KV-1 is diesel V-12 V-2K (water-cooled) developing 600 hp to 2000 rpm. This engine was installed in the back compartment with the transmission. The KV-1 transported 600 L of diesel in its inboard fuel tanks but could be also equipped with external fuel tanks. The 600 L allowed him an autonomy on road of 250 km. The diesel engine was not very greedy and consumed only 240L/100 km. Because of its weight, the KV-1 could only reach the 35 km/h on road. To make of KV-1 a more faster tank, the engineers created a new model, KV-1s equipped with a shielding less important and equipped with the new diesel V12 V-2Ks engine. This engine always developed 600 hp but to only 1900 rpm. Thanks to these changes, KV-1s could from now reach the 43 km/h on road.
The suspension of the KV-1 was with torsion bars. There was each side 6 small double road wheels with steel bindings, a front double idler and a rear double sprocket-wheel like three double return rollers. It is interessant to note that the road wheels were laid out in an unequal way throughout lower hull.
The KV-1 was equipped with steel tracks 650 mm broad with center guides. These tracks included each one 87 sections. The tracks were in contact with the ground on 4.33 m. The tracks of 650 mm offered a pressure on the ground of 0.77 kg/cm2. KV-1s was equipped with tracks 670 mm broad offering a pressure on the ground less: 0.73 kg/cm2.
By afterwards with the increase in the effectiveness and the fire power in the German anti-tank guns, the KV-1 lost a part of its invincibility but however kept throughout its career an excellent protection global. Still let us note that the armor-plates were welded enters for the hull, just as for the turret. However, the KV-1 1941 and KV-1S will be equipped with cast turrets.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

In December 1941, the factory n°200 proposed a new cast turret similar to that of the KV-1 model 1941, but reinforced with a shielding reaching from now 120 mm. However thanks to a good distribution of the shielding the mass is not increased for the turret. The new turret was protected by a broader ring and the back machine-gun had a collar of shielding. The rear deck was replaced by an armor plate easier to manufacture, and the maximum shielding of the hull passes to 110 mm. This increase of the shielding overloads the road-wheels and a new cast model with "wings", more resistant (but also more economic) was thus designed to compensate.
The model 1942 was essentially a late up-armored model (10-15 mm), either with a cast or welded turret. This was also the biggest production of the type, with around 1700 units. They were also all armed with the 76.2 mm ZiS-5 and sometimes equipped with AA mounts. However, criticism about the series prompted parallel studies to improve the KV-1 as a whole. These reports stated that its only asset was excellent protection, however, speed and agility were poor, the transmission proved often prone to break downs, the suspensions, crumbling under the raising weight also showed critical stress failures, as well as the overwhelmed engine (the V12 V-2K, a modified version of the T-34 diesel). Final weight of this 1942 version was around 48 tons. Only the German Tiger was equivalent in weight, but was equipped with better optics and a gun which far outclassed anything on the field. This led to the two last improved versions of the type, before the production really stopped in favor of better designs.
The engine of the KV-1 was surmounted by a rear deck (which made a projection over the rear of lower hull) made up of two plates. The plate just behind the turret was provided with two grids of ventilation, a trap door bolted between the grids (with a broad lid in the shape of dome protecting the air intake of the ventilator) and two small pipes of ventilation. The other plate, bolted, was equipped with two small trap doors of maintenance. The back plate of the lower hull was equipped only with two loops of towing.
The shielding of the KV-1 was very heavy for a tank of this time. Let us recall that the KV-1 were conceived at the beginning of the war. With a shielding frontal (and side) of 75 mm, it was quasi indestructible for the German anti-tank weapons of this time. Indeed the guns of 37 mm and 75 mm (with short barrel) of Panzers III and IV could not bore the frontal plates of the KV-1. The situation was still worse with the KV-1E which was equipped with a appliqué armor (additional plates) of 35 mm, which made a shielding frontal of 110 mm (like the Tiger). Of course the price to be paid was at the level of mobility and the KV-1 could not support the comparison with T-34 on this level. To solve this problem, the Russian engineers will reduce (on KV-1s) the thickness of the shielding to the level of the lower hull mainly, allowing to recover some km/h.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

Up-armoring of the KV was started even before Operation Barbarossa, based on faulty intelligence reports that the Germans were massively up-gunning their tanks. Moreover, as new German weapons and ammunition were encountered, the Soviets introduced further modifications and retrofitted many of the surviving older KV with various types of applique armor. Each successive addition to their weight engendered a further loss of mobility however—and although the front lines were calling for faster tanks with thicker armor, the critical shortage of heavy tanks meant that the current models had to remain in production and could only be improved through expediencies. Due to their hampering of operations when used with the faster T-34, from 7/42 KV were placed in separate independent heavy tank regiments of 21 KV each.
In 1940 came a new model equipped with additional armor-plates and with a new 76.2 mm gun, the KV-1E (E for "s ekranami" = shielding applied). These 35mm thickness plates were bolted on the frontal plate of the lower hull, the frontal plate of the superstructure, the sides of the superstructure and the turret. This new model was armed with the gun of 76.2 mm F-32 (improved ammunition) in a new cast turret. The increase in the shielding made pass the weight of the tank to 47500 kg, which reduced its maximum speed (30 km/h in the place of 35 km/h). To supplement the armament a machine-gun of hull on ball mount was installed on the frontal plate of the superstructure, on the right.
