OT.. wake island

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: OT.. wake island

Post by spence »

I am pretty familiar with the movie - but I don't think they depicted any attack on any kind of CV - if I recall correctly the movie depicted successful attacks on numerous barges around Bataan, the sinking of a 'converted merchant cruiser', and culminated in the sinking of a Japanese CL (which was supposed to be a Mogami Class in the movie).

I checked the film ("They Were Expendable") and found two "mentions" of the sunken aircraft carrier: once on a shot of some sort of bulletin board (referred to as a "small aircraft carrier") and later when Lt Brinkley is trying to bum torpedoes from the Captain of an S-boat (referred to as "an auxiliary aircraft carrier").

I know that the PTs in the PI did not accomplish any great shakes but I sorta wonder if perhaps they did attack one of the IJN AVs at some point (a few of which are in the vicinity in WitP).
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”