I am sincerely concerned
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
-
Supervisor
- Posts: 5160
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am
nicks
Long time ago I needed a nick to play a game (can't even remember what is was). I saw a Cirrus Logic graphics adapter box on my table and there it was. 
Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"
Well my nick (Chief) came natural....its what I was called for quite a while in Uncle Sams War Canoe Club...since they gave it to me for life (a former lifer) I just kept it. Besides the pay is good. For some of you who want some nicks for GI's try "wrap leg", "Dough boy", why you might even use Beetle Baily or Otto......
Please don't flame me for the last bit, its meant in fun. In reply to the gentleman who said us yanks gave you the word 'ain't', didn't you give us the expression/word 'eh' ......eh ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
-
Rick Borovec
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Rochester, Washington
Well, there is always "Colonel of the Urinal" but I doubt anyone would want that as a nick. Whatever happened to "grunt" and "ground pounder" as terms for an infantryman?
The term I never see anymore and haven't for many years is "dogface" which I think comes from the American Indian - isn't it Bill Mauldin's "Up Front" where the term is used, often shortened merely to "doggie"?
(I grew uip with that book and loved it - especially the cartoon where the old cavalry Sgt. has run a Jeep into the ditch, broken the axle and is about to shoot it in the hood with his .45 - his eyes covered, natch.)
Heck, I just learned today what nOOb means.
Bing
The term I never see anymore and haven't for many years is "dogface" which I think comes from the American Indian - isn't it Bill Mauldin's "Up Front" where the term is used, often shortened merely to "doggie"?
(I grew uip with that book and loved it - especially the cartoon where the old cavalry Sgt. has run a Jeep into the ditch, broken the axle and is about to shoot it in the hood with his .45 - his eyes covered, natch.)
Heck, I just learned today what nOOb means.
Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
I have a wonderful hardcover copy of Bill Maudlins book Up Front as well as a copy of the movie by the same name of his book.
Damn shame that the average civilian won't understand the jokes, but the beauty is that it makes sense to a soldier regardless of nation or time period.
Anyone that hasnt read the book, hey why not dang it! Its required reading.
Damn shame that the average civilian won't understand the jokes, but the beauty is that it makes sense to a soldier regardless of nation or time period.
Anyone that hasnt read the book, hey why not dang it! Its required reading.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Many years ago...
In a place far away...
I was a stores manager in a large mining equipment
workshop. One day one of the fitters called me Possum, and it stuck.
The reason?
I'm Shy, and harmless looking, untill someone entered my store without permission, whereapon I'd (figeratively) bite them. (Just like any small furry animal would do if cornered in it's burrow.)
I'm also very curious and and have a warped/cheeky sense of humor.... Just like an Australian Ring tailed Possum....
I've been known to many people in real life, as Possum now for about 18 years.
So when it came time to select a handle, Possum it was.
In a place far away...
I was a stores manager in a large mining equipment
workshop. One day one of the fitters called me Possum, and it stuck.
The reason?
I'm Shy, and harmless looking, untill someone entered my store without permission, whereapon I'd (figeratively) bite them. (Just like any small furry animal would do if cornered in it's burrow.)
I'm also very curious and and have a warped/cheeky sense of humor.... Just like an Australian Ring tailed Possum....
I've been known to many people in real life, as Possum now for about 18 years.
So when it came time to select a handle, Possum it was.
"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.
Aw come on Tracer, I'm not that old and not that out of it. The kids make up their own language and expect us to instantly understand their jargon. When our beautiful language becomes mangled in this fashion, it is difficult for me to cope with same.Originally posted by tracer
Uh oh...somebody saw Bing in half and count the rings![]()
Sort of like ... do you know the difference between horse manure and lemons?
Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
I found a decent primer for l337-5p34k
(That's literally 'LEET-SPEAK)
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d90w9e/l337463.htm
Rather well done analysis actually...
(That's literally 'LEET-SPEAK)
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d90w9e/l337463.htm
Rather well done analysis actually...
NaKATPase:
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.
"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS
Colocalized with coracle in septate junctions.
"I'd love to step out, but I'd have to see the girl first." -- GM
"A lot of frogs are like that when they're young and repulsive." -- TS
I will respectfully refrain. I like our language just the way it is - and wish people would not keep trying to make something out of it that it is not. To each his own - whatever cranks your engine.
Do I doubt correctly this sort of misuse of the language would be accepted in the business world - when communicating with adults, that is?
Welcome to the brave new - verbally challenged - world.
Bing
Do I doubt correctly this sort of misuse of the language would be accepted in the business world - when communicating with adults, that is?
Welcome to the brave new - verbally challenged - world.
Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Regarding Leet speak
Nah I have been married 15 years. Leet speak is petty and minor as compared to he said she said.
With leet speak an error in interpretation doesnt have you sitting alone glassy eyed abusing yourself sucessfully and saying "it doesnt really matter, this is ok".
Nah I have been married 15 years. Leet speak is petty and minor as compared to he said she said.
With leet speak an error in interpretation doesnt have you sitting alone glassy eyed abusing yourself sucessfully and saying "it doesnt really matter, this is ok".
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
-
Antonius
- Posts: 190
- Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Saint Arnoult en Yvelines FRANCE
- Contact:
I would hate to miss an opportunity to improve my understanding of English. Would you please expalin what "leet speak" is or means ?Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
Regarding Leet speak
Nah I have been married 15 years. Leet speak is petty and minor as compared to he said she said.
With leet speak an error in interpretation doesnt have you sitting alone glassy eyed abusing yourself sucessfully and saying "it doesnt really matter, this is ok".![]()
And if you wonder who's hiding behind "Antonius", it's just me, i.e. Daniel Gösta Antonius Bottemanne, who at long last has found a use for his peculiar 3rd name.