The crew of the KV-1 was composed of 5 men of which three had sat in the compartment of combat: the driver (mechanic), the copilot and the radio operator. The driver had sat in the center, in front and one can see his armored port of vision on the frontal plate of the superstructure. For its vision, he had in addition one periscope on the front deck, slightly shifted towards the right. The single headlight of the KV-1 was located on the right of the port of vision. On the KV-1 1939, there was no bow machine-gun, but on the other models a machine-gun DT of 7.62 mm was installed on ball mount, to the left of the port of vision. To reach the inside of the hull, a round hatch was present on the front deck. The KV-1 had a gear box comprising 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse, this box was of bad quality, which strongly handicapped the KV-1 during all its service. The steering was given while slowing down on one of the two tracks or by modifying the power transmitted to the one of the back sprocket-wheels.
The remainder of the front compartment was devoted to the station of combat. The KV-1 did not have a well of turret, which wants to say that the commander-loader and the gunner were upright on the floor of the station of combat at the time of engagements. They thus followed the rotation of the turret while going on this floor which was encumbered by various equipment such as for example the ammunition stowage. The KV-1 transported in its ammunition stowage, 111 rounds of 76.2mm (guns L-11 and F-32) or 114 rounds of 76.2 mm (F-34 guns and ZIS-5). On KV-1s armed with the ZIS-5, there were only 102 projectiles of 76.2 mm. For its machine-guns of 7.62 mm DT, the KV-1 had 3024 cartridges. The station of combat was separated from the engine compartment by a wall fire protection. At the external level, the nose of the hull was of form pointed and equipped with two loops of towing. The first KV-1 were armed with the gun of 76.2 mm L-11 L/30.5 Model 1938/39. From the end of 1940, it was replaced by the gun of 76.2 mm more modern F-32 (KV-1E 1940.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (71.53 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

By mid 1942 the number of Soviet tanks was again on the increase, and this luxury allowed the KV-1S to be introduced in order to increase the mobility of the heavy tank. In some ways it was a retrograde step, since its armor had to be drastically thinned; however, its new three-man turret freed the commander of his distracting need to also be the loader. During the summer 1942, the prototype was tested and in August 20, 1942, the production began. However at the time of its appearance, the Red Army had an urgent need for better protected tanks! Its production was removed in April 1943. 1,232 KV-1S were built.
This version was equipped with a turret slightly smaller (with cupola of commander) as well as lighter shielding on certain parts. The gun was as on the model of 1941, 76.2 mm ZIS-5. This new model also was equipped with a version improved of the diesel engine V12 V-2K, V-2K-s (from where the "S" (skorostnoy or speed) of KV-1S). This engine always developed 600 hp but with only 1900 rpm with the place of 2000 for the V-2K. The road wheels were to replace by lighter and new 670 mm broad tracks were installed. The gear box was also replaced. All these changes made it possible to KV-1s to reach the 43 km/h on road.
L-11 and F-32 were equipped with telescopic sight TOD-6 and two panoramic periscopes PT-6 whereas F-34 and the ZIS-5 were equipped with telescopic sight TMFD and two panoramic periscopes PTK. On the roof of the turret came to be added 4 fixed episcopes and on each side a slit of vision. The access to the turret was done via the hatch of the commander on the roof. Let us note that on KV-1s, there were two hatches of access (cupola of commander (with 6 fixed episcopes) and hatch of the gunner).
The KV-1 with its gun of 76.2 mm and its maximum shielding of 75 mm was quite unpleasant surprise for the Germans who discovered it at the same time as T-34. Indeed no German gun with share the anti-aircraft gun of 88 mm, was able to bore the shielding of the KV-1 and especially not the too insufficient guns of 37 mm and 50 mm of Panzer III and even the short tube court of the 75 mm gun of Panzer IV. With its advantage, in more of a thick shielding, broad tracks, a good armament, a good diesel engine and an excellent suspension. The situation was such as only one KV-1 stopped all Panzertruppe during a whole day close to Ostrov (Baltic states). It was destroyed the following day by an anti-aircraft gun of 88 mm (only weapon able to bore its shielding) but after having destroyed 7 German tanks, an anti-tank battery, 1 anti-aircraft gun of 88 mm, 4 half-tracked Sd.Kfz.251 and 12 trucks. At this time 508 KV-1 were available and they were only used to support units of lighter armored tanks. The KV-1 were finally neutralized by the Germans because of the lack of coordination (only the tanks of command had a radio station!) who allowed to the Germans to employ despaired solutions as the installation of mines behind the turret or the introduction of hand grenades into the tubes of the guns whereas the breakdowns and other engine trouble made the remainder (the KV-1 will suffer during all its career from brittleness of its gear box and from the double role of the commander). In fact the Russians lost more KV-1 because of engine trouble than by the action of the enemy.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (67.55 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The KV-2 was designed as a "bunker-buster", the need for which was discovered during the war against Finland in 1939. During this war, the high command issued that the Red Army had an urgent need for a heavy tank equipped with a more powerful armament to destroy the enemy fortifications (bunkers...). Four KV-1 were diverted to be tested with the heavy howitzer of 152 mm. They were the engineers of the KTZ which was charged to realize this conversion. After only two weeks, the project was finalized on paper. Initially it was the howitzer of 152 mm model 1909/1930 which was selected but the latter was quickly replaced by M-10 model 1938/1940, more modern. Of course, to accommodate this imposing weapon, a new turret (MT-1) was to be created. While it was an effective weapon versus static emplacements, its lumbering bulk was the complete opposite of what was needed during the mobile defensive battles of 1941, and it was quickly phased out of production. One prototype saw action in Finland in February 1940, around Summa. The KV-2's massive turret was difficult to traverse—especially if the tank was not on level ground.
