ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos
Dont forget that bombardment TF to be succesfull must see what is aiming for. It is far harder to spot camouflaged CD guns than to see a ship in open waters. Actual leser maximum range of 6 inch CD guns than those 16 inch put on BB doesn't matter, as land based guns have greater effective (I mean range of seing results of its own fire) range of fire while aiming at ships, than ships aiming at land targets.
I'm not sure I brought up this point before, though I had certainly thought it, and it is this, just what makes us think that bombard missions are focusing on CD's? I know it may seem natural to assume that, given how we often see one unit attacking every other opposing unit, but we can't be too sure it was programmed that way, can we? Especially when these are mobile guns isn't it entirely possible that the bombardment group has no idea of their density and therefore may only fire sporadic fire to the usual places and instead concentrate fire, at least early on, on airfields or buildings, etc?



