OT: Gary Gygax

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by Nikademus »

pfff....its been 20+ years. I could have sworn i saw one for a wizard but you had to be like 40th level or something as it was like 18th level spell.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Well, you can always Wish somebody back to life...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by Nikademus »

but not with Limited Wish. it had to be the better spell.....probably 18th level again. [:D] ah.....geek-dom. I can feel the zits coming back.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Spells only went to level 9. You're not geeky enough...[:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by Nikademus »

really? did it increase to 18 with 2nd or 3rd edition?
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by DuckofTindalos »

There was never an 18th level of spells. Your geek quotient keeps dropping...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by Nikademus »

ah....your right. I was confusing the fact that you had to be like 18th level or higher to get ONE 9th level spell and so on and so on. Told you it'd been a while!!!!
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by niceguy2005 »

Sadly, I followed D&D for years....but as a lad the crowd I hung out with wasn't geeky enough. [:(]

It does occur to me though that with today's forums an instant messenger systems one could do an online version incredibly easily.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
FeurerKrieg
Posts: 3400
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Denver, CO

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Sad news!! I missed this also.

I still have hopes of getting some AD&D gaming going sometime, my kids seem interested, but not quite old enough to be able to sit around a table for 8 hrs with pizza and beer.

I'm a fan of the 1st Ed AD&D also - and also had some favorites that Gary had his name on such as the whole greyhawk campaign set, and the awesome Temple of Elemental Evil module.

Damn... you know you are getting older when your favorite authors and actors all start to die off....
Image
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ah....your right. I was confusing the fact that you had to be like 18th level or higher to get ONE 9th level spell and so on and so on. Told you it'd been a while!!!!

Your geekiness has rusted as your waistline's expanded and your hairline has receded.[:D][:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by Nikademus »

your confusing me with your mirror again.

User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by DuckofTindalos »

No. So pffffttt to you...[:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Sad news!! I missed this also.

I still have hopes of getting some AD&D gaming going sometime, my kids seem interested, but not quite old enough to be able to sit around a table for 8 hrs with pizza and beer.

I'm a fan of the 1st Ed AD&D also - and also had some favorites that Gary had his name on such as the whole greyhawk campaign set, and the awesome Temple of Elemental Evil module.

Damn... you know you are getting older when your favorite authors and actors all start to die off....
I'd suggest a game if I wasn't completely addicted to witp....and if I hadn't done a brain dump of all the rules at least a couple decades ago.

....still...
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by bradfordkay »

Last night (after sending off my PBEM turn) I fired up a Neverwinter Nights savegame and played until bedtime in memorial. I know that NWN is using the Wizards of the Coast ruleset, but it's still the same basic D&D that Gary Gygax created so many years ago - and it's the only version of D&D I have installed on this computer!

I was introduced to D&D in '76 when an old high school wargaming buddy came to visit with his new discovery. In preparation for his visit (he was going to school in NC but was visiting his sister in Georgia for Christmas), he created an entry level dungeon for me to explore. I had a lot of fun, but it never took precedence over my wargames (or even sports games). I'll still fire up a CRPG on occasion for a little fantasy relief from WITP, but there is still only one overriding feature in my life: The Turn. Each day, The Turn takes precedence over nearly everything else...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Sad news!! I missed this also.

I still have hopes of getting some AD&D gaming going sometime, my kids seem interested, but not quite old enough to be able to sit around a table for 8 hrs with pizza and beer.

I'm a fan of the 1st Ed AD&D also - and also had some favorites that Gary had his name on such as the whole greyhawk campaign set, and the awesome Temple of Elemental Evil module.

Damn... you know you are getting older when your favorite authors and actors all start to die off....
I'd suggest a game if I wasn't completely addicted to witp....and if I hadn't done a brain dump of all the rules at least a couple decades ago.

....still...

If it weren't for WitP, I would love to crank up a game. Particularly with Instant Messaging, you could have a lot of fun. But, there must be no game before WitP! [&o][:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
decaro
Posts: 4004
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:05 pm
Location: Stratford, Connecticut
Contact:

RE: OT: Gary Gygax

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I just heard that Gary Gygax died today at 69. [:(]

From today's NYT:

Today millions of people are slaves to Gary Gygax. They play EverQuest and World of Warcraft, and someone must still be hanging out in Second Life. (That “massively multiplayer” computer traffic, by the way, also helped drive the development of the sort of huge server clouds that power Google.)

Apparently some of these same players are also slaves to WitP!

For the full story, click here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/opini ... &th&emc=th


Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”