At the beginning of 1941, the project was renamed KV-2. The imposing turret of the KV-2 was assembled on the hull of a KV tank experimental with double turrets. The first tests on this machine had been carried out on February 10, 1940. The tests on defense works were excellent and the KV-2 was thus accepted for the production. A total od 334 specimens of the KV-2 were produced in 1940-1941 in LKZ (Leningrad). Two models were created. The KV-1A (model 1940) had a too heavy turret which could be moved only on flat ground. The production of this model was abandoned end 1941. The KV-2B had a larger mantlet with a rounded shield. It weighed 4 tons more than model A and some were equipped with flame thrower. The KV-2B was carried out starting from the hull of the KV-1A. During the production, an additional machine-gun was installed.
The howitzer of 152 mm M-10 put at fire only high-explosive rounds of 52 kg (with reduced propellant charge) with a muzzle velocity of 436 m/s. The other ammunition of 152 mm were prohibited by the manual like the piercing or anti-concrete rounds. The KV-2 transported 36 rounds of 152 mm and 3087 rounds of 7.62 mm for its machine-guns DT (front hull, back of the turret). The crew of the KV-2 was composed of 6 men: the commander of the tank, the chief of shooting, the loader, the gunner, the driver and the radio-machine gunner. The four first with the howitzer were installed in the imposing (and very high) turret. To reach the trap doors on the roof , levels were laid out on the sides of the turret. This turret was not really a success, indeed, any traverse was impossible on soft and rough ground because of the weight and its height made KV-2 an easy target.
The KV-2 weighed 52 tons and was 7 m long. It had a 3.30 m height and a width of 3.25 m. It was propelled by a diesel engine V-12 V-2K developing 600 hp to 2000 rpm. It transported 600 L of diesel, which allowed him an autonomy on road of 250 km. Because of its weight, the KV-2 could hardly exceed the 26 km/h on road, which made a very slow vehicle of it. For the remainder, the design of the hull, respected that of the KV-1. The suspension always included 6 independent double-road wheels assembled on torsion bars, 3 double-return rollers, a front double-idler and a back double-sprocket-wheel. The tracks had a width of 650 mm.
On the level of the shielding of the hull, not change compared to the KV-1. For the turret made up of perfectly vertical walls, its thickness was of 75 mm. The mantlet had thickness a 110 mm and the roof a 40 mm thickness.
The KV-2 inherited the defects of design of the KV-1, in particular on the level of the transmission and the chassis. Let us add, a too heavy and not very handy turret , a too high silhouette making of him an easy target and one understands quickly that this model wasn't a great success. However, it created because of its imposing mass, a true agitation within the German tank crewmen at the time of its appearance on the battle fields in 1941. It should be said that in more of its impressive dimensions, this monster was safe from all the German anti-tank weapons of the time and only the anti-aircraft gun of 88 mm could bore its shielding.
The Germans of Panzer-Regiment 11, 6th Panzerdivision (Panzer-Gruppe 4), were the first to meet the KV-2 (2nd Russian armored division), June 25, 1941. They knew many difficulties vis-a-vis to these monsters however slow and badly designed. In fact the majority of the lost KV-2 were it because of engine and mechanic trouble or fuel shortage. In October 1941, the production of the KV-2 was abandoned.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The KV-1 was also chosen to be used as platform for the new ATO-41 flame-thrower. The gun mantlet accommodated the flamethrower tube, a coaxial DT machine-gun and, replacing the former ZiS-5 gun, a 45 mm QF model 1932 in disguise, housed inside a 76 mm tube. The gun was standard issue on the BT series and the T-26, and had good penetration power against 20-25 mm of armor. 45 units were converted using KV-1B hulls (model 1941), and later on, 25 more based on the upgraded KV-1S. Two prototypes of the next version (KV-1M) and a few experimental units with the flame-thrower was relocated in the hull were also built and tested in combat.
The flame throwers were generally used against heavy entrenchments because of their great psychological effects. One thus decided to mount on the KV-1 a such equipment. Work on this conversion called KV-8 began in November 1941 in Chelyabinsk (ChKZ). Before light tanks as T-26 were used as bases for such conversion, but they were protected too little. Indeed the flame-thrower tanks were top priority for the German anti-tank guns. Unfortunately on the KV-1, it was not possible to install the gun of 76.2 mm and the ATO-41 flame-thrower together in the turret and the gun of 76.2 mm was removed to the profit of the gun of 45 mm M1932 less cumbersome. So that this change is not too visible for the enemy a factitious tube was installed on the tube of the 45 mm to simulate the 76.2 mm. The KV-8 transported 92 rounds of 45 mm and 960L of a flammable mixture allowing 107 projections. The armament was supplemented by a machine-gun of 7.62 mm DT assembled in front of the hull and by another machine-gun DT assembled to the back of the turret. Certain models were equipped with an anti-aircraft machine-gun. The total of transported ammunition of 7.62mm were of 3400 rounds.