Wargamo, ergo sum
gave to me
In 51 in korea after a very long and bitter dog fight. My buddy God Rest His Soul Turned to me and said Dam dont you blink,spit, scream or somethin. that dern bar was jumpin. You looked like a robot. Got around to some others kind of stuck.
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
-
Penetrator
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:18 pm
- Location: Iceland
Getting past that nickname thingy, which I don't think was the point of this thread, I have found most people on the SPWAW forum to be polite, easygoing, and focused on objective game/war issues. Of course, there have been exceptions. Some other Matrix forums that I sometimes visit (as a sort of self torture I guess) contain a very unhealthy mix of rancorous, offensive and mentally underdeveloped individuals (but a few sound minds also). Based on that I can relate to what drove you off those other forums. But I think we are lucky for the SPWAW forum. As Ford Fairlane said, it is an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!
- Charles2222
- Posts: 3687
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am
Les:
Here's a wild guess. I was thinking that it was a contraction for 'aren't;, then I wondered why it wouldn't be one for 'isn't', and, well, I'm probably wrong but it fits in real well don't it? It's a combination of both 'aren't' and 'isn't' (the 'a' for aren't, the 'i' for isn't). Perhaps it started when people couldn't make up their minds when either 'isn't' or 'aren't' were approprate. Would be wild if I were correct, wouldn't it?The US a nation that gave us the word "ain't". Just what is "ain't" a contraction of anyway?
Taking it from the bottom...
Ain't is a contraction for: am not, are not, is not, ; have not, has not; do not, does not, did not. At least I've seen it used in all those instances. It is informal, and originated in Britain, not the US. Ain't was used in Colonial times. (1778 was when it was added to the dictionary.)
Leet Speak is no different than any other form of slang language. It the 60s the hippies had their own venacular, in the 70s -- well we ain't quite sure what they did then. The only languages that do not develop and change in word usage are dead languages (like Latin) and French where the National Language Committee convenes periodically to add "official" new words to counter phrases such as "Le disk drive." If your language is stagnant, how long before the culture follows suit.
My handle comes from some friends who gave it to me when I was street skating in Houston as a means of daily transportation. The figured the play on my last name (Dare) was quite descriptive of my attitude, personality and what it was like dealing with me. :rolleyes: (I don't get the last part, but that's what they said.)
Lastly, (or firstly in the original order) I agree that the people on this site, even when dumping on you, tend to be polite, and friendly. It makes for better discussion and info exchage. I tend to avoid forums where the people just want to flame each other and call it conversation.
Oh, and I like this new format.
Ain't is a contraction for: am not, are not, is not, ; have not, has not; do not, does not, did not. At least I've seen it used in all those instances. It is informal, and originated in Britain, not the US. Ain't was used in Colonial times. (1778 was when it was added to the dictionary.)
Leet Speak is no different than any other form of slang language. It the 60s the hippies had their own venacular, in the 70s -- well we ain't quite sure what they did then. The only languages that do not develop and change in word usage are dead languages (like Latin) and French where the National Language Committee convenes periodically to add "official" new words to counter phrases such as "Le disk drive." If your language is stagnant, how long before the culture follows suit.
My handle comes from some friends who gave it to me when I was street skating in Houston as a means of daily transportation. The figured the play on my last name (Dare) was quite descriptive of my attitude, personality and what it was like dealing with me. :rolleyes: (I don't get the last part, but that's what they said.)
Lastly, (or firstly in the original order) I agree that the people on this site, even when dumping on you, tend to be polite, and friendly. It makes for better discussion and info exchage. I tend to avoid forums where the people just want to flame each other and call it conversation.
Oh, and I like this new format.
Challenge
War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Daniel Gösta Antonius Bottemanne - that is a wonderful name, I like it better than my own, could I borrow it for a time, I promise to bring it home with a full tank - oops.
Seriously, one does not see resounding names such as yours anymore, congratulations to your parents.
Bing
Seriously, one does not see resounding names such as yours anymore, congratulations to your parents.
Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Very few exceptions here ..for the most only Excellent people...
A very nice forum this one !
I think I am very lucky to have found here such a plenty of honest friendly humbly nice people !
It has been a lot I am surfing here..I can remember just two or three topics (no more ) where some boring people was criticing the game without constructive purposes...how do you say "whining " all the time...
I am very unhappy I can not speak english enough to understand all the meanings of many posts...I can only translate grammatic but some inner meanings and humorism is prevented to me..
what a pity !
On the other hand I hope people can enjoy my MANGLING Ruxius
you know, Les ?
About my nick it was choosen the first day I decided to join the forum with a sort of ceremony..
since I am a fun of the town where I was born (and I was born in Rome ), Ruxius is the ancient latin translation of my surname that in italian is "Russo".
A very nice forum this one !
I think I am very lucky to have found here such a plenty of honest friendly humbly nice people !
It has been a lot I am surfing here..I can remember just two or three topics (no more ) where some boring people was criticing the game without constructive purposes...how do you say "whining " all the time...
I am very unhappy I can not speak english enough to understand all the meanings of many posts...I can only translate grammatic but some inner meanings and humorism is prevented to me..
what a pity !
On the other hand I hope people can enjoy my MANGLING Ruxius
you know, Les ?
About my nick it was choosen the first day I decided to join the forum with a sort of ceremony..
since I am a fun of the town where I was born (and I was born in Rome ), Ruxius is the ancient latin translation of my surname that in italian is "Russo".
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!





