Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- Jorge_Stanbury
- Posts: 4345
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
- Location: Montreal
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
I guess if you don't use the IJN Babs for front line service, you wouldn't need to add a production line for them, which is good;
I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers
I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
I guess if you don't use the IJN Babs for front line service, you wouldn't need to add a production line for them, which is good;
I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers
I have no production line for babs
- Jorge_Stanbury
- Posts: 4345
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
- Location: Montreal
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
I guess if you don't use the IJN Babs for front line service, you wouldn't need to add a production line for them, which is good;
I think I would start with using them for a few turns to maybe a week, in lower risk places, within normal range, then when the need for recon is reduced, make them trainers
I have no production line for babs
which makes sense,
this is a carry forward from the times, long ago, when I was copying Mike Solli's aircraft production details
in my last (currently abandoned) Japan vs AI game I decided not to build IJN Babs and just keep squadrons below maximum if needed be... I also kept building Petes, but more for role playing reasons
Are you planning to use Emily flying boat patrols? I think I prefer Mavis for the simple fact it will fly more often;
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
A6M8 uses Ha-33 engine, and has higher DUR ... you get more damaged aircraft, fewer lost pilots as compared to the 5c.
Pax
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Yes, on Emily. By the time the arrive, they will receive hopefully expert level pilots trained in naval attacks, and will make up a corp of special night naval attack squadrons aimed at hitting Allied carriers and invasions something I wouldn't do in a normal game.[;)]
Yes, I am looking forward to the A6M8 greatly, and consider it a poor mans George if I can get it super early. I devoted 5 factories to the Ha33, and currently have 117 in pool. Problem is Vals, Jakes, Mavis, and Nell use them....so some of those planes will be in short supply early on.
I am going with the Topsy 1 (Ha5 engine) early until the pools run out then Topsy II.
No production of any single engine light bomber, nor naval recon, nor babs army recon.
Generally speaking I find that after the early chaos, Betties and Nells are best used as naval search or bombing in China to gain experience....So Dinah won't be pulling the naval search alone. Jakes will be pulling a lot of night naval search where losses are much noticeably less than daytime naval search.
Guess I can put Jake on subs too. My goodness.
I never really had a problem with losing Babs recon in 1942.
I am such an intel gathering freak that I will never sting on recon/search and I keep most recon squadrons as recon (those that can switch into fighters) with the exception of the recon that goes night fighter.
Yes, I am looking forward to the A6M8 greatly, and consider it a poor mans George if I can get it super early. I devoted 5 factories to the Ha33, and currently have 117 in pool. Problem is Vals, Jakes, Mavis, and Nell use them....so some of those planes will be in short supply early on.
I am going with the Topsy 1 (Ha5 engine) early until the pools run out then Topsy II.
No production of any single engine light bomber, nor naval recon, nor babs army recon.
Generally speaking I find that after the early chaos, Betties and Nells are best used as naval search or bombing in China to gain experience....So Dinah won't be pulling the naval search alone. Jakes will be pulling a lot of night naval search where losses are much noticeably less than daytime naval search.
Guess I can put Jake on subs too. My goodness.
I never really had a problem with losing Babs recon in 1942.
I am such an intel gathering freak that I will never sting on recon/search and I keep most recon squadrons as recon (those that can switch into fighters) with the exception of the recon that goes night fighter.
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
A little Japanese subterfuge, using waypoints to mess with Allied intel...I probably will tweak this yet again and set up a false deep destination point...something like Denpassar or Timor or Dili etc. Let him think I am going deep and exposed when in reality I am looking to consolidate where I am now and get coverage up.
Generally I like to try and minimize losses early in this chaotic expansion phase, and look to engage any Allied SAGs at night with small multiple task forces.
Jolo will become a rearming base for destroyers, which I will ask a lot of in the following days, plus the Kates and Vals will fly from there as soon as it is taken. Trick is getting the AD there and then keeping it alive.
Boise, Houston, Marblehead and some destroyers are in the neighborhood!
PS: I like to use support ships as escorts since they won't default to unload cargo, and I also think it gives them a bit of an advantage in avoiding combat.

Generally I like to try and minimize losses early in this chaotic expansion phase, and look to engage any Allied SAGs at night with small multiple task forces.
Jolo will become a rearming base for destroyers, which I will ask a lot of in the following days, plus the Kates and Vals will fly from there as soon as it is taken. Trick is getting the AD there and then keeping it alive.
Boise, Houston, Marblehead and some destroyers are in the neighborhood!
PS: I like to use support ships as escorts since they won't default to unload cargo, and I also think it gives them a bit of an advantage in avoiding combat.

- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (419.31 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
I need Cagayan, Davao and Cebu to close out runway threats in this area. Low flying float planes and cats will always be a problem, but perhaps I can set up a few traps for them here early on.
Allies have strong dl on all IJN task forces.

Allies have strong dl on all IJN task forces.

- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (191.88 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
So, the question is this day will Lok consider his starting Navy disposable or will he pursue some flank speed runs to escape with them. I am thinking he will attempt to escape with Houston, Boise, Marblehead, Repulse and Mauritius. Need to cover both bases though.
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Okay, you min maxers….how in the world does Chichi get to select Southern Army for a change?
I want to change quite a few bases this game, so fly off some of the air mobile troops to garrison these islands and Hokkaido, maybe some of the Kuriles, etc., etc.
Normally I would free up a small unit with AV, ship it to the desired base, convert it to say General Defense and then convert the base to General Defense...
Obviously I am missing something here that lets Chichi change...anyone know what it is?

I want to change quite a few bases this game, so fly off some of the air mobile troops to garrison these islands and Hokkaido, maybe some of the Kuriles, etc., etc.
Normally I would free up a small unit with AV, ship it to the desired base, convert it to say General Defense and then convert the base to General Defense...
Obviously I am missing something here that lets Chichi change...anyone know what it is?

- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (222.16 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Just realized Tokyo and Osaka start with forts 9.[X(]


- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Maybe that was an historical change that was programmed in the game?ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Okay, you min maxers….how in the world does Chichi get to select Southern Army for a change?
I want to change quite a few bases this game, so fly off some of the air mobile troops to garrison these islands and Hokkaido, maybe some of the Kuriles, etc., etc.
Normally I would free up a small unit with AV, ship it to the desired base, convert it to say General Defense and then convert the base to General Defense...
Obviously I am missing something here that lets Chichi change...anyone know what it is?
![]()
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
- RADM.Yamaguchi
- Posts: 849
- Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:09 pm
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
any combined fleet LCU allows you to change the base to Southern Army
glad i could contribute something
glad i could contribute something
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
I don't know if you know this but you can make a mine sweeping TF with just Ansyu PBs in it but only if there is a type of mine sweeping ship in the hex. The Ansyu PBs will slowly sweep mines at 1 or 2 per cleaning session BUT they can survive a mine blast, although heavily damaged. If you own the port, they will form an escort TF and immediately disband into it. It is cheaper than losing a minesweeper.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Finished the 2nd turn, which is usually pretty conservative for me as Japan. Sweeps, small strikes, etc. Waiting to see how Lok responds...
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
According to Lok, his first turn is almost done....
he especially mentioned this strike, which is the first of many Mavis/Emily strikes for this game.
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kiungshan at 71,61
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes
Japanese aircraft
H6K4 Mavis x 12
Japanese aircraft losses
H6K4 Mavis: 1 damaged
Allied Ships
DD Thracian
DD Scout, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x H6K4 Mavis launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
he especially mentioned this strike, which is the first of many Mavis/Emily strikes for this game.
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kiungshan at 71,61
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes
Japanese aircraft
H6K4 Mavis x 12
Japanese aircraft losses
H6K4 Mavis: 1 damaged
Allied Ships
DD Thracian
DD Scout, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x H6K4 Mavis launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Dec 8, 1941
What promises to be a bloody day...
Near Jolo the IJN Destroyer Squadron does their duty, protecting the Yusen N that dropped troops off at Jolo…

What promises to be a bloody day...
Near Jolo the IJN Destroyer Squadron does their duty, protecting the Yusen N that dropped troops off at Jolo…

- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (327.55 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
They continue on and find the stricken Marblehead...


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (277.56 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
And then the action moves to Singers with a lone minelayer making a beeline to Palembang...


- Attachments
-
- a.jpg (271.2 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Swing back to Jolo area, and the Chokai does alright further depleting the American cruisers ammo and hurting the Houston, sinking the Bulmer...


- Attachments
-
- animatedarmorimage.jpg (295.76 KiB) Viewed 308 times
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)
Then the reports start coming in from near Singapore again, and again...


- Attachments
-
- admiral.jpg (275.71 KiB) Viewed 308 times