Lance-flame ATO-41 assembled coaxially, had a rate of shooting of 3 projections every 10 seconds. Each projection consumed 10L of flammable liquid. The production of the KV-7 began in 1942. Compared to the OT-34 (version lance-flame of T-34), the KV-8 embarked more flammable liquid. The two tanks were versed in independent flame thrower battalions. Each battalion was equipped with 2 companies of KV-8 (2x10) and 1 company of OT-34. When the production of the KV-1 was cancelled, KV-1s was used to realize the conversion and the new model was baptized KV-8s. KV-8s transported 114 rounds of 45 mm, 600L of flammable liquid (60 projections). Still let us note that during the production the ATO-41 was replaced by the ATO-42.
Vis-a-vis with the increase in the calibers and performances of the German anti-tank weapons, the KV-1 was replaced on the assembly lines at the beginning of 1943 by the KV-85 but continued its service in the Red Army until the battle of Berlin.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

Designed as a countermeasure to the latest German AFVs, the SU-85 was essentially an SU-122 up-gunned by mounting a derivative of the 85mm AA gun. Used in tank destroyer battalions of 16 vehicles each (21 from 1944), it first saw combat during the forcing of the Dnepr River. With the advent of the T-34/85, the gun of the SU-85 became redundant and it was eventually superseded in production by the SU-100. A total of 2,050 were built. The SU-85 were affected on this basis to every mechanized and armored corps.
When the Tiger arrived on the battle fields of the eastern front in January 1943, it caused a big fear among the Russian High Command because its armor was too thick for any Soviet tank in service to this era. The more common guns, the 76.2 mm F-34 (T-34/76) and the 76.2 mm ZIS-5 (KV-1) could not hope to pierce the armor of a Tiger than to suicidal distances. The howitzer M-30 of 122 mm mounted on the SU-122 could equally pierce the armor of a Tiger but with a very weak fire rate and with a curved trajectory, this that did SU-122 a too easy target for the Tiger. The alone really effective weapons were the anti-aircraft guns of 85 mm and of 122 mm A-19. May 5 1943, the GKO gave the order to the design office of F.F. Petrov to adapt the canon of 85 mm models 1939 to have brought up on the SU-122.
The SU-85 standard was based on the SU-122, endow with a frontal armor of 45 mm and was armed with the 85 mm D-5S gun of Petrov. This was the more common and used version. The production of the SU-85 was realized by Uralmash until the arrival of a more powerful model, the SU-100. Altogether 2329 SU-85 were produced by this factory to from August 1943 to July 1944.
The transmission, the engine and the suspension was unchanged in comparison with the SU-122 basic itself on the T-34, this that facilitated big the formation of the crews and maintenance. Besides the rear compartment (engine-transmission) was the same as the one of the T-34. The performances to the level mobility of the SU-85 were rather similar to the one of the T-34.
The superstructure was at the origin was endowed with a simple hatch for the commander that next was replaced by a commander's cupola, equally mounted on the T-34/76 model 1943. For his vision, the crew could used the prismatic instruments of vision present on the left side and the back. Other instruments of this type were installed by after allowing a circular vision more correct. The SU-85 was at the front as the SU-122 equipped with an armored driver's window.
The SU-85 was used for the 1st times at the time of the crossing of the Dniepr in September 1943. The SU-85 was quickly a tank destroyer very popular within the Red army because of its powerful anti-tank gun able to penetrate frontal armor of the tanks Tigers and Panthers to long distances.
The SU-85 was very effective as defensive weapon, being able to destroy targets to very long distances, but were equally very useful as support tank at the time of the armored assaults as for example during the Soviet summer offensive of 1944.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (60.55 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SU-100 was essentially an up-gunned SU-85, using an adapted 100mm naval gun. Only from late 1944 to mid 1945, a total of 1,675 SU-100 were built . The production of the SU-100 started from December 1944 and this one continued to Uralmash to March 1946. Uralmash realized a total of 3037 copies of this powerful tank destroyer.
It was used in Tank Destroyer Battalions of 21 vehicles each, and in Guards Heavy SPA Brigades with 65 SU-100s and 3 SU-76s. From December 1944, some regiments and brigades of the medium self-propelled artillery were re-armed with SU-100. Every regiment was endowed with 4 batteries composed each of 5 SU-100 and 1 SU-76 (or T-34) of command. A brigade possessed 65 SU-100. January 8 1945, the SU-100 known its baptism of the fire in Hungary. It was used in mass to oppose the German counter-offensive of the lake Balaton in March 1945 in Hungary. The SU-100 had an excellent firepower coupled to a very good mobility.
In order to endow the Soviet armored forces of a tank destroyers more powerful than the SU-85, the Russian engineers developed around a powerful anti-tank canon of 100 mm similar to the B-34 naval, a new killer of tank. The plans of the new model were sent to the Ministry of the industry of the armored vehicles (NKTP) and to the Department of the self-propelled artillery in December 1943. December 28 1943, the NKTP ordered to Uralmash to mount the gun of 100 mm on the new vehicle. Nevertheless it was obvious that it was impossible to mount the 100 mm S-34 because of the width of the gun, limiting too strongly the lateral movements of this one, and rendering impossible the installation of the driver's window on the frontal plate of the superstructure. Many and costly modifications were necessary to install this gun but the TsAKB (Central study office of the artillery) wanted absolutely this gun.
