new component line of sight

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

User avatar
big dawg
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Georgia, USA

RE: new component line of sight

Post by big dawg »

Jason,

I like the LOS idea as a option that can be selected for certain scenarios(like the armor facing rule), but can be turned off if it is agreed to by both PBEM opponents.  I think many would like it as an option, but others only want it for scenarios where the weather was unstable. 

Being able to choose to use this option (or not) at the beginning of the game would resolve the problem.
Thanks always!


User avatar
timshin42
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:21 am
Location: Edgewater, Florida, USA

RE: new component line of sight

Post by timshin42 »

Mr Roadrunner,

I can take or leave the "improvements". I'm not a purist, but am quite happy with the game as it is, without the "bugs". Have recently joined the fine Ladder you moderate, and am running chronologically through the SEA LION scenarios in PBEM.

I happen to be fond of "Linked Campaigns" (Oh rats! I mentioned that strange incomprehensible thing; "campaigns"), and have been patiently waiting since September/October for those bugs to be fixed. Now that they are, I'm a happy camper!

Way back when, I played Allied General and Panzer General, abandoning them when the Talonsoft games started appearing.
I personally felt that PANZER GENERAL-3D was a useless bit of fluff, quite retrograde, so I never even tried it. Thus I have absolutely no interest in this hybrid thingamajig that is being touted. But to each his own! Some folks think turn-based simulation games are a waste of time. Who cares? I love all the John Tiller games, but especialy EF/WF/RS.

Regards
timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"
User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

RE: new component line of sight

Post by junk2drive »

I heard somewhere that the sky is falling but after re-reading some posts I think it is just raining.
 
An option button would be nice but I don't think I will throw the game away if it never happens.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: new component line of sight

Post by MrRoadrunner »

timshin42, people don't "get" my humour at first but, they eventually warm up to me? [8|]
I must welcome you when, I post again, at The Blitz.
I played campaigns when I first was trying out the game. The AI soon proved too "easy" and I had too many crashes that lost the campaign before I could finish. I only saw one that ended with the "end of the war" and there was no "reward", badge, medal, or comment. The screen went black after the last turn of the last game and the message of "game over".
Nothing raises the hair on the back of your head playing this game, as does playing it against another Human. When given a choice of three solutions, humans will often pick a fourth?

I look forward to your interaction here and at The Blitz. [:)]

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
scottintacoma
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 am

RE: new component line of sight

Post by scottintacoma »

I think have this as an option similar to Armor Facing, FOW, and Artillery by map location would be great.

Post Reply

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”