Schwerpunkt Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Alan Sharif
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:00 am
Location: UK.
Contact:

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Alan Sharif »

I actually think the East Front game is the better of the two for a solo player as the AI in the Western Front game is rubbish imo. So, unless you have someone to game with go for the East Front game.  I am looking forward to his Arab-Israeli game and find the interface manageable but agree clicking on every unit is a nightmare. 
A Sharif
User avatar
V22 Osprey
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Corona, CA

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by V22 Osprey »

Haven't tried any of these games yet. Seeing the reactions about the interface, I think I will wait and start off with the middle east title.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
User avatar
Emilio
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Valencia (Spain)

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Emilio »

I don't understand why so many discussions about RGW and AGW. Just take an old game and see its UI if is match for today games. RGW has some years rolling out, and AGW is a bit newer, but based in the same concept (not the same engine). Same about IA (or, as Ron calls, Computer Opponent).

The new Middle East game looks very promising, and it will be the platform to develop WW-II Europe.

I own both, RGW & AGW. True, I like more RGW because I have more space for my tanks, but man, it's Russia. Mobile warfare is made for it :D. Until now I didn't find a similar game for enjoying the East Front, maybe the incoming War in the East, but still in the kitchen...

I will also take Middle East, since no company excepting Simulations Canada (incoming Flashpoint MDE) is interested in such war area. Maybe it could be a good mix. Flashpoint MDE for a more tactical approach and Middle East 1948-2010 for a strategical one.
Emilio
User avatar
Widell
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Trollhättan, Sweden

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Widell »

I don't think it's about the UI as such, it's more about the general design philosophy of the UI which is not simplistic, to say the least, for these games. 
User avatar
V22 Osprey
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Corona, CA

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Emilio

I don't understand why so many discussions about RGW and AGW. Just take an old game and see its UI if is match for today games. RGW has some years rolling out, and AGW is a bit newer, but based in the same concept (not the same engine). Same about IA (or, as Ron calls, Computer Opponent).

The new Middle East game looks very promising, and it will be the platform to develop WW-II Europe.

I own both, RGW & AGW. True, I like more RGW because I have more space for my tanks, but man, it's Russia. Mobile warfare is made for it :D. Until now I didn't find a similar game for enjoying the East Front, maybe the incoming War in the East, but still in the kitchen...

I will also take Middle East, since no company excepting Simulations Canada (incoming Flashpoint MDE) is interested in such war area. Maybe it could be a good mix. Flashpoint MDE for a more tactical approach and Middle East 1948-2010 for a strategical one.

Modern Wars Vol 1(JTCS Modern Warfare module) will cover the Middle East wars. Using the same engine as JTCS, means it will also be a tactical platoon level game. So Flashpoint is not the only MDE game incoming. Should release in the next couple of months.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
User avatar
Capt Cliff
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:48 pm
Location: Northwest, USA

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Capt Cliff »

I have a Schwerpunkt Game and found it unplayable. Why they tried to mimic a old paper chit game is beyond me.
Capt. Cliff
User avatar
Templer_12
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Templer_12 »

Schwerpunkt Games published World War II - Europe.
Any opinions on this?
User avatar
Gilmer
Posts: 1523
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 pm
Contact:

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Gilmer »

So, can you still not download the games? I thought they had updated that?
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
User avatar
Grim.Reaper
Posts: 1337
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

So, can you still not download the games? I thought they had updated that?
Schwerpunkt Games

They can be downloaded now. I believe they send you a link to a drop box after the order has been made.

http://schwerpunkt.wargamer.com/
User avatar
bayonetbrant
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: the rare sane part of the southeastern US
Contact:

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: Templer

Schwerpunkt Games published World War II - Europe.
And opinions on this?


first impressions article here http://grogheads.com/?p=6978

bigger review coming in January
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by warspite1 »

When I go onto the website it says the game is Under Development [&:] What am I missing?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Grim.Reaper
Posts: 1337
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Grim.Reaper »

It's definetly been released.....however, it only includes half the expected scenarios right now, but that still is around 50.
Aurelian
Posts: 4090
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by Aurelian »

I'm waiting for the campaign before I buy.
Building a new PC.
marcpennington
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by marcpennington »

I've picked it up and been rather impressed so far. Its still in rough shape with plenty more scenarios to come, as well as numerous interface tweaks per the forums. But even in its rough state, its a very enjoyable game, with an elegant board game system that generates results more seemingly historical than many more "realistic" games out there. The map is also amazing, as our the counters--- great bits of clear graphical design.

The interface was very rough for the first few days, but it has begun to grow on me a bit, and Ron has been very active in the forums and already pumped out one helpful patch.

Honestly, my sense is this may be one of the sleeper games that we'll still be playing 10 years from now.
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by warspite1 »

How is the naval war handled, unit wise?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
marcpennington
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How is the naval war handled, unit wise?


I'll be honest, I've been kinda avoiding scenarios with a heavy naval element while learning the system. But roughly, naval units are tracked as individual counters with different ship types, one can assign them to missions such as landings, ground combat support, convoying, or protecting supply in an area. One way of describing it, is it's a fair bit more varied and detailed then WiTE, but no where near so the detail level of WiTW (at least as far as planning landings go.)
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: map66

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How is the naval war handled, unit wise?


I'll be honest, I've been kinda avoiding scenarios with a heavy naval element while learning the system. But roughly, naval units are tracked as individual counters with different ship types, one can assign them to missions such as landings, ground combat support, convoying, or protecting supply in an area. One way of describing it, is it's a fair bit more varied and detailed then WiTE, but no where near so the detail level of WiTW (at least as far as planning landings go.)
warspite1

Thank-you.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
marcpennington
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: map66

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How is the naval war handled, unit wise?


I'll be honest, I've been kinda avoiding scenarios with a heavy naval element while learning the system. But roughly, naval units are tracked as individual counters with different ship types, one can assign them to missions such as landings, ground combat support, convoying, or protecting supply in an area. One way of describing it, is it's a fair bit more varied and detailed then WiTE, but no where near so the detail level of WiTW (at least as far as planning landings go.)
warspite1

Thank-you.


Also worth mentioning that air/naval operations are carried out in a seperate WEGO phase, as opposed to the UGO/IGO ground combat, which in my limited experience seems to at least limit a bit abusive landing tactics and such.

AndyG1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:24 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by AndyG1 »

Can you post a link to the Forums for this game. I'm trying to find details for the patch (I purchased about 3 weeks ago) but can't find it on their main website (which looks like it's not been updated yet?).

Thanks
marcpennington
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 pm

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: AndyG1

Can you post a link to the Forums for this game. I'm trying to find details for the patch (I purchased about 3 weeks ago) but can't find it on their main website (which looks like it's not been updated yet?).

Thanks


http://www.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163

The patch is actually in the same drop box link Ron sent you when you originally purchased the game--- just click it again and you should find it.

And yeah, that main Schwerpunkt page badly needs upgrading... Like the game, it is rough.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”