Uralmash asked to the design office of Petrov (Factory n°9) to conceive a new gun of 100 mm, and this that was done towards the half of 1944. The new gun based on the B-34 naval was named D-10. The version for tank was baptized D-10T and the version for self-propelled gun was baptized D-10S. The D-10 had the advantage to be lighter than the S-34 and especially to be able to be installed on existing hulls without a lot of modifications. March 3 1944, the first prototype equipped of the 100 mm D-10S was tested on the Uralmash grounds (150 km race and 30 shots). It next was sent to governmental tests close to Gorokhovets. Between the 9 and March 7 1944, the prototype there was tested. During these tests, it realized 1040 shots and rolled on 864 km. The new tank destroyer finally was named SU-100 and recommended for the mass production under reserves of some modifications. April 14 1944, Uralmash received the order to begin the production.
The mass production of the SU-100 was delayed many times because of the problems linked to the production of the BR-412B amour piercing ammo, very complex to realize. The final result was often poor quality and the effectiveness of the munitions some was gravely impaired. This big problem was solved in November December 1944. To this era the production of the SU-85M was stopped and replaced by the one of the SU-100.
The SU-100 was similar to the SU-85 based on the T-34. The hull was the one of the SU-85 but frontal armor was increased to 75 mm, and this that overloaded the two first pairs of road wheels of the suspension. The diameter of the springs of these road wheels were increased and passed of 30 mm to 34 mm but the first road wheels remained overloaded. An new commander's cupola was installed on the roof as well as an observation instrument Mk-IV and a pair new fans. The disposal was classical, a fight compartment to the front, and a compartment for engine-transmission group to the back. The latter welcomed equally the friction-clutch, the gearbox (5-1) and two side friction-clutches, two fuel tanks and a pair of air-filters.
The gun of 100 mm D-10S had a provision of 18 armor piercing projectiles (BR-412B) and of 15 high explosive with fragmentation projectiles (OF-412). The BR-412B had an initial velocity of 895 m/s and could pierce 100 mm of armor plating to 1500 m. This tank hunter could penetrate frontal armor of any German AFV from 2000 m. The D-10S was equipped of two sight, a periscopic sight and a panoramic sight. The fight compartment welcomed also tank controls, the munitions, the radio and the front fuel tanks.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The ZIS-5 was a truck 4x2 that was produced between 1933 and 1958 to about 83,000 copies. It was propelled by a 6 cylinders engine developing 73 hp to 2300 rpm (76 hp to 2400 rpm for the modernized version of the years 50) and was endowed with a gearbox with 4 reports. The ZIS-5 measured in length 6.060 m, in width 2.235 m, in height 2.160 m and weighed 3100 kg (maximum weight for trailer was 3500 kg). The ZIS-5 embarked 60L of gasoline (consumption 34L / 100 km).
In 1931 Moscow Avtomobilnoe Moskovskoe Obshchestvo (AMO Moscow Automotive Enterprise) truck plant was re-equipped and expanded with the help of the American A.J. Brandt Co., and began to produce a new truck with designation of AMO-2. AMO-2 was intended as a replacement of the previous AMO-F15, the first Soviet truck ever built (it was a copy of the Italian Fiat F-15). Soon AMO-2 was improved, and new models AMO-3 and AMO-4 appeared. In 1933 AMO was rebuilt again and renamed into Factory No. 2 Zavod Imeni Stalina (or Plant of Stalin's Name, abbreviated in ZIS or ZiS) and in Summer first prototypes of the new ZIS-5 appeared.
Serial production of the new truck started on October 1, 1933. The truck was an instant success and, which together with GAZ-AA, became the main Soviet truck of 1930-50's. It also evolved into the workhorse of the Soviet armed forces: at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa the Red Army could line up 104,200 of those trucks. Facing the German invasion, in the autumn of 1941 the production line at Moscow plant was stopped and ZIS was moved to Ulyanovsk (on the Volga) and to Miass (in the Chelyabinsk region of the Urals). Production at Ulyanovsk UASZIS lasted from February 1942 to 1944, while UralZIS at Ulyanovsk it began in July 1944; UralZIS fitted the truck radiators with own label and produced it until 1955, well after the end of the war. In the meantime Moscow ZIS plant had restarted production of these trucks in April 1942, and continued until 1948, when the new ZIS-50 (ZIS-5 with new engine) appeared.
At the end of 1941 war shortages of raw materials forced to change the construction of ZIS-5. All changes were focused on simplifying its construction: the round, stamped wings were replaced with flat, bended ones, cabs and foot boards were now made from wood, brakes were removed from front wheels, rear body had the tailgate swinging only. Sometimes also the right headlight was removed, while bumpers were omitted from these versions. The simplified model, designated ZIS-5V, was produced since May 1942 in Ulyanovsk, and later also in Moscow and Miass. Overall production scored about 1 million units (all plants), with ZIS alone producing 532,311 samples.
