1.03 patch?

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

User avatar
MarshallEllis
Posts: 5632
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:00 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by MarshallEllis »

I might take a look at that Jimmer!
Thanks for the help.
 
 
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games


User avatar
Jimmer
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by Jimmer »

No problem.
 
I guess the rule of thumb should be:
 
Anything that can be configured by the user, allow said configuring as an option. If you set the defaults as they are now (or, whatever you settle on), but then let us pick different numbers, we can come back and let you know how it played.
 
"Hey, I tried playing France giving all of the AIs 10 VP per turn, and got slaughtered. But, at 3 it was a reasonable game."
 
Etc.
 
What might be even more interesting is to allow a set number of PP to be added periodically. I would say that adding even 1 per econ phase might be unbalancing for the AIs, but perhaps "add 1 PP per year" or something might do the trick.
 
Essentially, allow people playing against the AI to configure the difficulty. You would still want to have the easy, hard, and in-between options for strategic changes (easy makes more "accidental" errors, for instance), but to allow the players to choose the challenge level with precision would go a long ways towards making the AI more palatable as an opponent.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
iamspamus
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by iamspamus »

Oh, M.E., I've noticed that for a couple of minors when defending their capitals, they will pick withdraw. I'd say that if a minor is defending it's capital, it should NEVER pick withdraw. Make the guy taking the space take his lumps and lose as many units as possible.

Jason
NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

Oh, M.E., I've noticed that for a couple of minors when defending their capitals, they will pick withdraw. I'd say that if a minor is defending it's capital, it should NEVER pick withdraw. Make the guy taking the space take his lumps and lose as many units as possible.

Jason

This is not a good idea. There might be an instance where it is better to withdraw and then come back with more and better troops/leaders to defend the capital rather than staying and losing precious factors/leaders.
sw30
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by sw30 »

NeverMan is right, but this would matter only if the controlling major is at war with the attacker. And the controlling major has a rescue force within range of the conflict before conquest occurs.
iamspamus
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by iamspamus »

Show me a minor with a leader... I know that a major could place one down. Let me clarify for you.

Dowed Morocco.
Moved in to attack capital.
He picked withdraw.
Country fell.

Dowed Algeria.
Moved in to attack capital.
He picked withdraw.
Country fell.

It happened a bit in the German states as well.

So, to be very clear...If the minor country is not defended by a major OR supported in any way OR if that major can't get there, then disallow withdraw. It's not rocket science.

Jason
ORIGINAL: NeverMan

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

Oh, M.E., I've noticed that for a couple of minors when defending their capitals, they will pick withdraw. I'd say that if a minor is defending it's capital, it should NEVER pick withdraw. Make the guy taking the space take his lumps and lose as many units as possible.

Jason

This is not a good idea. There might be an instance where it is better to withdraw and then come back with more and better troops/leaders to defend the capital rather than staying and losing precious factors/leaders.
NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by NeverMan »

Sorry iam, I should have been more specific, I was trying to be general.

Also, if the corps stays and defends the capital of a minor then it's possible someone (some AI MP) is going to lose PP so that's not a good idea either. Ideally if the corps can fit into the city then that's what he/she should do.

I still don't think disallowing withdraw is a good idea. I think there's a better way to approach this that can give the AI more flexibility.
User avatar
Jimmer
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by Jimmer »

Even for the countries that have more than one corps, I cannot imagine how withdraw can be the right selection.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
NeverMan
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 am

RE: 1.03 patch?

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Even for the countries that have more than one corps, I cannot imagine how withdraw can be the right selection.

Ever? I guess I just think that "ever" or "never" is a strong word. IMO, the AI should make an informed decision. If it's not currently doing that then it needs to be fixed to do that.
Post Reply

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”