During the war the ZIS-5 was used on all fronts, where it was greatly appreciated for its remarkably simple and reliable construction. Apart from cargo duties, the ZIS-5 was used as a light artillery tractor and for troops transportation (25 soldiers could seat in five benches placed in the rear body). ZIS-5 served also as base for many special trucks, like refuellers, field workshops, ambulances, porter guns or AA platforms.
After the GAZ-AA, the ZIS-5 was the 2nd most used Red Army truck of 1933-1943 period. The intensive growth of Lend Lease trucks shipping in 1943-1944 did not affect the first line use of the "Tryohtonka" (as soldiers called the ZIS-5 for its 3-ton payload), while GAZ-AA got somewhat phased out to secondary roles.
The ZIS-5 showed remarkable service on the "Road of Life", the only supply line to the besieged city of Leningrad, opened on the frozen surface of the Ladoga Lake in the winter months during 1941–1944. This truck have a nickname Zakhar.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The ZIS-42 half-track army tractor was built from 1942 to 1944. It shares the cab and front end with the ZIS-5. During war years such amenities as windshield wipers, bumpers and right head light were omitted, and plentiful Russian wood replaced hard to get steel that was needed for tanks and artillery. Despite being a half-track, the ZIS-42 remained a cargo truck and was never armored as the American and German half-tracks. The ZIs-42 was built in response to the Red Army’s demand for a truck that wouldn’t get bogged down in the Russian snow drifts of winter and the muddy roads of spring.
The ZIS-42 was the conversion of the truck ZIS-5 produced to 5931 copies (ZIS-42 and ZIS-42M) between 1942 and 1944. The ZIS-42M was the result of modernization of the ZIS-42. The ZIS-42 was propelled by a 6 cylinders engine developing 73 hp to 2300 rpm while the ZIS-42M was propelled by a 6 cylinders engine developing 85 cv to 2600 rpm. The ZIS-42 weighed 5250 kg and measured in length 6.095 m, in width 2.360 m and in height 2.950 m. The ZIS-42 could attain a speed of 45 km/h. The ZIS-42 had a gasoline consumption of 55 L/100 km while the ZIS-42M had a consumption of 60 L/100 km. Especially used as carrier or tractor or certain nevertheless were converted in mobile platform for anti-aircraft guns or machine guns.
The ZIS-42 was not as good as it was expected. It had problems through snowfields and swamps. That is why there wasn’t any more attempts to combine wheels and tracks after the ZIS-42. That is why there wasn't any more attempts to combine wheels and tracks after ZIS-42 and GAZ-60 in Soviet Union and seems in Germany (Opel-Blitz Maultier) too. It was produced in 1942 –1943, and had a more powerful ZIS-16 engine and a number of small improvements (for example: a protective style grill in front of the radiator and headlight). Due to the fact that the ZIS-42M version consumed 55 to 60 liters of fuel per 100 km traveled on roads, the trucks were equipped with a 300 liter capacity fuel tank. From 1942 until 1944 production of ZIS-42 and ZIS-42M trucks amounted to 5,931 pieces. Perhaps the last ZIS-42 was still serving for one of factories in 1961 in Kameshkovo district of Vladimir region.
ZIS stands for “Factory named after Stalin.” After de Stalinization, they changed the name to “Factory named after Lenin,” which some might recognize as the ZIL factory. In the autumn of 1941 the production line in Moscow was stopped due to the threat of the advancing Nazis and ZIS was moved east to Ulianovsk and to Ural, to Miass, Chelyabinsk region. This last plant started production in 1944 and became the UralZIS or UralAZ plant that up to this day is in the business of making trucks, the circa 1963 URAL 4320 being their main staple.
The Ulianovsk plant became UASZIS or UAZ and produced trucks from February 1942 until its closure in 1955. The Moscow plant was reopened in April 1942 remained open until 1948. Every one of these plants used their own trademark labels on the radiators. Political correctness does not only afflict the Western democracies but is found in totalitarian regimes too. In 1956 ZIL replaced the ZIS name. Stalin was dead and the Kremlin felt that the teachings of Comrade Lenin had been neglected during Stalin’s years, so the truck plant was renamed ZIL for Zavod imeni Lihacheva (Lihachev's or Lenin’s Plant).


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

In the early 1930s, the Yaroslavl state motor vehicle plant (»YaG« or »YaGAZ«) produced the first domestic heavy trucks of the Soviet Union. While the vehicles up to YaG-3 were equipped with Autocar licensed AMO engines, the engineers switched to the domestic ZiS-5 engine from Model YaG-4 on. Even the American Herkules YXC power plant was used in small amounts.
It was widely used in the prewar Red Army who had some 1600 samples in their inventory when the Great Patriotic war began. A total 8,075 YaG-6 trucks were produced. Also 50 YaG-6 trucks were built with Hercules-YXC-B engine which had 93,5 hp power output at 2200 rpm.
The YaG-6 was a Russian 4x2 heavy truck produced between 1936 and 1942 at the Yaroslavl plant (YaG means Yaroslavskiy Gruzovik). It does not show up frequently in wartime pictures, probably overwhelmed by the thousands of Gaz and Zis lighter trucks operating along the front and in the rearguard. All in all, it was a sturdy and slow workhorse of the Red Army. Maximum speed was 40 km/h, while maximum payload was 5000 kilograms. It also served as a base for other versions, such as the bus and the gasoline tanker.
YaG-6 was most numerous pre-war truck of Yaroslavl plant, although even YaG-6 was quite rare.
Main data:
Engine: ZiS-5 73hp/2300rpm, 6-cyl 4-stroke, 5555cc (dry weight - 434kg)
Length: 6500mm, width: 2500mm, height: 2550mm
Platform inner dimensions: length - 3780mm, width - 2330mm, board height - 600mm
Turning radius: 9000mm on front wheel track
Carburetor: MKZ-6, updraft vertical, with economizer and controllable accelerating pump
Clutch: dry twin plate
Gearbox: ZiS-5 4 speeds
Front suspension: 2 longitudinal semielliptical springs
Rear suspension: 2 longitudinal semielliptical springs with additional springs
Mechanical only-rear-wheels shoe brakes with vacuum booster
Weight: 4930kg
Maximal speed: 40 km/h
Tires: 40x8 inches
Fuel tank capacity: 177 L
Fuel consumption: 40 L/100km
Cooling system capacity: 23 L


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The GAZ–MM is a truck with a maximum usable weight of 1.5 tons and was produced at the end of the 1930s and at the first part of the 1940s by GAZ in the Soviet Union. It is a simplified version of Ford Model AA’s Soviet license version. At the beginning of World War II more than 150,000 were in use with the Red Army. In fact, the GAZ–MM was just a designation of a strengthened 50 HP engine, introduced in 1938, while in factory documents these trucks were still designated as GAZ AA. This name is especially used to describe a simplified wartime model, produced from a beginning of 1942. In some series there were no doors, front brakes, front bumpers, front stamped fenders were replaced with plain welded ones, and only one headlight remained. From mid-1942 the trucks had wooden doors, with sliding parts of windows.
Around the late 1920s, the Soviet Union was undergoing a mechanization revolution and realized that no purpose-built motor vehicles were available for them to help move cargo and materiel back and forth from point one to point two. The result was the GAZ-AAA truck, which was a truck based off the Ford Model AAA 6x4 truck. These trucks entered production in 1932, and were used in multiple roles in the civilian world and in the military.
In May 1929 the Soviet Union signed an agreement with the Ford Motor Company. Under its terms, the Soviets agreed to purchase $13 million worth of automobiles and parts, while Ford agreed to give technical assistance until 1938 to construct an integrated automobile-manufacturing plant at Nizhny Novgorod. Production started on 1 January 1932, and the factory and marque was titled Nizhegorodsky Avtomobilny Zavod, or NAZ, but also displayed the "Ford" sign. GAZ's first vehicle was the medium-priced Ford Model A, sold as the NAZ-A, and a light truck, the Ford Model AA (NAZ-AA). NAZ-A production commenced in 1932 and lasted until 1936, during which time over 100,000 examples were built. In 1933, the factory's name changed to Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod, or GAZ, when the city was renamed after Maxim Gorky; similarly, models were renamed GAZ-A and GAZ-AA. From 1935 to 1956, the official name was augmented with imeni Molotova (literally, named after Molotov).
In the summer of 1941, Soviet industry was disrupted by the rapid advance of the German army. This was as much due to moving the various industrial plants out of reach as it was to them being overrun. One of the main shortages caused by this was a lack of stamped steel to use on the then current production of the Ford Model AA truck. This truck, dating from the mid 1920s, had been upgraded by GAZ from the GAZ-AA to the current production GAZ-MM (basically more horsepower). Anyway, this lack of stamped steel components resulted in many portions of the truck being made of wood, and this included the cab and fenders. It also saw the use of canvas in several applications for the roof and back of the cab. Some trucks were built without doors, something that made operation in winter something to be avoided.
In the military, the GAZ trucks were used as tractors for gun systems, fuel tankers, radio system, and even armored cars. By 1931, an anti-aircraft version was created as well, in order to give the Soviet Union a mobile anti-aircraft system to work with. The design had four Maxim Model 1910/30 machine guns installed on a mount on the truck. This configuration was called the 4M GAZ-AAA and served as a low-altitude air defense system after being adopted in 1931.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The American Jeep and the German Kübelwagen were without any doubt, the light vehicles (command car, reconnaissance car, personnel carrier,...) the most famous of 2nd World War. In 1943, the Russians started to develop a 4x4 cross-country vehicle more adapted to the Russian grounds on the basis of the jeep Willys MB American (that was delivered to 51500 copies to the USSR according to the Lend-Lease law), the GAZ-67.
Even in the thirties, the industry automobile hardly was not developed in Russia, and this country strongly depended on importations from Great Britain, United States, Germany, Italy... In 1931-1932, with the assistance of the Americans, the Soviet installed to Gorki a vast automobile factory, the GAZ (Gorkovski Avtomobilny Zavod). This factory started therefore to produce trucks GAZ-A and GAZ-AA (copied on the American Ford-A and Ford-AA) and also commander cars GAZ-M1 with the technical support of Ford. The first model of 4x4 produced by GAZ was the GAS-61 that inspired strongly the GAZ-64 (strongly inspired by the American Bantam). In 1943, the engineers of GAZ realized equally the GAS-67 big influenced by the Bantam BRC. Two models were realized the GAZ-67A and the GAZ-67B.
The two models very similar had nevertheless some differences. The tread of the GAZ-67A was of 1225 mm while the one of the GAZ-67B was of 1445 mm. The form of the radiator grille was equally different on the two models. The GAZ-67B had a fuel tank installed under the seat in addition of the one installed under the dashboard. The two jeeps were propelled by a 4 cylinders engine, cooled by water, developing 54 hp obtaining a speed maximum of 90 km/h. The performances of these vehicles were almost as high as that of the Willys MB. The GAZ-67B measured in length 3.350 m, in width: 1.685 m, in height (with hood) 1.700 m and weighed 1320 kg. It had a range on road of 500 km. It could embark 2 to 4 persons. The GAZ-64 was produced to 684 copies between August 1941 and at the end of 1942. The GAZ-67A was produced from September 1943 and to 1944. The GAZ-67B was produced from 1944 and to fall 1953. The two GAZ-67 versions were produced to 92843 copies but only 4851 in 1943-1945. One is far of the 51500 jeeps Willys MB delivered by the Americans during the war.
It was used as command car by the staff officers, as tractor for the anti-tank gun of 45 mm or as light vehicle of reconnaissance (with a machine gun). The GAZ-67B was employed in big quantities by the Soviet forces.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12976
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

1939 and 1940 were spent in massive reorganizations of the troops into mechanized and tank corps. The Cavalry formation was influenced by the Spanish Civil War and the Battle of France and their disbandment forced by the inability to properly supply and manage large formations. The role of cavalry was unexpectedly boosted by the setbacks suffered by mechanized forces in 1939 in Poland and in 1939–1940 in Finland.
A standard Soviet 1941 rifle division of 14,483 men relied on horse logistics and had a supply train of 3,039 horses, half of the complement of the 1941 German infantry division. Various reorganizations made Soviet units smaller and leaner; the last divisional standard (December 1944), beefed up against the 1943 minimum, provided for only 1,196 horses for a regular division and 1,155 horses for a Guards division. By this time few divisions ever had more than half of their standard human complement, and their logistic capacities were downgraded accordingly.
In real life cavalry and infantry units were stripped of their tanks and trucks, being purely horse and foot troops with reduced mobility and firepower. Even the stripped-down divisions were too large to be effectively handled by their inexperienced commanders and were easily disorganized and destroyed by the Germans (for example, 60 to 80 percent of the 6th Cavalry Corps were destroyed on June 22 as they struggled to assemble in formation).
By the end of 1941 organizational problems were solved by further reducing units into "light cavalry" divisions with a strength of roughly half of a "normal" cavalry division (3,447 men in three regiments). Losses of tanks and trucks in the summer of 1941 made these eighty divisions, combined into Cavalry Corps, "about the only mobile units left intact to the Soviets." These were used to attack en masse at critical points, ideally in cooperation with tanks but rarely with foot infantry.[90] In defense, cavalry was useful in checking enemy advances at an early stage, attacking German flanks and quickly evading enemy reaction.
Cavalry actions of 1941 were poorly led and executed, with high casualties; the tactics improved when cavalry divisions were reinforced with mechanized infantry units and anti-aircraft artillery. Combat losses and a severe winter reduced horse stocks to a point where 41 cavalry divisions were disbanded for the lack of horses. Horse stocks did not and could not recover and the remaining cavalry divisions, even when refit, never had a full complement of horses.
The concept of integrating cavalry, infantry and tank divisions (the future Tank Army) emerged as the Cavalry mechanized group (CMG) in the fall of 1942. The 1942 CMG functioned like a true Tank Army, but its infantry rode on horses, not trucks. These divisions acquired their own light tanks and increased to 5,700 men each. Their horse elements, although vulnerable to enemy fire, were indispensable in being able to keep pace with a tank breakthrough before the enemy could restore their defenses. Normally on the night before the offensive they concentrated in a jump-off area 12–15 kilometers from the front line, and charged past it together with the tanks as soon as the first wave had breached the enemy lines.
In 1943 the cavalry was relegated to auxiliary offensive tasks requiring all-terrain mobility – usually involving encirclement and mopping up of an enemy already shattered and split by tank forces. During the Voronezh Front operations in the Upper Don area under Golikov, Soviet cavalry struck out very successfully for Valuiki and under the pale winter sun on 19 January the horsemen in black capes and flying hoods charged down the hapless Italians, killing and wounding more than a thousand before the brief resistance by the fleeing, hungry and frostbitten men of the 5th Italian Infantry Division ended.
The 1944 Cavalry Corps, in turn, had up to 103 tanks and tank destroyers in addition to three Cavalry Divisions (4,700 men with 76-mm field guns and no armor). By the end of the war with Germany, Soviet cavalry returned to its pre-war nominal strength of seven cavalry corps, or one cavalry corps per each tank army. The CMGs of the period (one Tank Corps and one Cavalry Corps) were regularly weapons of choice in operations where terrain prohibited the use of fully deployed Tank Armies.
The last CMG action in the war took place in August 1945 during the invasion of Manchuria. General Issa Pliyev's CMG, marching to Peking across the Gobi Desert, was actually manned by Mongolian cavalrymen – four Mongolian cavalry divisions in addition to one Soviet cavalry division, plus five mechanized brigades with heavy tanks. They were opposed by the horsemen of Inner Mongolia who fell back without fighting.


Image
Attachments
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg
HaLSoviet..Catalog.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
Semper fidelis
Post Reply

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”